New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

Seabasealpha1

At least it's just paint...shouldn't require a whole lot of crazy red tape if they don't like how it looks...

But...describe for me this purple...are we talking "Barney the Dinosaur" or "Willie Wonka's Suit" or "Purple Rain" ?

CastleBound

I was hoping this movie would be a success. That could have helped TL WDW transform to include style elements from this:
disney-s-tomorrowland-is-an-original-idea-and-you-should-be-excited-for-it-365716.jpg

But alas, I think I am the only one that loved this movie.
I really loved this film and wish it had succeeded too. I would bet Disney thought the same thing and expected to be transitioning towards this sometime, but probably not anymore. This film really is the movie we need right now as a society. I still think they should gravitate towards this look either way.

Kman101

It's pretty clear they view the Tomorrowland's as a catch-all sci-fi land (not justifying it or excusing it, just recognizing it for what it is now). At least Shanghai tried to be futuristic I suppose ... problem is the name just doesn't fit for what they want (shocker...) it to be.

montyz81

I really loved this film and wish it had succeeded too. I would bet Disney thought the same thing and expected to be transitioning towards this sometime, but probably not anymore. This film really is the movie we need right now as a society. I still think they should gravitate towards this look either way.
I agree with you 100%. I think our society didn't get the message. It is a bit ironic. The message was trying to tell everyone that our apathy is ruining our world, but because people were apathetic to the message, the movie performed poorly at the box office.

CaptainAmerica

I agree with you 100%. I think our society didn't get the message. It is a bit ironic. The message was trying to tell everyone that our apathy is ruining our world, but because people were apathetic to the message, the movie performed poorly at the box office.
Our society doesn't want that message because the message is crap. We're sick of being told how awful we are for eating trans fats and sitting comfortably in air conditioning. We don't want to hear hypocritical elites like George Clooney lecture us about our carbon footprint and the need for more government control over our lives. The last thing we want is a vision of the future wherein an enlightened oligarchy is our only key to survival as a species. This would could use a lot less Tomorrowland and a little more Frontierland.

Last edited:

NYBaloo

Our society doesn't want that message because the message is crap. We're sick of being told how awful we are for eating trans fats and sitting comfortably in air conditioning. We don't want to hear hypocritical elites like George Clooney lecture us about are carbon footprint and the need for more government control over our lives. The last thing we want is a vision of the future wherein an enlightened oligarchy is our only key to survival as a species. This would could use a lot less Tomorrowland and a little more Frontierland.

I humbly disagree, I believe the majority of our society does want this message, but they are manipulated by fear. Frontierland no longer works, we are well past that outdated thinking. It was useful once, but no more. Unity, love, positivism, science, critical thinking, hope, peace, non-violence. These are the things that will lead us to a better world and the Vision of Tomorrowland. Peace through Understanding.

CaptainAmerica

I humbly disagree, I believe the majority of our society does want this message, but they are manipulated by fear. Frontierland no longer works, we are well past that outdated thinking. It was useful once, but no more. Unity, love, positivism, science, critical thinking, hope, peace, non-violence. These are the things that will lead us to a better world and the Vision of Tomorrowland. Peace through Understanding.
Kumbaya. That would be wonderful but it's also contrary to human nature. Utopia is not possible. The promise of a perfect "Tomorrow" is what keeps people subservient to the State. Only when people accept that Tomorrow will not be perfect are they liberated to pursue the best interest of themselves, their families, and their communities within the context of the real world.

FigmentForver96

Frontierland is not outdated. The land, while set to a specific time peroid, is timeless by demonstrating the start of American expansion in the west. Tomorrowland is what has become outdated, although even outdated is the word as the land reflects more of a alien planet then human planet. The need to be updated on tech is far less critical then say Epcot where it is the core of the park.

NYBaloo

Frontierland is not outdated. The land, while set to a specific time peroid, is timeless by demonstrating the start of American expansion in the west. Tomorrowland is what has become outdated, although even outdated is the word as the land reflects more of a alien planet then human planet. The need to be updated on tech is far less critical then say Epcot where it is the core of the park.

We're not really talking about the lands here.

NYBaloo

Kumbaya. That would be wonderful but it's also contrary to human nature. Utopia is not possible. The promise of a perfect "Tomorrow" is what keeps people subservient to the State. Only when people accept that Tomorrow will not be perfect are they liberated to pursue the best interest of themselves, their families, and their communities within the context of the real world.

I'm certainly not going to argue. There are folks with your views and folks with mine. I know for myself, it makes life wonderful, I respect everyone and have faith in the goodness of all humans and seeing a bright tomorrow leads me forward. Utopia may not be possible, but trying to create it along the way, sure makes the world a better. place.

Now back to the topic, purple rocks does seem a bit odd, but I'll decide when I get back there in 2 months. I do love the colors of COP! Though looking at the whole land, I do wish the architecture was more like the movie Tomorrowland. Or maybe some retro vision of the future.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is the exact same problem with Future World. I guess TWDC doesn't care about the future anymore.

I am not sure if it is a problem necessarily. It is just very hard to keep a land to be a true tomorrowland. What is the future today is obsolete tomorrow. So to keep up, you would essentially have to refurb the entire land every few years. I think they decided to go with the retro future theme because the look of the land can essentially last "forever" or at least longer.

I would say the real issue is if they intend on updating and/or adding in attractions that fit into this retro tomorrowland. good attractions that is...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom