New DHS Area Resort? Star Wars Resort?

deere839

i wish they improved the Board walk area before adding more hotels its a nice little area and always nice to walk through going from hollywood studios to epcot

Rteetz

it is a nice little area but it feels like nobody goes to it im not sure if its lack advertising or what but its always dead
It's not supposed to be another Disney springs. The people that go there are the people staying at the resorts in the area unless you specifically want to go to one of the restaurants. I don't know what more you can want from it?

JohnWD

it is a nice little area but it feels like nobody goes to it im not sure if its lack advertising or what but its always dead
We stay at the Boardwalk every year (though this year at BLT). During the day it is sparse - everybody is at the parks. At night it is a different story - it is crowded with people enjoying the entertainment, games, dining, and the deserts.

SYRIK2000

Wasn't this a rumor when the board first approved the DHS money? I think it would be great and a lot of fun for any SW fan. Also that proximity to the park I believe it would be a Deluxe.

CaptainAmerica

A permit was filed two weeks ago to release that land, as well as some other plots, from the conservation easement. This indicates to me that they have a desire to eventually use that land for something. Doesn't mean there are firm plans, but there is enough room for a resort if they wanted to.

Wetland Use Expansion Permit
What's the timeline on that kind of thing from Submission -> Approval -> Development?

Art of Animation may be popular, but it's garish and lacks any warmth. If they're going to build a hotel to compliment the "new" park (a la Animal Kingdom Lodge) make it classy/old Hollywood. Not something with ugly, huge statues of Buzz Lightyear or an AT-AT as "decoration". That is beneath the quality expected from a Disney World hotel.

AoA is also super fun and great for families. Nice pools, food court and great space in the suites. Best value resort there is.

If they were to do Star Wars anything, I'm thinking it would fall into the moderate category (considering the location of the land near DHS) and have subtle touches of Star Wars. IMO.
I'd be shocked if anything that close to a park was less than Deluxe. I don't think you'd see giant plastic Yodas anywhere.

Disney's Death Star Prison Block Resort?
detblock.jpg
Shut up and take my money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What's the timeline on that kind of thing from Submission -> Approval -> Development?

If the permit is accepted as-is it can get approved in 30 days, if there are issues it can go back and forth for a few months. In the case of this permit there is no actual development being asked for, this is just about changing the status of the land. This permit ties in with the permit Disney filed last year asking for more wetland impacts to be used over the next 30 years, so this change of status for the land doesn't mean and kind of construction is immanent.

Rodan75

Of course if they build a resort here, it would be a DVC. Long live the DVC!

You know you are probably starting a DVC vs. non-DVC war...I think the last one just calmed down, an uneasy peace had fallen over the kingdom. I'm assuming that any new DHS Area hotel, which I'm assuming will be SW themed, will include significant DVC components. Doesn't make sense for Disney to not include them at this stage. Of course they could just retheme the Treehouses add some interactive Yodas and call it Dagobah...

Brian Swan

Absolute hands down NO to a Star Wars hotel. Hotels shouldn't be based on IP's. Shanghai's Toy Story Hotel looks pretty bad, imho. Disney hotels are successful when they are not tied to existing property.
AoA? AS-Movies? I'm personally ambivalent to the idea of a SW resort, and probably would not stay in one if built, but I'm guessing they could make it deluxe, charge whatever they wanted to, and have it pretty much sold out 365 days a year...

Haymarket2008

AoA? AS-Movies? I'm personally ambivalent to the idea of a SW resort, and probably would not stay in one if built, but I'm guessing they could make it deluxe, charge whatever they wanted to, and have it pretty much sold out 365 days a year...

A later post of mine disparaged Art of Animation for it's tackiness. It's far below the quality of a WDW hotel. I know it's not a deluxe and serves a different purpose, but it just looks tacky. I do, however, think that if they are going to build a hotel right next to Hollywood Studios and possibly tie it to themes from the park, it'll be deluxe. I'm very much against a SW hotel as well.

Haymarket2008

Elaborate on this.

A Star Wars Deluxe would be at capacity always.

I just don't think a whole hotel dedicated to a single IP is a place I'd ever want to stay. It's like you haven't even left the parks. What is successful about the immersive, highly themed hotels in WDW is that you're allowed to relax by way of a unique theme, not plopped into a story. It's a different type of immersion than the parks. Being in an extension of Star Wars Land and having all the staff say "May the Force be with you" instead of "Good morning" would be too much. It's just not for me. I'd have no doubt that it would be "successful" and that people would stay there. I want to come back to a place that is themed, not a continuation of a specific story and universe. It'd be too much, imho.

Kamikaze

I just don't think a whole hotel dedicated to a single IP is a place I'd ever want to stay. It's like you haven't even left the parks. What is successful about the immersive, highly themed hotels in WDW is that you're allowed to relax by way of a unique theme, not plopped into a story. It's a different type of immersion than the parks. Being in an extension of Star Wars Land and having all the staff say "May the Force be with you" instead of "Good morning" would be too much. It's just not for me. I'd have no doubt that it would be "successful" and that people would stay there. I want to come back to a place that is themed, not a continuation of a specific story and universe. It'd be too much, imho.

You said 'I'm against', not 'I wouldn't stay there'. Those are two different things.

Also, people have wanted since 1977 to 'live' in the Star Wars Galaxy. A themed hotel would allow that to happen even moreso than SWL will.

Kingtut

I am a long time lurker but in line with all of the WDW cuts happening - I would like to suggest a Dagobah themed hotel - the land currently is a wetland - so themeing costs would be minimal - A/C in the rooms would be unnecessary ( more attention to detail) - rooms would not need housekeeping ( Yoda didn't seem to be a clean freak to me) so less staffing needed. Sounds like a money maker to me.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself

Back to lurking status...

Mawg

There may be room to build a resort here, but curious is WDW short of rooms that it should build one? If they build a new resort and then the rest of the resorts don't make occupancy, doesn't that mean more discounts and less money after spending 100's of millions on a new resort?

ProfSavage

You know, they could theme the different wings to different planets with subtle Star Wars touches in the rooms and furnishings. Cloud City, Coruscant, Tatooine, Endor, Yavin 4, Hoth, Death Star. Tatooine would be desert themed and use like a Puebla/sandstone color scheme. Endor would be more "rustic" with greens and browns. Yeah this could work...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom