PHOTOS - Construction walls now block of the back section of Streets of America

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How about "Adventures in Disney Acquisitions?"
I'm sorry, this is such a stupid criticism and it gets thrown around here a lot.

Snow White - 19th century German fairy tale
Cinderella - 17th century French folk tale, later published by the Brothers Grimm in 1812
The Lion King - Based on Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Peter Pan - First appeared in The Little White Bird in 1902
Dumbo - Based on a children's story written by Helen Aberson and introduced to Walt by his head of merchandise licensing (gasp!)
Beauty and the Beast - 18th century French fairytale

Disney feature films have always been based on "acquired" IP, the only difference is that many of the classics were public domain so there was no billion-dollar buyout of the rights to the content.

Pinhead

I'm sorry, this is such a stupid criticism and it gets thrown around here a lot.

Cinderella - 17th century French folk tale, later published by the Brothers Grimm in 1812
Dumbo - Based on a children's story written by Helen Aberson and introduced to Walt by his head of merchandise licensing (gasp!)

Disney feature films have always been based on "acquired" IP, the only difference is that many of the classics were public domain so there was no billion-dollar buyout of the rights to the content.
I was referring to the companies (Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc.) that were acquired and account for the majority of dedicated real estate. Wasn't intended as a criticism at all. In fact, I consider it very good business and I like it a lot. But thanks so much for your thoughtful comments, Captain.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I was referring to the companies (Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc.) that were acquired and account for the majority of dedicated real estate. Wasn't intended as a criticism at all. In fact, I consider it very good business and I like it a lot. But thanks so much for your thoughtful comments, Captain.
Then I redact my addressing the comments to you specifically. There are many people who express exactly the criticism that I thought you were making, and I redirect my comments to those folks.

ToTBellHop

They are updating the show, and there will probably be an extension of the existing stuff. I think the thought was ROL would take some of the pressure off, and they could tinker with the new elements then. Since ROL isn't going live, there is a need to keep running the fireworks to draw crowds away from Magic Kingdom at night
There is such a need. And yet...nothing scheduled.

dgp602

I feel sadness as I look at the area being demolished but I do love me some Star Wars. I just miss the park I fell in love with when I was 8.
I have to say the R2 observing photo is pretty stinkin' cute!
Did you see in the first photo, there is a snowman on a roof? Is that leftover from the Osbourne lights?

jt04

Iger' s Islands of Aquisitions.

SirLink

Well IP, or intellectual property is where in this case Disney was paying someone else for the license. For example, they still have to pay Great Ormond Street Hospital for rights to Peter Pan in the UK in perpituity and also in the US until 2023. So Nah.

And the Lion King Disney stole the story and character archetypes from Kimba the White Lion...

HauntedMansionFLA

I've always find it interesting when people talk about " What Walt created " and have no idea that they are classic literature. Most of the authors were dead which lead to the showdown with PL Travers. Iger is just doing what Walt did years ago.

Goofyernmost

I've always find it interesting when people talk about " What Walt created " and have no idea that they are classic literature. Most of the authors were dead which lead to the showdown with PL Travers. Iger is just doing what Walt did years ago.
Please keep that quiet. We wouldn't want to burst the little fantasy bubble that the IP haters are living in. They might require hospitalization.

Goofyernmost

There's a difference between IP haters and those who recognise when an IP is unsuitable for a given ride / location.
To be honest, no, it isn't really a huge difference, but, I was referring to the general hatred of IP as if ever single thing in the park is not some sort of IP. Some are generated by Disney and others are purchased from others, but, IP's they are. As far as the mixture of Frozen with Norway is concerned, I'm starting to get the impression that this is a problem for a few people that have an indelible image of what Disney should be and it is based on the past. At this point in time it is impossible for me to see why staying the way it was is or will be beneficial to World Showcase. As it was, the place was dying on the vine and was being artificially held up by Flowers, Food and Booze. I don't know if this will help, but, I do know that it is going to bring a new life to Epcot that isn't related to drinking.

People get upset about Frozen, but, for some reason that I cannot understand no one seems to be bothered by the concept of "Drinking around the World". If you want something that smacks in the face of anything that was imagined for a Disney Park that would be the poster child. Yet, hardly a word is ever mentioned. If we could save World Showcase by filling it with IP to get rid of the party till you puke promotions, it would be a wonderful thing.

RSoxNo1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom