From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

They wouldn't care. They are running with a specific theory in their minds and won't listen to anything else.
I've posted photos of my son in that water, other people have posted similar photos. We KNEW that gators could be in water, yet we let our children walk on the edge.
Again, just because someone is from Nebraska doesn't mean they are ignorant. Maybe they knew, maybe they didn't.
A little paranoia is good. Calling for beaches to be closed, marshmallow roasting and movies to be cancelled- this is a response of hysteria.
One death does not mean that now everything near the water is a "death trap" as some have quoted.

I would prefer that they not be closed, but knowing Disney they will keep them down. I read a news site yesterday (Not a tabloid site) that quoted a Disney rep as saying that they are "installing a temporary fence for now until something more permanent can be added later." Whether that is a complete removal of the beaches at all resorts and installation of boardwalk style walkways near the water or just a more permanent fencing/barrier we will just have to wait and see. I think Disney just has to be seen publicly to be doing something otherwise they look as if they do not care.

EngineJoe

Sorry if someone said it already(I haven't read anything), but my best friend brought up 2 good points over the weekend.

1) Were the parents on their cell phones at the time of the attacks?
2) Had they been drinking?
I think we'll never know if they were looking at their cell phones but that is a big problem in this day and age in general.

According to an insider on here. A first responder working for Disney said they were wasted. But that scoop is just from the insider here.

steviej

I think we'll never know if they were looking at their cell phones but that is a big problem in this day and age in general.

According to an insider on here. A first responder working for Disney said they were wasted. But that scoop is just from the insider here.

I find it hard to believe Disney doesn't have any kind of camera set up on the beaches. When I started my CP, we were told there's a camera about every 3 feet, but I wonder if that only applies to the parks?

I'd think they'd want cameras on the lakes/beach. Not for the 1 in 1 billion chance an alligator might attack, but dozens of things, dumb kids with fireworks, young couple engaging in not very magical things on the beach in the middle of the night, bunch of people who decided to invite Mary Jane along on their trip. Anything really!

21stamps

I would prefer that they not be closed, but knowing Disney they will keep them down. I read a news site yesterday (Not a tabloid site) that quoted a Disney rep as saying that they are "installing a temporary fence for now until something more permanent can be added later." Whether that is a complete removal of the beaches at all resorts and installation of boardwalk style walkways near the water or just a more permanent fencing/barrier we will just have to wait and see. I think Disney just has to be seen publicly to be doing something otherwise they look as if they do not care.
Oh I completely agree with you here.
That's why I was upset about the fences. They won't eliminate the already unlikely chance of an alligator attack. They are only for show, to show that they are responding. Because that's what people want them to do. Signs aren't good enough.. They feel they need to make it clear that a huge response is in effect. Because again, that's what society wants- to be made to "feel safe".

thomas998

I'm going to stay out of most of this debate because to be honest it seems to have gone so far off the rails, it's just a shouting match now.

One question I do have. Why is everyone so obsessed with making sure they call it a 'man-made' lake? Do you think that somehow changes somebody's responsibility/liability or how that body of water should be managed? While the statement is 'technically accurate', when a body of water has been there for nearly 50 years is the fact that it was man made in the 1960's even relevant any more? It long ago became part of the natural ecosystem of that part of central Florida and functions no differently than Bay Lake or any other body of that was there when Disney originally purchased the land 50 years ago.

It might have had some bearing on the case if the boy had been attacked by something that could only exist in a lake but not in a swamp... But honestly whether it was a swamp or a lake the gator was a possible inhabitant of the place... I would expect more will be made of Disney making the inviting beach to be more of an issue than the fact that it was a man made lake. Shoot in some states the only lakes that exist are man made lakes so that fact probably doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

thomas998

Does everyone realize that most of these posts consist of arguing with the same two to three forum members?
Probably... but hey don't you remember in high school when two kids would fight and half the school would show up to watch? It is kind of like that I think.

EngineJoe

I find it hard to believe Disney doesn't have any kind of camera set up on the beaches. When I started my CP, we were told there's a camera about every 3 feet, but I wonder if that only applies to the parks?

I'd think they'd want cameras on the lakes/beach. Not for the 1 in 1 billion chance an alligator might attack, but dozens of things, dumb kids with fireworks, young couple engaging in not very magical things on the beach in the middle of the night, bunch of people who decided to invite Mary Jane along on their trip. Anything really!

I think there are a lot less cameras outside the parks. Just the sheer size of the areas belonging to Disney outside the parks would make it difficult.

There's probably one or two cameras that capture the beach from the hotel but if you think about it the hotel would be the only area to hook up a camera on the beach and the images on the beach would be really small from the hotel.

21stamps

How far north have the crocodiles migrated in Florida?
They would die in Orlando winter. Don't worry about crocs there.

Florida has 3 climate zones-

Within those zones brings different wildlife, plants, trees, flowers, fruits, etc etc etc. even different ocean creatures.

ParentsOf4

Sorry if someone said it already(I haven't read anything), but my best friend brought up 2 good points over the weekend.

1) Were the parents on their cell phones at the time of the attacks?
2) Had they been drinking?
Neither matters if Disney did not warn about the hazard.

Disney must warn about the specific hazard.

If Disney provided a specific warning, then Disney is in a much stronger position.

21stamps

If Disney provided a specific warning, then Disney is in a much stronger position.
But you're wrong.
You guys can keep saying the same thing one thousand times. It doesn't make the information correct. There is NO Florida law that says you must have warnings.

There is no lawsuit right now. There probably won't be. And if there is it will get settled in a (figurative) matter of minutes. Not because Disney was wrong, but no way would they let that family go through a trial and risk public outrage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm going to stay out of most of this debate because to be honest it seems to have gone so far off the rails, it's just a shouting match now.

One question I do have. Why is everyone so obsessed with making sure they call it a 'man-made' lake? Do you think that somehow changes somebody's responsibility/liability or how that body of water should be managed?

It does in the strict sense that it's something introduced by Disney vs the pre-existing natural element, so its an addition they are responsible to maintain and have the duty of care around (no different than if they created a Dock.. and they are responsible for it's construction and operation). So it does matter in that Disney therefore takes responsibility for it in many aspects. But the issue is not simply B&W because the topic is convoluted in that it's an element that is not isolated, but in fact integrated with the natural environment and we are talking about issues that do not respect invisible boundaries or separations. The animals are mobile and not necessarily anchored to the element created by Disney. Having dangerous gators nesting and propogating in the lake would be very different than a gator wandering into the lake for instance.

So yes, the topic matters, but the distinction does not live in total isolation. Nor does the issue of liability about wild animals. Both represent a STARTING POINT, but both sides can argue specifics that would either introduce new reasons for liability (duty of care regarding warnings, lack of response to prior issues) or reasons of exclusion (wild animal expected to be present), etc.

This is why lawyers argue in court and a judge and/or jury decides which argument is superior within the existing law and judgements of relevance.

PhotoDave219

What if the hazard is worse than we're thinking?

Life is going to change at the resorts and change soon I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom