Survey crews on the Streets of America

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Spotted today.

DSC05977-1.jpg

roj2323

What do Survey Crews do anyway since I'm unfamiliar with how construction and deconstruction works?

That's a great question. Survey crews do a couple of things. They find distances between different locations such as existing building foot print locations in relation to known survey markers (like my picture). They also measure elevation at specific points so they know how infrastructure such as roads, underground utilities and other such things interact with the ground elevation. They measure landscape feature locations such as rock outcroppings, rivers and that sort of thing and they also locate and mark locations for new infrastructure coming in. What this means, and I'm going to use new home construction as an example, is that survey crews will locate the property boundaries and then locate any natural landscape features that will interfere with construction, then they layout locations for underground utilities and then once those are in they come back again to plot the location of building foot prints.

Make sense?

radiorae

That's a great question. Survey crews do a couple of things. They find distances between different locations such as existing building foot print locations in relation to known survey markers (like my picture). They also measure elevation at specific points so they know how infrastructure such as roads, underground utilities and other such things interact with the ground elevation. They measure landscape feature locations such as rock outcroppings, rivers and that sort of thing and they also locate and mark locations for new infrastructure coming in. What this means, and I'm going to use new home construction as an example, is that survey crews will locate the property boundaries and then locate any natural landscape features that will interfere with construction, then they layout locations for underground utilities and then once those are in they come back again to plot the location of building foot prints.

Make sense?

Thanks for that! I had no idea what they did either. You learn something new every day :happy:

wannabeBelle

Make sense?
And a great response!!! Thanks! Marie

Tom

Beta Return
What do Survey Crews do anyway since I'm unfamiliar with how construction and deconstruction works?

Surveyors do two major tasks - they record data from EXISTING conditions, and they lay out for NEW construction.

Based on what equipment this crew is using, it seems as though they are probably going around the site, making note of everything that's there now. They'll put all that on a set of blueprints, and use it as the starting point of the new design.

Tom

Beta Return

Make sense?

Great minds :)

roj2323

Surveyors do two major tasks - they record data from EXISTING conditions, and they lay out for NEW construction.

Based on what equipment this crew is using, it seems as though they are probably going around the site, making note of everything that's there now. They'll put all that on a set of blueprints, and use it as the starting point of the new design.

Now if only I were capable of being concise like this. =)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom