Survey crews on the Streets of America

NYwdwfan

To the right of LMA:

iaC39rF.jpg

Welcome to WDWmagic!

djkidkaz

Every time I have seen them at Disney new construction has followed within 2 years.

Which would be in line with the suggested timelines. If Toy Story is done within 2 years, that would mean Star Wars would have about 1 year left leading me to believe they could begin on whatever is Phase 3.

Ignohippo

Which would be in line with the suggested timelines. If Toy Story is done within 2 years, that would mean Star Wars would have about 1 year left leading me to believe they could begin on whatever is Phase 3.

That's what I was thinking too.

It also leads me to believe that this further confirms that SoA is NOT the location for SWland. This kind of surveying would have needed to have been done a long time ago if they are beginning construction on SWland imminently.

I could certainly be very wrong, but I would think this kind of work would need to be completed at the beginning of the design stage, well before any construction could begin (unless they are there as a last minute double-check of the measurements to make sure everything is correct before construction begins, which isn't likely). Surely they would know exactly where everything is, without the need to survey again, wouldn't they?

Seems most likely for a Phase 3.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That's a great question. Survey crews do a couple of things. They find distances between different locations such as existing building foot print locations in relation to known survey markers (like my picture). They also measure elevation at specific points so they know how infrastructure such as roads, underground utilities and other such things interact with the ground elevation. They measure landscape feature locations such as rock outcroppings, rivers and that sort of thing and they also locate and mark locations for new infrastructure coming in. What this means, and I'm going to use new home construction as an example, is that survey crews will locate the property boundaries and then locate any natural landscape features that will interfere with construction, then they layout locations for underground utilities and then once those are in they come back again to plot the location of building foot prints.

Make sense?
Thanks for the explanation . Unfortunatly now i know something new, something old has just been deleted .

Rob562

I'm pretty sure that's actually a men's room in there. A huge, very empty men's room now. Good spot to do your business without a crowd. I assume that building goes away when the show ends.

Well, they're both men's and women's restrooms...

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they leave that particular building standing while they tear down everything else around it. They did exactly that with the bathrooms in Camp Minnie-Mickey. The CMM bathrooms are still standing, right next to the "hangar" building (presumed to be a counter service restaurant) in Avatar. It's assumed that they'll simply reopen with the new land with the interior redesigned.

If they can find a way to leave these LMA restrooms standing and then work them into whatever eventually gets built back there, there's some cost savings of not having to tear out and re-install all those utilities later on. (And if they leave it up and then decide to tear it down later on, hey, no huge loss)

-Rob

Jon81uk

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they leave that particular building standing while they tear down everything else around it. They did exactly that with the bathrooms in Camp Minnie-Mickey. The CMM bathrooms are still standing, right next to the "hangar" building (presumed to be a counter service restaurant) in Avatar. It's assumed that they'll simply reopen with the new land with the interior redesigned.

If they can find a way to leave these LMA restrooms standing and then work them into whatever eventually gets built back there, there's some cost savings of not having to tear out and re-install all those utilities later on. (And if they leave it up and then decide to tear it down later on, hey, no huge loss)

-Rob

I think the Avatarland ones are also being used by the construction crew?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

-Rob
Good point. I never hit the women's room there but it makes sense that there would be one.

Could they skip porta potties and let the construction workers use the bathrooms too? Unless they need the space for something else it seems like s waste to just knock them down.

Mike S

The Disney-owned Marvel movie brand was conspicuously absent from plans to rehabilitate Hollywood Studios. Although Disney bought Marvel in 2009 for $4 billion, the Florida theme park rights to Marvel characters like Spider-Man, the Hulk and Captain America continue to be held by Universal under a long-term contract.

Asked in an interview in July if Universal would ever sell those rights, Thomas L. Williams, Universal’s theme park chairman, answered with one word: “No.”
http://nytimes.com/2015/08/16/busin...for-star-wars-attractions.html?referrer=&_r=0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom