From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

I have my stance because I know where I am going, without anyone warning me. I don't know about every harmful thing at every place, I'm not saying that I extensively research all wildlife of where I am travelling, but I just do not think about the probability of an attack.
If I did then I would never do another dive or take my kid snorkeling...I just don't want to think about those things. Yes, I'm aware of my surroundings, I do night dives but I won't take my son in the ocean at night. I stay away from grassy areas in bodies of water etc. But I don't walk around thinking an attack will happen.

I have no knowledge of the ground at Shades of Green, but from what you described there is a very good reason for the signs. Water and grass off of a sidewalk are awesome areas for alligators. A beach full of people during a movie is not. An attack at either place would have been shocking, the GF beach, more shocking, because no one expects for an alligator to come around with that many people there.
EXACTLY MY POINT. I've seen alligators sunbathing at the shades, people have seen alligators swimming at the Grand Floridian. The fact that IT WAS AN INVITING BEACH at Grand Floridian where most people would never even consider gators being there. Disney has known about gators being in there for decades. They should of had signs up, because like in you words said: Water and grass off of a sidewalk are awesome areas for alligators. A beach full of people during a movie is not. You're wrong though about a beach full of people is not. It is not a good place for them to go on the beach yes, but it is a fine and dandy place for them to hang out along the water, especially at night looking for their prey.

BlueSkyDriveBy

This was just a disaster waiting to happen.
Disney knew about the gator problem.
Cast members complained about the gator problem.
Guests feeding the gators worsened the gator problem.
And Disney did nothing about it. Not until somebody died. :(

TWDC is a reactive corporation. Not a proactive corporation.
That is the Dirty Rotten Disney Core™ at the center of these tragic events.
:mad:

Daveeeeed

We don't know that this family did not know that alligators live in fresh water in Florida. So everything we are saying is speculation.

Knowing the alligators exist in water and expecting one to attack you are VERY different.
Still though no matter how much knowledge they knew it was an inviting beach with no warnings, and Disney knew there were gators. That should be enough of a lawsuit on top of other things Disney failed to do.

Daveeeeed

Disney knew about the gator problem.
Cast members complained about the gator problem.
Guests feeding the gators worsened the gator problem.
And Disney did nothing about it. Not until somebody died. :(

TWDC is a reactive corporation. Not a proactive corporation.
That is the Dirty Rotten Disney Core™ at the center of these tragic events.
:mad:
I 100% agree with you. Disney is mostly to blame and rightfully should be sued. I love Disney, but how they handled this was absurd, someone had already been attacked by an alligator. I just don't understand how some people think that it was okay for Disney not to have any form of warning.

21stamps

EXACTLY MY POINT. I've seen alligators sunbathing at the shades, people have seen alligators swimming at the Grand Floridian. The fact that IT WAS AN INVITING BEACH at Grand Floridian where most people would never even consider gators being there. Disney has known about gators being in there for decades. They should of had signs up, because like in you words said: Water and grass off of a sidewalk are awesome areas for alligators. A beach full of people during a movie is not. You're wrong though about a beach full of people is not. It is not a good place for them to go on the beach yes, but it is a fine and dandy place for them to hang out along the water, especially at night looking for their prey.
It is an inviting beach, and I've made it clear that I wish it would remain an inviting beach. Because for the most part, alligators stay away from humans. They do! This is fact, not fiction. From everything I have read about the "nuisance removal" they were doing as much as they could, as much as would bee considered "responsible". There was no reasonable assumption that one would come to any of those beaches.

I'll leave you guys to debate this though. I'll just agree to disagree.

Daveeeeed

It is an inviting beach, and I've made it clear that I wish it would remain an inviting beach. Because for the most part, alligators stay away from humans. They do! This is fact, not fiction. From everything I have read about the "nuisance removal" they were doing as much as they could, as much as would bee considered "responsible". There was no reasonable assumption that one would come to any of those beaches.

I didn't want to say this, but honestly this just shows how stupid you are being right now. Please just stop. An inviting beach should remain, but an inviting beach should have warnings up of freakin' alligators when they knew they were there. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

raven

Sharks are in oceans, bears and bobcats are in the wilderness, killer bees can fly anywhere, gators are naturally in bodies of water in Florida.

Are signs posted on every beach in the world warning of sharks? Are signs posted in forests warning of bears?

Common sense, and less sense of "escaping reality because we are at Disney" seems to come into play here.

betty rose

Well to be honest about it, this was a shocking event for most but really only impacted directly the boy's family. If people lived in constant grieve of everyone that has died in some tragic way no one would be able to ever smile again because people die a tragic death everyday, not at Disney but you would still find a tragic death in Florida on any given day... Do people need to change how they act because someone that they don't know has died tragically?
Sorry, I'm having trouble moving on. I can't get that sweet little boy's face out of my head. Maybe it's because I had two small grandson's. Will I get over it, we all do with grief, time "heals" all wounds.

Daveeeeed

Alligators tend to stay away from humans, but when you feed them they start coming back. Disney had no signs warning not to feed the alligators. That is a fact. And clearly you're wrong when you say that there was no reasonable assumption that one would come to any of those beaches as there has already been an attack.

betty rose

That's my point. I know alligators are there. I don't anticipate that one will attack my child.

I'll agree to disagree on that point. I would think more than 50% know. But again, I could be totally wrong. This thread shocked the heck out of me, I didn't realize how many people didn't know.

I visit (used to pre kid anyway) Costa Rica a few times per year, I've never lived there. I've always known there were crocodiles there, in pretty much every body of water.
Glad to know that, I won't be going there anytime soon. Of course I never wanted to go there.;)

21stamps

Sharks are in oceans, bears and bobcats are in the wilderness, killer bees can fly anywhere, gators are naturally in bodies of water in Florida.

Are signs posted on every beach in the world warning of sharks? Are signs posted in forests warning of bears?

Common sense, and less sense of "escaping reality because we are at Disney" seems to come into play here.
Right. This is not saying that this family didn't have common sense. Common sense doesn't mean that you expect an alligator to attack just because you know they exist.

Like I said, sometimes horrible things happen. They aren't anyone's fault. I don't know why that is such a hard fact to grasp for so many.

Daveeeeed

:banghead: This is a place where Disney knew that there were gators, yet they do nothing. It is not common sense to someone not living in the south that there will be gators in freakin' seven seas lagoon. Sharks like you said are in every beach in the world, so they don't need to have warnings, but they do put up purple flags at public beaches if sightings of marine life. Clearly you have knowledge of the gators and if you've read my posts I think you'll understand why Disney is mostly to blame.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
I have my stance because I know where I am going, without anyone warning me.

And this is exactly why your logic is flawed. "You" know. "You" don't need to be warned. "You" in this case are Disney. Aware of a potential threat. If you invite someone to your home as you referenced in a prior post, and "you know" of a potential threat. Don't you think it may be a good idea to let your house guests know of that threat as well?

Daveeeeed

And this is exactly why your logic is flawed. "You" know. "You" don't need to be warned. "You" in this case are Disney. Aware of a potential threat. If you invite someone to your home as you referenced in a prior post, and "you know" of a potential threat. Don't you think it may be a good idea to let your house guests know of that threat as well?
Couldn't of said it better.

21stamps

Glad to know that, I won't be going there anytime soon. Of course I never wanted to go there.;)
Lol somewhere on my million posts on this thread I posted a photo of crocs that we passed while walking down the street. We were on a low bridge they were below. I think we counted 22. It was crazy. Especially since we had been riding ATVs through mud and streams the day before.lol.

s8film40

Like I said, sometimes horrible things happen. They aren't anyone's fault. I don't know why that is such a hard fact to grasp for so many.
Personally I don't think it's an either/or type of thing. It was a tragic freak accident that Disney may have contributed to. So is Disney at fault, yeah maybe a little bit. Is it their fault entirely, no.

betty rose

New statement from the family:

“Melissa and I continue to deal with the loss of our beloved boy, Lane, and are overwhelmed with the support and love we have received from family and friends in our community as well as from around the country. We understand the public’s interest, but as we move forward this weekend, we ask for and appreciate the privacy we need to lay our son to rest. Neither Melissa, myself or anyone from our family will be speaking publicly; we simply cannot at this time.”

— Matt and Melissa Graves
No kind and caring family deserved for this to happen. I hope they find peace in the future. I won't be able to enjoy any beaches at Disney, I won't be able to erase that we are all threatened by alligators, and poison snakes. We just saw a 6 foot snake thrashing around at Saratoga Springs, next to the adult pool, during mid day. When it turned and came toward us, we started running back really fast, and I yelled snake to alert others.

Daveeeeed

No kind and caring family deserved for this to happen. I hope they find peace in the future. I won't be able to enjoy any beaches at Disney, I won't be able to erase that we are all threatened by alligators, and poison snakes. We just saw a 6 foot snake thrashing around at Saratoga Springs, next to the adult pool, during mid day. When it turned and came toward us, we started running back really fast, and I yelled snake to alert others.
Exactly the reason why there should be warnings. This was no doubt a terrible tragedy that this baby lost its life, but it could have been prevented, so I definitely think Disney is the only party that truly has any blame even if it is just a small amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom