From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

No. Unequivocally NO. If God forbid an alligator killed my child I would not capitalize on his death because it happened on location of a multi billion dollar company.

But that's the mindset difference. I don't view an attack from a wild creature as the fault of the land owner.
Wrap your mind around their position. There were zero warnings when Disney knew there were gators. They invited people to watch a movie on a beach where gators were known to be in the water. They had no signs warning of gators. It is like essentially if you could just walk into an alligator exhibit at a zoo, and not know they were there. I have no idea about your knowledge of Disney, but for me personally I know there are gators at the shades of green across the street, I know the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon is connected to Bay Lake which is connected to canals etc. which of course have gators. The fact of the matter is if you didn't know there were gators in the water on an inviting beach that is said on the monorail line among other places that it is manmade, it is touristy people's guards are down especially that it is family-friendly Disney, and it was a company's fault that you didn't know please tell me again if you would not sue.

drew81

@PhotoDave219, speaking of tabloids
13428378_10206382277144497_8396436743085039884_n.jpg

Daveeeeed

No. Unequivocally NO. If God forbid an alligator killed my child I would not capitalize on his death because it happened on location of a multi billion dollar company.

But that's the mindset difference. I don't view an attack from a wild creature as the fault of the land owner.
It is not about the location seriously how do you not get this, it is about the fact how Disney KNEW there were gators, HAD A MOVIE on the stupid beach where gators were present & didn't have a sign warning of gators. If you come from China would you call a person stupid for not knowing about gators in a man made lagoon on an inviting family-friendly beach?

21stamps

Wrap your mind around their position. There were zero warnings when Disney knew there were gators. They invited people to watch a movie on a beach where gators were known to be in the water. They had no signs warning of gators. It is like essentially if you could just walk into an alligator exhibit at a zoo, and not know they were there. I have no idea about your knowledge of Disney, but for me personally I know there are gators at the shades of green across the street, I know the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon is connected to Bay Lake which is connected to canals etc. which of course have gators. The fact of the matter is if you didn't know there were gators in the water on an inviting beach that is said on the monorail line among other places that it is manmade, it is touristy people's guards are down especially that it is family-friendly Disney, and it was a company's fault that you didn't know please tell me again if you would not sue.
I'm not arguing with you. We just have differing opinions.
Let's say I invited your family to come stay at my house in Boca Raton, close to the water, and I don't tell you about alligators or crocodiles. You're laying at my pool and one bites off your leg, or worse- kills you. No, I don't deserve to be sued.

s8film40

My odds would probably be less given the shocking reactions after situations the past few months.

I didn't come to that conclusion because of this thread, or any news outlet. I came to that conclusion because I love Florida, lived there for most of my life, and this isn't the first attack of nature that I've heard of. I also understand that life has risks, very small ones, but risks nonetheless. There are gators and crocs and sharks and snakes and tons of other things that can kill us, regardless of where we are.

Like I said, you're probably right on odds are higher that a lot of people would sue. I just don't think this family will. And I could be completely wrong.
Yeah, I definitely see where your coming from. However if I were them and wasn't aware of the possibilities of gators I would be wondering why there wasn't a sign letting me know this when other properties have them. I would want to know if people had been allowed to feed the gators. Like I said I know I would be thinking about this incident every day for the rest of my life. I would want to make sure I've had those questions answered as best as possible. Even in the 200 pages of this thread no one has been able to adequetly answer the simple question, why didn't Disney have signs about the gators. I wouldn't fault them if they decided to file a lawsuit and I don't think it is necessarily a petty money grab.

21stamps

Yeah, I definitely see where your coming from. However if I were them and wasn't aware of the possibilities of gators I would be wondering why there wasn't a sign letting me know this when other properties have them. I would want to know if people had been allowed to feed the gators. Like I said I know I would be thinking about this incident every day for the rest of my life. I would want to make sure I've had those questions answered as best as possible. Even in the 200 pages of this thread no one has been able toadequetly answer the simple question, why didn't Disney have signs about the gators. I wouldn't fault them if they decided to file a lawsuit and I don't think it is necessarily a petty money grab.
Ok so, I posted photos of my son in that lake. I still don't like that people assume because this family was from Nebraska they don't know about alligators, but anyway... I do know. I still let my child walk in that water. If it was me, do I then have the right to sue?

Daveeeeed

Let's say I invited your family to come stay at my house in Boca Raton, close to the water, and I don't tell you about alligators or crocodiles. You're laying at my pool and one bites off your leg, or worse- kills you. No, I don't deserve to be sued.
I agree on that point, but if you were feeding them or doing something else you absolutely deserve to be sued, but the difference is this is a public family-friendly place with alligators. There are sharks in every ocean on the planet, so that is a universal thing, in Australia they have signs warning of blue ringed octopuses, Saltwater Crocodiles etc. that are found nowhere else but Australia. Disney cannot expect that even half of the people expect gators to be in there.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Ok so, I posted photos of my son in that lake. I still don't like that people assume because this family was from Nebraska they don't know about alligators, but anyway... I do know. I still let my child walk in that water. If it was me, do I then have the right to sue?
That'll be up to an attorney to be honest. Big difference in dying than just not being warned. I've gone in the SSL too before my parents knew that there were gators in there, they just never put much thought into it. When you are on vacation you are especially not going to anticipate that.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

But if there had been past instances where previous visitors were threatened to the point of reporting the issue to you and you chose to ignore those warnings. If your neighbors took you aside and told you there was an issue with alligators because they have viewed other guests at your home sporadically feeding alligators and they felt the issue was getting worse.....now let's say you invite a family with children to your Boca home and as the kids start dipping their feet in the water......Then yes, you absolutely deserved to be sued. That's not negligence. That's gross negligence.

Daveeeeed

You do realize that someone has been attacked before on Disney property, but fortunately did not die in 1986. Also Cast Members kept telling Disney that they saw alligators. Part of the problem also were the new Bungalows as some bad people would throw food to the gators.

21stamps

That'll be up to an attorney to be honest. Big difference in dying than just not being warned. I've gone in the SSL too before my parents knew that there were gators in there, they just never put much thought into it. When you are on vacation you are especially not going to anticipate that.
That's my point. I know alligators are there. I don't anticipate that one will attack my child.
I agree on that point, but the difference is this is a public family-friendly place with alligators. There are sharks in every ocean on the planet, so that is a universal thing, in Australia they have signs warning of blue ringed octopuses, Saltwater Crocodiles etc. that are found nowhere else but Australia. Disney cannot expect that even half of the people expect gators to be in there.
I'll agree to disagree on that point. I would think more than 50% know. But again, I could be totally wrong. This thread shocked the heck out of me, I didn't realize how many people didn't know.

I visit (used to pre kid anyway) Costa Rica a few times per year, I've never lived there. I've always known there were crocodiles there, in pretty much every body of water.

drew81

New statement from the family:

“Melissa and I continue to deal with the loss of our beloved boy, Lane, and are overwhelmed with the support and love we have received from family and friends in our community as well as from around the country. We understand the public’s interest, but as we move forward this weekend, we ask for and appreciate the privacy we need to lay our son to rest. Neither Melissa, myself or anyone from our family will be speaking publicly; we simply cannot at this time.”

— Matt and Melissa Graves

Daveeeeed

That's my point. I know alligators are there. I don't anticipate that one will attack my child.

I'll agree to disagree on that point. I would think more than 50% know. But again, I could be totally wrong. This thread shocked the heck out of me, I didn't realize how many people didn't know.

I visit (used to pre kid anyway) Costa Rica a few times per year, I've never lived there. I've always known there were crocodiles there, in pretty much every body of water.
But that is why you currently have your stance. Because you are familiar with alligators and crocodiles. Seriously most people do not even cross their minds that there are gators in SSL, but I am sure almost sure universally unless from another country or something that people know that Florida has gators. I have known there were gators there for years. I stay usually at the shades of green which is across the street and has Alligator & snake warning signs not to feed or get near etc. Plus the water there is not at a beach, there is a sidewalk and then grass, and then filthy water.

Daveeeeed

Exactly. Without the ability to do that, true discussion of this issue is impossible.
True, and I agree, but you personally knowing that your son died, and they more than likely they did not even consider alligators being in there would you not sue? They had no way of informing anyone about gators when they knew they were in there, this was just a disaster waiting to happen.

s8film40

With your knowledge of alligators being in the lake would you have let your son wade in the water late in the evening? Were you aware of the possibility of guests feeding the alligators?

21stamps

But that is why you currently have your stance. Because you are familiar with alligators and crocodiles. Seriously most people do not even cross their minds that there are gators in SSL, but I am sure almost sure universally unless from another country or something that people know that Florida has gators. I have known there were gators there for years. I stay usually at the shades of green which is across the street and has Alligator & snake warning signs not to feed or get near etc. Plus the water there is not at a beach, there is a sidewalk and then grass, and then filthy water.
I have my stance because I know where I am going, without anyone warning me. I don't know about every harmful thing at every place, I'm not saying that I extensively research all wildlife of where I am travelling, but I just do not think about the probability of an attack.
If I did then I would never do another dive or take my kid snorkeling...I just don't want to think about those things. Yes, I'm aware of my surroundings, I do night dives but I won't take my son in the ocean at night. I stay away from grassy areas in bodies of water etc. But I don't walk around thinking an attack will happen.

I have no knowledge of the ground at Shades of Green, but from what you described there is a very good reason for the signs. Water and grass off of a sidewalk are awesome areas for alligators. A beach full of people during a movie is not. An attack at either place would have been shocking, the GF beach, more shocking, because no one expects for an alligator to come around with that many people there.

Disneyfanman

I'm a life long Disney fan. It it were me, and through negligence they caused me to lose a child, I would sue. I would be extremely angry and want to create change. Companies only change their ways due to pain. A long public lawsuit would be part of how I would deal. I'm not saying it's healthy to want to strike back. Only that it's human. I'm not a fan of lawsuits. But here it's appropriate IMHO.

21stamps

With your knowledge of alligators being in the lake would you have let your son wade in the water late in the evening? Were you aware of the possibility of guests feeding the alligators?
No, I didn't know that guests were feeding alligators. But it does happen everywhere with tourists, so I'm not shocked. It makes me so angry though. If it was dark out no, I wouldn't have let him.

21stamps

Exactly. Without the ability to do that, true discussion of this issue is impossible.
We don't know that this family did not know that alligators live in fresh water in Florida. So everything we are saying is speculation.

Knowing the alligators exist in water and expecting one to attack you are VERY different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom