DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

tirian

It would also be ABOUT FRICKIN' TIME we had SOMETHING substantive regarding Mary Poppins in the parks. But of course that won't happen. Sure, Poppins got great box office and won numerous awards, but that didn't happen during Iger's tenure, so who cares?
It didn't even happen under Walts brother tenure when they had designed a Mary Poppins attraction for Fantasyland, but ya know there will never be a strong Mary Poppins presence in the parks. You do realise that?

It might be easier to build the Jolly Holiday-style attraction now that Travers is dead. Years ago, Disney temporarily couldn't use Mary in merchandise or marketing because the contract was up for renegotiations. Photopass couldn't take pictures of her for nearly a year. Mary has a complicated licensing history in the theme parks.

Travers was notoriously (and foolishly) angry at the WDC for what it "did" to her creation (a.k.a. made it friendlier and more profitable), and the newer Mary Poppins agreement is probably better for the WDC.

The same temporary licensing block occurred with Winnie the Pooh, but the Milne family generally appreciated the millions they've made from Disney, and only asked for the company to discontinue the newer Pooh stories from the 80s and 90s.

Edit: of course, this is theoretical because no Poppins attractions are coming.

Last edited:

SirLink

Now that is just soooooooooooo wrong. You obviously don't know what she wanted done. If Walt had listened to her, the movie would have been a disaster. She didn't much like ANYTHING Walt's artists created, nor did she like the casting, including Julie Andrews, the guy who played Bert, and she didn't like the music, the sets, anything. She even demanded that the color red never be seen in the movie because...well, because she didn't like red. She sure did like the money the movie sale brought in though, and the way the movie revitalized her book sales. She only turned sour after it became clear that there would be no sequel. In point of fact, Travers was messed up as a person. She could write a good book, but she could NOT write a good movie version of her book. Walt was more than fair to her, especially in that, despite her weirdness and interference, he managed to create a huge hit that did more for her books' longevity than Travers ever could have done herself. "Give in to her demands", good grief. If you have an issue with Walt and his writers taking some of the darkness out of the stories they adapted, then one can only assume that you don't like Disney films at all. Because they're ALL like that. The key is knowing how much darkness to take out. Walt let Bambi's mother die, you know, and he let Old Yeller get shot and Lampwick remain a donkey. Just how "happy" is all that?

But again no increased presence of Mary Poppins in DHS.

*Thread corrected *

dizda

Yup. Recycling a 12 year old show is a great way to freshen up DHS.

*1023*
It would be something new for DHS, and as much as an entirely new show would be preferable, with all of the other money being spent on the DHS make over, I do not see Disney paying to develop a new show for a half-day park that will soon be half-closed. Aladdin would be something while construction is happening. If age of an attraction is the chief criteria, then Disney should close ToT (and stop building clones) because it will be 22 years old soon.

Last edited:

doctornick

However, Alladin is a GREAT show that I would wager a very small percentage of WDW travelers have seen. It would certainly be fresh to the majority of guests. I would be very excited if they brought it to WDW even as a temporary move.

Eh, not everyone loves it. Personally, it wasn't much cup of tea as I find the whole improv Genie talking about pop culture to be distraction from what was otherwise a high quality theater production.

I'd love to see something on the same scale of Aladdin but with a different theme and without the improv jokes. YMMV.

Fox&Hound

So Phase 3 is a somewhat definite? It's been green lit?

If so, are people still suggesting more Star Wars, Monsters Inc, or Incredibles/super hero? Any hints?

So excited for this park and what it will
become!!!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
And I know this is a bit petty, but I think Iger's a bit more IP-hungry than Eisner. I mean, when Eisner was in office, they only bought out ABC and ESPN and that was it. But with Iger, suddenly Disney's got Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and who knows what else?

Not petty at all. Accurate and important. I think that Iger is of the view that Disney can develop, profit from, manage and exploit IP better than others. As such, as long as it's the right kind of IP at the right price, buying it is, in Iger's view, absolutely the right thing to do. So far, that piece of his strategy looks pretty good.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well, with it replacing a lot of Disneyland history, I think I have had enough.
Not that much, really. The Ranch opened in the mid-80s, has been cut back in size, since then, and the BBQ has operated sporadically over the years. Everything else will return, I think, although changed somewhat.

Even after this, the biggest piece of Disneyland history displaced by Star Wars is Adventures thru Innerspace.

G00fyDad

You just never know. Massive hit in California. It would be the same in Florida. And if people are worried about duplicating lands, why are they so excited for Star Wars Land in both?

I'm not excited for SWL to be in both. And why do you think Cars would be such a huge hit in FL? I see it as a huge let down if they did it just like CA. Too rainy in FL. Besides, people flocked to Cars Land because it was finally something major that was new. Not because it was Cars.

Goofyernmost

No Cars for us! Leave it in Cali.

They may be waiting to see what IP is "doing well/great" at the time before making any hard plans on what to do for phase 3.
Hey, I have an idea. If it comes to WDW all you have to do is not go to it. You don't have to fight to prevent others from enjoying it. That's just a tad self-centered!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom