A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Both OKW and SS are entirely DVC resorts, but rooms do fall into the Disney inventory and used for cash reservations (regular reservations). So, if you really want to find the "cheapest" rate for Deluxe rooms, I would think it would be at once of those resorts.
In the past the DVC resorts were in a separate category called "home away from home" instead of deluxe. Since all but SS and OKW share property and facilities with deluxe resorts they are usually lumped in as deluxe.

Bairstow

In the past the DVC resorts were in a separate category called "home away from home" instead of deluxe. Since all but SS and OKW share property and facilities with deluxe resorts they are usually lumped in as deluxe.

Which is kind of farcical, when you compare them to the actual deluxe resorts.
Saratoga has a lot more in common with Coronado than with the Polynesian.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which is kind of farcical, when you compare them to the actual deluxe resorts.
Saratoga has a lot more in common with Coronado than with the Polynesian.
Yes and there are levels within the levels. Coronado has the convention center so has some additional amenities above the other moderates including a business club level and available suites. Let's throw out the real world comparisons and definitions of what a true "luxury resort" should be and just talk in terms of Disney's room classes. I'm not sure what officially makes a resort deluxe vs moderate in Disney's eyes but here are a few things I would think should influence it:
  1. Room size: deluxe resorts should have bigger rooms.
    • Coronado Springs studio - 315 square feet
    • Saratoga Springs - 355 square feet
    • Old Key West Studio - 385 square feet
    • Contemporary Studio - 394 square feet
    • Poly studio - 415 square feet
  2. Resort size: the deluxe resorts tend to have less rooms which means less guests sharing common amenities like pools, buses and restaurants.
    • Coronado Springs - 1,915 rooms
    • Saratoga Springs - 1,260 rooms
    • Old Key West - 761 rooms
    • Poly - 847 rooms
    • CR - 655 rooms
  3. Transportation options. Deluxe resorts (except for AK Lodge) offer unique, non-bus transportation to at least 1 of the 4 theme parks. SSR and OKW fail this criteria.
  4. More elaborate theming including common areas and interior hallways to get to rooms. I'm not sure SSR or OKW hold up compared to the other deluxe resorts on this point but it's somewhat subjective.
  5. Better dining options including at least 1 upscale or deluxe restaurant.
  6. Enhanced services like Club level Concierge service, room service, spas or fitness center, valet parking, elaborate pool areas and recreation areas.
Based on the above criteria SSR and OKW are in between moderate and deluxe and that's where they are priced too. They generally have deluxe size rooms and some deluxe amenities but lack the elaborate theming of Wilderness Lodge or Poly or AK Lodge and they also lack somewhat in transportation with spread out rooms and multiple bus stops.

njDizFan

I think you'll see the the same happen to a lot of the smaller social media sites that are more fad-based. I don't expect Snapchat to live forever, either.
SnapChat is getting it's own IPO next year and reportedly being valued at 25-35 Billion. They are also rebranding as Snap soon with their own set of video glasses coming out this holiday season.

I have never used the site but it sounds like they have legs
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13039184/snapchat-spectacles-price-release-date-snap-inc
Edit for spelling, content

Stripes

No one in their right mind would bid for Netflix right now. They have such an overbloated valuation, it would take a century to recuperate the investment. Any talk of such a deal, by any company, are DOA.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really hope Disney doesn't screw up the 50th of WDW. It's a major milestone for the entire resort so Disney has got to do something extra special right?

It is a great excuse for an 18-24 month media campaign, new entertainment and, maybe, a few new attractions (some that will likely have debuted years before at other Disney parks). Oh, and lots of merchandise, lots and lots and ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just an FYI, but am trying to confirm some information I've been told and when I get that ... well, you'll get more news and Disney Twitter will all be acting insane as it usually does ... and people will simply borrow the information and claim they had it first or knew all the time.

If/when I get it, I will not place it here because I am not burying big picture stuff in a 300-plus page thread with a lot of garbage in between.

But I'd get ready ... and, no, I don't imagine that most of the info will make you happy or fill you with MAGIC. I don't make the news, I just tell it.

Nemo14

Just an FYI, but am trying to confirm some information I've been told and when I get that ... well, you'll get more news and Disney Twitter will all be acting insane as it usually does ... and people will simply borrow the information and claim they had it first or knew all the time.

If/when I get it, I will not place it here because I am not burying big picture stuff in a 300-plus page thread with a lot of garbage in between.

But I'd get ready ... and, no, I don't imagine that most of the info will make you happy or fill you with MAGIC. I don't make the news, I just tell it.
*fire up the pixie dust cannons!*

WDW1974

Original Poster
I could see TDO encouraging bloggers to pump more PR time into certain locations, but not asking them to give bad reviews to a new restaurant renting on their property. Seems quite counterproductive.

Oh, I don't at all think Dr. Blondie and Celebration Place would ever actively tell bloggers to diss a locale. What I do think is that they would encourage glowing coverage of some places over others. When is the last time the DPB has said anything good about House of Blues (a favorite of mine) or Portobello (another fave)? But they have made sure that certain places get shilled like they are the second coming. ... like Homecoming. I enjoyed it, but others I dined with did not and there are many shortcomings. I don't know one blogger who hasn't raved about the place. That is simply one example. I also wonder if this has something to do with some locales not wanting to their establishments through Dr. Blondie's all-important list. Again, have you looked at most of these people?

Disneyhead'71

News is often ugly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 has a lot of exclusive information to offer. So you have to take the good with the bad. Though I'm not a fan of his delivery at all, he knows exactly what he's doing and is calculated in pushing his agenda.

I think he'd be much more successful, and get even more folks on his side if he cut out the name calling, but I can't blame him for not lightening up. The shtick has been working pretty well for years.

Just like Popeye, I am what I yam and I ain't changing because snowflakes on the Internet can't handle bluntness and criticisms. I'm not looking to make friends, although I have made plenty over the years here, but I absolutely am interested in influencing people and I do that quite well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom