More places to get beer and wine at the Magic Kingdom

Castle Cake Apologist

Then I guess neither one of us is wrong. So let's move on!

To me, serving alcohol in the Magic Kingdom is a subject that there really isn't a wrong or right on. Any possible argument is clearly going to be an opinion.

As far as Walt goes, that was his desire for Disneyland. He didn't live to even see ground break on WDW, so who knows how he would have felt about this. It's ludicrous to try to speak for the dead. That part wasn't directed to you Goofyer, just a general observation.

Brewmaster

Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK. Heck, why not create alcoholic chewing gum and go the full mile...
Fantastic idea!

Wdw62114

DisneyPub.jpg

My vision for Gaston's Tavern! More booze for everyone!!!!!!

TeriofTerror

1. Can I go an entire day without an alcoholic beverage? Of course. Does't mean I wouldn't like to have the option, however.
2. Tolerating throngs of snot-nosed brats is a lot easier with the aid of a potent potable. Claiming that all adults who want a drink are "drunken idiots" is like claiming that all of your precious princes and princesses are right royal pains in the posterior. You're likely to encounter both at WDW; big deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. It's a shame drinking with characters is discouraged. I think tipping back a few with King Stefan and King Hubert would be a blast. "Skumps!"

ABQ

Woah. Oh my.... I found this a little harsh. Anyway, quick fact check, WDW does sell cigarettes. They are kept under the countes, out of sight, must be asked for, and are about $11 a pack.

I think a glass of wine with dinner at Cinderella Castle would be completely appropriate, except that Cinderella is present. I believe Disney forbids any of its characters to be in a picture with an alcoholic beverage present. Once on Castaway Cay, Jack Sparrow made me put my cup down before agreeing to take a picture with me. He was worried it might have rum in it, and if so, that he would steal it and run. lol. See now Jack... he's your drunken idiot. Me? I put the cup down and got my picture taken. Back at MK..... Crystal Palace with characters.... not so much. Skipper Canteen... I think few single shot themed cocktail beverages on the menu would be great, with a limit of one drink per entree ordered. This does not make me a drunken idiot. And a few alcoholic options with a full service meal is reasonable.
I'm sure they try their best to avoid it, but not sure it's 100% forbidden. Garden Grill serves beer, wine and some silly expensive frozen concoction all with Mickey, Mini, and friends roaming about for photos. Same is true at Chef Mickey's. Might be different with face characters vs foam heads.

Nmoody1

I used to be dead against alcohol consumption in the Magic Kingdom, however I do t see why it can't be served at table service locations. I don't think quick service or ODV carts should serve alcohol, but it's fine with a meal. you are able to drink at table service locations everywhere else on Disney property, what makes a glass of wine or beer with dinner any different in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm not saying lets introduce a hub food and wine fest and see how drunk and loud we can get.

Disney really should get better on serving based on consumption and behaviour, but that's an argument for a food and wine thread!

As for the Walt argument, we are so far from anything he ever envisioned for Florida that I think that argument is mute. It pains me to say it, but sadly, Walt Disney is just another one of Bob Igers IP's these days. Also, Disneyland was set up in the 50's when alcohol may not have been as socially acceptable as it is today. Remember Disneyland served tobacco when it opened - again, social norms have changed since the 50's. Disneyland was never meant to be a museum, things were meant to change and grow. Maybe if Walt had lived longer he may have changed his stance on alcohol consumption. I'm sure all of those people living in the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow would have wanted to go places to enjoy alcohol with dinner.

Also, the you can take a short walk to the contemporary, grand Floridian or Polynesian and have an alcoholic drink with lunch, then come straight back into the Magic Kingdom. What's the difference with being able to enjoy a drink with your meal at Be Our Guest or Skipper Canteen.

As long as it's confined to restaurant diners only, and I don't have to look at people drinking beer in line for my favourite attractions, it's not really a problem. It's no different to going to Rainforrest cafe or T-Rex.

You never know, if alcohol with dinner proves popular in the Magic Kingdom we may actually get some more table service restaurants, in a park that is desperate for improved dining and more places to sit down and eat a full service meal.

Nmoody1

Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK. Heck, why not create alcoholic chewing gum and go the full mile...

Tomorrowland could do with some attention ;) I think we'd all favor a decent attraction over a microbrewery ;)

SW_matt

And if you were the only person on the planet, that would be fine. But, you aren't. It may not be you that I'm talking about, but, even if I was there are 42 square miles of places to get a drink in WDW. Having it in MK is hardly depriving anyone of the "joy of an adult beverage". In my mind, you don't take a boom box to church and you don't drink in MK. Somethings are done for a purpose and unfortunately, because you can control yourself does not mean that everyone can. It also might not be YOUR children that I am concerned about... it might be all of them, which is much more important then your desire to consume alcohol. Go the places where you can and it is allowed, leave MK alone. It's bad enough that they have allowed it in the BOG, it need not permeate throughout the park.

Also do not assume that I am against responsible drinking in general, but, some places just shouldn't be involved. MK is one of them.

I still haven't been able to actually discern any actual reasons in your posts for why MK is the only part of WDW that shouldn't sell alcohol? Its not like its the only family orientated park? And there is no reason that alcohol need be at odds with family life, sure the minority will take it too far and will be a risk to their children but banning alcohol consumption in one park in one resort in one country isn't going to save the worlds children.

There is no reason to punish the vast majority who CAN control themselves and behave in a reasonable manner, its far better and far more justicable to deal with the actual problem by removing those guests swiftly. Alcohol provision isn't the root of the problem- those people are. I'm not a massive touter of the 'freedom to do what I like' malarkey but if I want to have a drink (very infrequently) I will, and without worrying that i'm endangering everyone in the park by doing so just because a few of us can't keep a lid on it!

Goofyernmost

I still haven't been able to actually discern any actual reasons in your posts for why MK is the only part of WDW that shouldn't sell alcohol? Its not like its the only family orientated park? And there is no reason that alcohol need be at odds with family life, sure the minority will take it too far and will be a risk to their children but banning alcohol consumption in one park in one resort in one country isn't going to save the worlds children.

There is no reason to punish the vast majority who CAN control themselves and behave in a reasonable manner, its far better and far more justicable to deal with the actual problem by removing those guests swiftly. Alcohol provision isn't the root of the problem- those people are. I'm not a massive touter of the 'freedom to do what I like' malarkey but if I want to have a drink (very infrequently) I will, and without worrying that i'm endangering everyone in the park by doing so just because a few of us can't keep a lid on it!
Sure, lets add another level of security and disruption to the other guest so that an addiction can be satisfied. What is that song by Jim Croce... "You don't tug on supermans cape, you don't spit in the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger and you don't mess around with slim". Some places should be alcohol free and to me MK is one of those places.

But, you know what... Since my age, my health and my finances will probably prevent me from ever attending the place again, what the heck... turn the place into a brothel for all I care. I'm sure that's next on the list anyway. BTW, in case you are thinking that I am a tea-teetotaler, you would be wrong. I don't drink much anymore, but, I had my day. I don't care if people drink, but, I do now and always have felt that there is a time and a place for everything and if we leave nothing as an alternative for those that need a alcohol free place to spend time then we get what we deserve. So go for it. I no longer give a rats butt!

jaklgreen

OK, my take. Personally, I am not a big drinker. I do not crave it or even think about having an alcoholic beverage most days of my life. I will have a pina colada or a margarita if I go out with my sister on occasion but never more then one or two drinks and they pretty much just wipe me out. I don't know how people can drink several times a week, maybe it affects them differently, IDK. Maybe I am too much of a control freak to loose control. But if you want to have a drink and are able to without it affecting you in a negative way, then go for it. As far as serving at MK, I do not see it any different then any other park. Although I still can picture a Mom I saw at Epcot trying to juggle a big beer stein from Germany trying to push her kid in the stroller. Something about that image does not sit Kosher with me. I like to have all of my faculties when I am with my kids, especially in a crowded place. So drinking when I am with them just does not sit well with me. I do not think that some people with the crowds and heat, necessarily need to bring alcohol into the mix. And you know the first time someone gets drunk and irate, someone will capture it on video and everyone will be, "see, alcohol should not be served at MK". I don't think it would end well for Disney's reputation.

216bruce

Sure, lets add another level of security and disruption to the other guest so that an addiction can be satisfied. What is that song by Jim Croce... "You don't tug on supermans cape, you don't spit in the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger and you don't mess around with slim". Some places should be alcohol free and to me MK is one of those places.

But, you know what... Since my age, my health and my finances will probably prevent me from ever attending the place again, what the heck... turn the place into a brothel for all I care. I'm sure that's next on the list anyway. BTW, in case you are thinking that I am a tea-teetotaler, you would be wrong. I don't drink much anymore, but, I had my day. I don't care if people drink, but, I do now and always have felt that there is a time and a place for everything and if we leave nothing as an alternative for those that need a alcohol free place to spend time then we get what we deserve. So go for it. I no longer give a rats butt!
I so agree. One of the nice things about the MK was that when our kids were little we could go there with the feeling that the park was as family-friendly as it could possibly be...no booze sold, no foul printed messages on t-shirts allowed, minimal and butts hanging out of clothes, etc. It was special in it's near guarantee for you to escape being an adult and dealing with 'adult stuff'. You, the adult, could be you, the kid, again and join your kids, spouse, etc. in this shared momentary childhood.
Yeah, I get the idea that having a glass of wine at Tony's would be 'nice' as would having a rum drink at Skippers and there's nothing wrong with a responsible adult doing so. However, in doing so, you end up chipping away at the opportunity to make 'adulthood' go away for a while and to be a kid. That's a loss and a pity that people don't seem to be either willing or able to do so. Everyone is just so 'entitled' to wanting what they want NOW. A nation of Veruca Salt. Lots of bars and sit-downs with drinks at every other park at WDW. Leave one for us kids. Thanks.

Glasgow

I reluctantly clicked on this thread, knowing that there would be a feud brewing .. see what I did there? Anyway, surely everyone can see both sides of the argument. In the end, sadly, almost nothing matters except for the financial impact. I imagine they'll give it a shot and if behavior becomes out of hand, there will be changes made - this is why any alcohol related changes will be rolled out slowly, IMO.

At any rate, the only reason this is an issue is because of society at large - it always comes back to people. Saying what Walt would or would not have done is ludicrous .. its a moot point, the world has changed, for better or for worse. As with character integration, the order of the day is moderation, both in how they implement the addition and how people react.

Last call for rebuttals? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom