DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know that I quoted you on that post, and I do that often, I forget to add that when I make statements like that unless I have pointed out a particular thing you said, I'm talking to everyone. I used your post as a jumping off point and that was a general appeal for people to stop whining about something that they have no control over or even know the reasons or have any experience in construction but seem to know how long it should take to build attractions or the details of what is needed to complete the task. Sorry, if that wasn't clear... no direct connection was intended. The only problem I have is the idea that there is any feasible reason to drag their feet to open something that they have a capital output on. It isn't beneficial tax wise or income wise. I just don't buy it. I could see holding off on Frozen to get the super M&G next door ready to open at the same time to have a location for crowds to have a place to go. But, to just generally conclude that there is some strange profit motivation to not open it, is totally counter to the argument that Disney is super greedy.
In this case it's not counter to the greed argument at all. The 3rd track at TSMM is not going to drive any additional revenue. Nobody will visit WDW because that ride has a 3rd track. It does however have additional costs to operate. So from an income perspective they will benefit by waiting to open it since it's all operating expense and depreciation with little or no additional revenue. They will need more staff, more electricity for the lights, ride vehicles and A/C for the show building. The new components will also be "on the clock" as far as time until they need maintenance. The sooner it goes into service the sooner it will need to be maintained. I'm not sure the tax benefit of starting to depreciate the assets a few months earlier is really all that material to the bottom line of TWDC.

So what's the point of this project? To expand capacity. Why? In the short run because they are taking several attractions offline to make room for construction and in the long run to ensure adequate capacity for the expected increased crowds when SW Land and Toy Story Land open. There is no economic incentive to open the 3rd track before its needed. They closed LMA, the playground and the rest of streets of America after Spring Break in April. It's a somewhat down time right now so not peak crowds. They are opening TSMM 3rd track right before the summer rush when the crowds will be much bigger and that lost capacity will be really felt. I think it was definitely planned this way rather than some unforeseen delay causing the project to be stretched out.

Mike S

In this case it's not counter to the greed argument at all. The 3rd track at TSMM is not going to drive any additional revenue. Nobody will visit WDW because that ride has a 3rd track. It does however have additional costs to operate. So from an income perspective they will benefit by waiting to open it since it's all operating expense and depreciation with little or no additional revenue. They will need more staff, more electricity for the lights, ride vehicles and A/C for the show building. The new components will also be "on the clock" as far as time until they need maintenance. The sooner it goes into service the sooner it will need to be maintained. I'm not sure the tax benefit of starting to depreciate the assets a few months earlier is really all that material to the bottom line of TWDC.

So what's the point of this project? To expand capacity. Why? In the short run because they are taking several attractions offline to make room for construction and in the long run to ensure adequate capacity for the expected increased crowds when SW Land and Toy Story Land open. There is no economic incentive to open the 3rd track before its needed. They closed LMA, the playground and the rest of streets of America after Spring Break in April. It's a somewhat down time right now so not peak crowds. They are opening TSMM 3rd track right before the summer rush when the crowds will be much bigger and that lost capacity will be really felt. I think it was definitely planned this way rather than some unforeseen delay causing the project to be stretched out.
One could argue expanded capacity was needed since day 1 with the insane waits it attracts in WDW over DLR. I don't think even Tokyo opened with expanded capacity which is also kind of bizarre.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One could argue expanded capacity was needed since day 1 with the insane waits it attracts in WDW over DLR. I don't think even Tokyo opened with expanded capacity which is also kind of bizarre.
I agree 100%. I was trying to look at this from TDO's perspective not my own.

Cesar R M

Here's my theory. The extra capacity wasn't really needed until they closed a few more things like LMA. They have slightly higher operating and maintenance costs with the 3rd track which are more than offset by the decrease in costs for the closed attractions. We tend to always focus on budgets for new construction projects, but TDO has to also manage their operations and maintenance budgets. My guess is they didn't want to take on the extra costs when it wasn't 100% needed and they didn't have other cost reductions to offset it.
I actually wonder how long you can leave things unattended before they start to degrade in the Florida weather. (as in, how much they saved in the new track just to have to "fix" it to open it..).

But if what marni says is true.. then that darn is not even new.
They're pulling a emperors new clothes thing.

JohnWD

Most of the posts are opinions on how things should be different. I wouldn't call that whining! Just critical thinking!

jt04

Mr.Potato head isn't back, and they don't know when he will be :(
You also you now go left for the third track instead of upstairs

Mr Potato Head knows you always leave the crowd wanting more. I wish some habitual posters here were as smart as Potato Head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom