Malfunction Stories

What Disney Parks attraction breaks down the most frequently?

• Total voters

SplashThunder

Original Poster
This thread is for your side-splitting stories of ride breakdowns. Feel free to share as many as you want! I will be putting up a poll of which ride breaks down the most. Please include which version you went on.

Here's mine:
I was on Peter Pan at Disneyland a few months ago. We went in as normal, all the sudden, we hear crackling in the speakers.
The sound then goes out, and I hear a voice. "Please remain seated. The flight will continue momentarily." All the sudden, another compeletely different voice comes out of the speaker. "OFF TO NEVERLAND! OFF T-" This goes on, stopping and restarting. This kid behind me starts crying his eyes out. He must have been 2 or 3 years old. He looks up at his mother and says, "Peter's gonna leave without us!" I started laughing my head off! I wouldn't be laughing much longer, because we were stuck for 45 minutes. The kid continued to make remarks similar to the first, and it got old. His parents just ignored him, and that makes me angry. Why wouldn't they try to calm him down? They should know it's annoying to many guests. Whatever the answer is, it's still a hilarious story now

Goofyernmost

Probably a good topic if it weren't for the fact that this is a WDW Forum and you are talking about Disneyland. Perhaps the proper place for that would be the DLR Forum.

SplashThunder

Original Poster
A few years ago, I went on Splash Mountain in WDW, and after the final drop, the ride stopped working. We had not yet gotten to the finale scene. After several minutes, the audio stopped working, and the bright lights came on. The CM's then came in and took us all off the ride. We got to walk through the finale scene with all of the AA's turned off, and I was able to get every close to Br'er Rabbit. I took a video of the entire thing! They then took us backstage, and we were give free FastPass to use on another attraction. Not a crazy story, but fun nonetheless.

Another one, this past June. I was on Carousel of Progress, and at the end of Act 1, the theater did not move. After 30 seconds or so, we finally moved into Act 2. At the end of Act 2, the theater did not move at all. We were stuck in Act 2 for about 5 runs, and I was able to get some wonderful close up videos and photos of the AA's. We were finally taken out by the CM's, and given free FastPass. This one was especially fun for me because I am a die-hard Carousel of Progress fan!

I love getting evacuated, it really gives a special opportunity to notice things in attractions that you wouldn't get to on a normal ride/show. Not to mention, you get a free FP!
Cool stories! Thanks for sharing! :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Last time I road Splash the boat stopped right before the big drop in the dark. The announcement came on saying the ride would resume shortly, and then after a minute or two the lights came on. We sat for another 30 seconds or so and I was sure we were going to get evac'ed, but all of a sudden the boat started moving, the lights went out and we hit the drop. I have to say it actually added to the thrill a little bit.

mouse_luv

Last time I road Splash the boat stopped right before the big drop in the dark. The announcement came on saying the ride would resume shortly, and then after a minute or two the lights came on. We sat for another 30 seconds or so and I was sure we were going to get evac'ed, but all of a sudden the boat started moving, the lights went out and we hit the drop. I have to say it actually added to the thrill a little bit.
I would've had a heart attack. :eek:

JAG107

rode everest a year ago or so and it broke down as we where in the second switchgear (right before main drop) and we where evaced and given the traditional free pass. was neat.

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. First we got stuck at the top where you switch to reverse, then after 5 minutes, we were sent to the second switch, and from there we sat for a good 20 mins until we were evac'd and walked down all those stairs inside the mountain. That to me was worth the price of admission, that ride is an engineering marvel. I'll save my stories of working at Pirates at DL and the involved evac procedures there for another time...

Dan Gilchrist

This thread is for your side-splitting stories of ride breakdowns. Feel free to share as many as you want! I will be putting up a poll of which ride breaks down the most. Please include which version you went on.

Here's mine:
I was on Peter Pan at Disneyland a few months ago. We went in as normal, all the sudden, we hear crackling in the speakers.
The sound then goes out, and I hear a voice. "Please remain seated. The flight will continue momentarily." All the sudden, another compeletely different voice comes out of the speaker. "OFF TO NEVERLAND! OFF T-" This goes on, stopping and restarting. This kid behind me starts crying his eyes out. He must have been 2 or 3 years old. He looks up at his mother and says, "Peter's gonna leave without us!" I started laughing my head off! I wouldn't be laughing much longer, because we were stuck for 45 minutes. The kid continued to make remarks similar to the first, and it got old. His parents just ignored him, and that makes me angry. Why wouldn't they try to calm him down? They should know it's annoying to many guests. Whatever the answer is, it's still a hilarious story now

Comments like "The kid continued to make remarks similar to the first, and it got old. His parents just ignored him, and that makes me angry. Why wouldn't they try to calm him down? They should know it's annoying to many guests." That's what makes me angry! It's Disneyland.... a place not just for adults. 45mins in a cramped ride vehicle is boring & frustrating for anyone and sometimes it is best to ignore them otherwise it can make things worse. Adults behave in ways that annoy other guests far more than children so give the kid a break.

SplashThunder

Original Poster
Comments like "The kid continued to make remarks similar to the first, and it got old. His parents just ignored him, and that makes me angry. Why wouldn't they try to calm him down? They should know it's annoying to many guests." That's what makes me angry! It's Disneyland.... a place not just for adults. 45mins in a cramped ride vehicle is boring & frustrating for anyone and sometimes it is best to ignore them otherwise it can make things worse. Adults behave in ways that annoy other guests far more than children so give the kid a break.
Thanks for sharing! I was simply saying that the parents could try to explain that Peter wasn't leaving. God, people here hate when I make a statement.

Magenta Panther

rode everest a year ago or so and it broke down as we where in the second switchgear (right before main drop) and we where evaced and given the traditional free pass. was neat.

It'd be pretty cool if you were on the Everest ride and were evacuated and got to walk by the Yeti. He still wouldn't move, but at least you could see what he looks like!

JAG107

I've never been evacuated from a ride, but the last few times I've been to WDW, Haunted Mansion stopped at least once every time I rode it. The worst thing about it was that the audio in the Doom Buggy continued to play while the "playful spooks have interrupted our tour" spiel came on. Lame.

That's almost always dealing with loading/unloading a "slow moving guest". Not really a breakdown, just someone who moves slower than the belt.

MissMaryEli

Several year ago while riding the Kilaminjaro Safari at Animal Kingdom the driver saw an animal (a bird maybe) go under the truck at a stop but didn't see him come back out. He had to call for another CM in a smaller vehicle to come and look all around the truck. We were stopped for over a half an hour waiting for the person to come out and check. It was a scenario I had not considered before on the safari, but I can see how it could have been traumatizing to run over an animal, or worse, for the next truck to find it's carcass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom