Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

montyz81

Fixed that for you :D

If only the accident during refurb hadn't cost them the time and money they had for set decor on the descent.

Anyway, Siemens sponsorship ends next year. Let's see if they renew or not and what happens.
What accident. I don't remember that.

Goofyernmost

That blasted interweb removing intended emotion again... :)
To be fair, I think or at least hope, that if the statement was far enough off the wall, they would have the ability to understand what those words were being used for. If one reads a novel are emocons required to have people understand what is being said?
Fixed that for you :D

If only the accident during refurb hadn't cost them the time and money they had for set decor on the descent.

Anyway, Siemens sponsorship ends next year. Let's see if they renew or not and what happens.
They never had that before... why start now? They might have been space filling, but, jaw dropping? I must have been out sick that day.:confused:o_O:hungover:

montyz81

Also, I have one other question. There looks like there as a great deal of space at the bottom of the geosphere. If you look from the outtside at the structure, you can see that the ramps going up and coming down enter into the geosphere almost 1/4 of the way up. What is in that space/void at the bottom? Anyone know?

ABQ

Also, I have one other question. There looks like there as a great deal of space at the bottom of the geosphere. If you look from the outtside at the structure, you can see that the ramps going up and coming down enter into the geosphere almost 1/4 of the way up. What is in that space/void at the bottom? Anyone know?
Using vintage pics because I love that old sculpture, it appears the bottom may be nothing but steel trusses to help distribute the load to the legs.

spaceship-earth-01.jpg
Bruce-Heidel-4.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Mechanical, ride system and engineering areas.

Siren

I, surprisingly, agree, but, we are looking at it as a quantity visitor. We do have to take into consideration that we are the minority in the world of theme park participants. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, in WDW that will not get stale if we see it enough. Sure we enjoy it, but, it isn't like the early experience of discovery. It is just memorabilia at the point, until we get tired of it, then it becomes just awful and a big mistake. For us, it is, for the rest, it is not.

It may well be a let down for people like us that experienced something different, but, the majority not only do not see it as a failure, but, instead it is entertainment in a place that otherwise would just be dark.
Wow! Great post and I totally agree. If you look at the reviews online -- the majority of people *love* the descent.

2h6av6v.jpg

It's so sad that people cannot enjoy this, like I don't *ever* want to be that way.

HMF

Wow! Great post and I totally agree. If you look at the reviews online -- the majority of people *love* the descent.

2h6av6v.jpg

It's so sad that people cannot enjoy this, like I don't *ever* want to be that way.
If you cared to read most descent reviews that section is the one actual good part.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Using vintage pics because I love that old sculpture, it appears the bottom may be nothing but steel trusses to help distribute the load to the legs.

spaceship-earth-01.jpg
Bruce-Heidel-4.jpg
What you are not seeing in the huge concrete piles those trusses are connecting to. I think they went to a depth of 180 feet give or take. (@marni1971 )

RobotWolf

the AmAd war wagon

The true star of the original EPCOT Center and the only remaining one today. If it ever "goes to Nova Cite," so shall I.

Translation: The American Adventure "War Wagon" is one of the most incredible (IMO) engineering achievements Disney has ever accomplished. If it ever get's "a sinkhole" like the ill-fated Horizons, I will not return to "EPCOT."

Last edited:

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
The true star of the original EPCOT Center and the only remaining one today. If it ever "goes to Nova Cite," so shall I.

Translation: The American Adventure "War Wagon" is one of the most incredible (IMO) engineering achievements Disney has ever accomplished. If it ever get's "a sinkhole" like the ill-fated Horizons, I will not return to "EPCOT."

Absolutely amazing piece of engineering & creative thinking. Especially when taking into consideration it was ground breaking at THAT time and not many venues today even come close to that type of technology still.

Siren

If you cared to read most descent reviews that section is the one actual good part.
Anyone as blind as a bat can see that I was confronted with negative comments for liking the descent and my post was in response to that.
2h6av6v.jpg

If *you* actually cared to read you would like, already know that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom