Disney employee stole $112K from restaurant register, deputies say

asianway

Loss Prevention is going to throw a fit, and appropriately so. As far back as the early 90s at Disneyland, we'd catch people doing this sort of thing after a pattern of $50 refunds in a day, let alone hundreds. It would only take a couple days for the pattern to become obvious. The Point of Sale machines in those days gave a report on refunds, so there's no way today's machines can't do the same. For that much money to be stolen, lots of people weren't watching the sorts of reports they should have been, and for far too long.
There were weak to no internal controls to allow this to happen. How much more is walking out the door resort wide? Heads should roll in Finance

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is crazy. Usually something like this would become obvious almost instantly. Doesn't say much for Disney's vaunted analytics we hear so much about around here.

Once again depends on what the analytics are looking for. It appears that Disney is tracking spend on both the guest and corporate side but they have forgotten that there are other variables at play.

But heads need to roll at loss prevention because this should have been caught long ago. And many places have a two person rule on refunds which require multiple logins on the POS terminal i.e. Both cashier and supervisor need to log in AGAIN to prevent this sort of thing. For crying out loud my local ACE Hardware does this. Disney the retail wizards cant figure this one out. Management can't figure this one out and if it's a staffing issue they could issue a refund chit which is redeemable for cash at GR/Resorts a lot harder to do fraudulent cash refunds that way

asianway

Once again depends on what the analytics are looking for. It appears that Disney is tracking spend on both the guest and corporate side but they have forgotten that there are other variables at play.

But heads need to roll at loss prevention because this should have been caught long ago. And many places have a two person rule on refunds which require multiple logins on the POS terminal i.e. Both cashier and supervisor need to log in AGAIN to prevent this sort of thing. For crying out loud my local ACE Hardware does this. Disney the retail wizards cant figure this one out. Management can't figure this one out and if it's a staffing issue they could issue a refund chit which is redeemable for cash at GR/Resorts a lot harder to do fraudulent cash refunds that way
This is bordering on negligence on the part of management.

CAPTAIN HOOK

And either way, SOMEBODY is handling the refunds. So simply moving it from the registers would make no difference in stopping potential theft.
If cash refunds can only be done from ONE till point then it is easier to monitor. In this case she was stuffing cash about her person in a back office - this should have been picked up months before it was

gobstoper27

I feel like this could have easily been prevented. When I worked in retail, our drawers were counted down while we witnessed it, after our shift was over. Nobody was allowed to ring on anyone else drawer either. At times it was inconvenient but, it maintained accountability when there were register shortages. Granted there could be the excuse, oh Disneyworld is so busy, there isn't time. When it comes to your companies money, you find the time to make sure this doesn't ever happen. For this to happen consistently over two years, someones head should roll. An hourly employee walked away with an mid-level employee's salary. :greedy:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A very good friend on FB pondered aloud if a manager showed them how to do it and then looked the other way....

Treat your line workforce like crap and scenarios like the one above tend to proliferate as it becomes an US (Line CM's) vs THEM (Burbank & Celebration) I've always been amazed why US management has the 'Nobles and Serfs' mentality It's never led to long term profitability rather the opposite a few quarters of GREAT numbers and then Liquidation....

Lirael

Treat your line workforce like crap and scenarios like the one above tend to proliferate as it becomes an US (Line CM's) vs THEM (Burbank & Celebration)

That may be it. Even if noone actually knew about the threft and kept quiet, it could be that between hours and staff being slashed and the not so good pay, CMs began skimping on doing check up on things like this out of time constraint + bitterness towards the top, leading to these 2 years of unnoticed theft

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom