The Town Center construction

G00fyDad

13015360_1221172794582288_6576935058864509881_n.jpg

DaBears81

Let me explain a bit further: this sign is something that any mall or subdivision architect could have drawn up in their sleep. They went with a water feature because it has Springs in the name, which is fine. But it doesn't add to the placemaking of the story, which is what Disney prides themselves on.

The sign is an entry gateway. It's the first thing that you see that guides you visibly and emotionally into where we want to take you. It's the book jacket description designed to start to reel you in. This fountain is just a brick structure sign, and it's something you see a variation of every day in your normal life. It has no connection to the fictional history of Disney Springs. It has no connection to the story or the emotions. That's what I expect from WDI. And this isn't complicated to do. A water feature that looks like a natural spring with the signage mounted, or something that has the landscape of the springs in miniature to set the stage of what you're about to see inside. Or something that includes a historical aspect to DS: the tools of the early settlers or the rudimentary waterworks of the early village that settled around the spring. All of these could be incorporated into a much more architecturally striking opening statement that would have cost not much more than what the brick structure cost, but says a lot more.

It's a sign on a very busy road, fountain or not it does what it's supposed to do. Anymore details would go unnoticed by the average passer by, unless like other have said your walking from the bridge. I personally think it looks great. If they built a welcome sign like what you mentioned (which I don't doubt would be great looking) would potentially cause traffic backups and who knows whatelse with everyone stopping and trying to get a good look at it. Also any welcome sign has been on the basic sign. The "Welcome to Magic Kingdom" sign doesn't have a minuture of what the park looks like. None of them do they are all basic for the most part. As are the signs to any of the resorts. For what the sign is supposed to do it works. They didn't even have to add the water effects to it. They did because it in a way goes with the theme of the springs.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Give it 3 years. It'll be a planter. ;) It would be funny if it weren't true. ;)

I am glad that you can tell the further and know what Disney is going to do 3 years from now. I remember everyone saying when Disney Springs start construction how bad it was going to be. Now that it seems to have surpassed expectations; we have to look three years into the further to find something of complain about.

articos

I am glad that you can tell the further and know what Disney is going to do 3 years from now. I remember everyone saying when Disney Springs start construction how bad it was going to be. Now that it seems to have surpassed expectations; we have to look three years into the further to find something of complain about.
I think people are taking things far more seriously than I meant them to be when I made the initial comment on something I noticed that I would have sent back for redesign. I tried to explain my thought process in order to calm this down, from the perspective of someone who tries to make these projects the best they can possibly be, whether they're a mall, attraction, hotel or parking tram. I'm making a joke about the planters, DVC. Sorry if everyone's getting all up in arms because I'm expressing my opinion that they could have done this piece of DS better. I give everyone a modicum of respect in my responses here, I always hope to have the same back. So, no more responses on this topic from me.

@articos it is better than a -- darn one color LED marquee, though, RIGHT?
Absolutely!

Last edited:

HiYa Pal

I really enjoyed the new additions this past Sunday. Daily Poutine and Aristocrepes were amazing, but one thing I have to say is severely lacking is shaded/covered seating and fans. It was HOT and no breeze at all once you get away from the lake. I would have spent a lot more time, and more money, if it wasn't so sweltering. I'm not saying fans like Uni has in their queues, but, for example, ceiling fans under the pergola next to Amorettes. I'm saving comment on the shopping till more stores are open.

cindy_k

Ceiling fans don't do anything IMO. They need to have those mister fans going like they have at AK.
Something to provide extra shade and some rain cover would be good too.

Got soaked at Springs last Friday meeting some out of town family for their last touring evening.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, July 8. A new construction wall appeared Monday night (July 4) on the bridge between the Paddlefish plaza and T-Rex Café. This wall completely blocks the pedestrian passage for the next six weeks (thru mid-Aug or early fall) along the waterfront. Guests now must use the passages through Town Center to avoid these dead ends. The biggest impact is for all the kiosks that moved from the bridge to the Paddlefish plaza, and the kiosks already located at the plaza. A significant decrease in walk-by customers for Filthy Rich, Sublime, Duncan Yo-Yo, Set the Bar, Florida Snow Company, and others. The Marketplace Causeway is not affected.

IMG_8131.JPG

The pavement leading up to the bridge is being repaired.

IMG_8133.JPG

Access to T-Rex Café is somewhat restricted.

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, July 8. The window displays for UNI QLO at Town Center are installed. Here is one of the visible windows. A peek through the doors and other windows shows all the store fixtures and merchandise is in place. I have no inside information, but it appears opening could be within just a few days....if not this weekend.

IMG_8137.JPG

halltd

Photo update as of Friday, July 8. The window displays for UNI QLO at Town Center are installed. Here is one of the visible windows. A peek through the doors and other windows shows all the store fixtures and merchandise is in place. I have no inside information, but it appears opening could be within just a few days....if not this weekend.

View attachment 150086
Radio commercials, and the Orlando Sentinel, say July 15th. Maybe they'll have a soft opening before, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom