Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well actually, aside from needing to be retracked and newer effects installed, our Space Mountain really is the best version.. The displays need to be redone and brought back to a level of cool, like in the beginning when it was the Home Of Future Living and the pre-show was aboard a space station...
Everything you've said points to why WDWs is not the best anymore.

What's more frustrating is that it so easily could be. By a huge margin.

Last edited:

Luxe

Well actually, aside from needing to be retracked and newer effects installed, our Space Mountain really is the best version.. The displays need to be redone and brought back to a level of cool, like in the beginning when it was the Home Of Future Living and the pre-show was aboard a space station... The others I agree with...Cliff notes Pirates, Super tiny short Peter Pan...It is crazy that what is supposed to be their largest resort Worldwide is treated the way they are... It should be actually the best versions of everything...
Still miss being able to see the cars whizzing around in space back in the day. I remember staring up into space watching the vehicles whip around knowing that would be me in a few minutes.

We just have video games in the queue now... yay.

hpyhnt 1000

Well actually, aside from needing to be retracked and newer effects installed, our Space Mountain really is the best version.. The displays need to be redone and brought back to a level of cool, like in the beginning when it was the Home Of Future Living and the pre-show was aboard a space station... The others I agree with...Cliff notes Pirates, Super tiny short Peter Pan...It is crazy that what is supposed to be their largest resort Worldwide is treated the way they are... It should be actually the best versions of everything...

@marni1971 nailed it. On paper, our Space Mountain should be the best in the world (and by a wide margin, too!). But in reality, with its decaying track, fuzzy audio, and broken effects, its woefully substandard compared to its world counterparts.

But at least we (finally) got a decent LED light system for it. Baby steps...

brb1006

@marni1971 nailed it. On paper, our Space Mountain should be the best in the world (and by a wide margin, too!). But in reality, with its decaying track, fuzzy audio, and broken effects, its woefully substandard compared to its world counterparts.

But at least we (finally) got a decent LED light system for it. Baby steps...
I really hope SM at WDW get's a refurb it deserves in the future. Especially sometime in 2019 or 2020.

Speedy71

Well well. Paris is set to reopen with what Orlando didn't get...

(This is not doom and gloom, merely the truth)

TDO makes me just wanna....
ASE2XO.gif

Why are we keep getting the short end of the stick!

cheezbat

I can't remember who exactly, but I remember listening to a podcast where an Imagineer said that he is shocked and somewhat concerned that our SM has not already been retracked.
It needs it bad. Each ride seems to get more and more rough. I'm almost not sure if im riding an old Arrow coaster at a Six Flags park or a worn out Magic Kingdom coaster.

Kman101

It'd be nice to ride MK's Space Mountain again. I haven't ridden for years because of how rickety and hard it is. It really needed a track replacement back in 2008/2009.

This is just another example of why a lot of us feel the way that they do.

brb1006

It needs it bad. Each ride seems to get more and more rough. I'm almost not sure if im riding an old Arrow coaster at a Six Flags park or a worn out Magic Kingdom coaster.
When I rode SM in 2016 I could barely make out the music you hear for a split second or so.

Bocabear

Still miss being able to see the cars whizzing around in space back in the day. I remember staring up into space watching the vehicles whip around knowing that would be me in a few minutes.

We just have video games in the queue now... yay.
I know! I really miss the visual of the glowing cars racing through the darkness...that was pretty cool. and seriously...when they did the last refurb enclosing the queue completely could they not have added ANYTHING for the Peoplemover's longest interior section to see? Hell, add a few more star projectrs by the track, add a few set pieces to convey the story that you are now in outer space...not just abig dark tunnel... Seems like a no brainer...

Marlins1

I know! I really miss the visual of the glowing cars racing through the darkness...that was pretty cool. and seriously...when they did the last refurb enclosing the queue completely could they not have added ANYTHING for the Peoplemover's longest interior section to see? Hell, add a few more star projectrs by the track, add a few set pieces to convey the story that you are now in outer space...not just abig dark tunnel... Seems like a no brainer...
I always say it was the only refurb that actually damaged two rides at once

Virtual Toad

Let's not forget the incredibly horrid decision to divert half of the queue through an unthemed, paint-peeling, plainly lit back corridor for the first time in the attraction's history. I still marvel at the fact that they spent a ton of money enclosing the queue only to route roughly half of the attraction's riders around it.

Marlins1

Let's not forget the incredibly horrid decision to divert half of the queue through an unthemed, paint-peeling, plainly lit back corridor for the first time in the attraction's history. I still marvel at the fact that they spent a ton of money enclosing the queue only to route roughly half of the attraction's riders around it.
Very true - you used to start at the back of the switches where you viewed the cars above then moved towards cars being loaded. Now you work your way to a dingy cramped hallway and emerge right before you get in your car. No buildup at all. It really was an amazingly bad set of changes to a ride that used to have a very cool aura.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom