2015 Crowd Level Analysis: Final, Wrapup Edition

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Thanks, PhotoDave219 for your efforts. Very interesting to see the numbers, although from our visits- always in supposed "slower" off season times- we've noticed a big increase in the crowds.

The question that I'm having trouble answering is : "How much are the crowds increasing?" Instead I found the answer of: "No Idea but you're waiting in line dramatically longer than last year."

rudyjr13

Can't this be traced back to the fact that there is almost nothing to do in one of the four parks until it is fixed? DHS. Throw in AK not being quite there yet without Avatar and the night time entertainment coming AND EPCOT's future world being a shell of its former self. Finally on top of all of that yes there's the FP+ elephant in the room that is making standby lines longer which many of you have been saying on here for a couple years now. Seems like the perfect storm over the past year. Hopefully the improvements and additions coming will fix this issue over the next 3-5 years.

KikoKea

The question that I'm having trouble answering is : "How much are the crowds increasing?" Instead I found the answer of: "No Idea but you're waiting in line dramatically longer than last year."

Unscientific guess I know, but just from our observation from going once or twice a year usually in the Fall or Winter is that the crowds then are up at least 25%. Those used to be dead times. You could walk without having to dodge people, get into Beauty and the Beast show without having to be in line half an hour or more earlier, or wait in a long line for counter service. It was about 2 years ago that we noticed a big increase in South American tourists and the crowds surprised and dismayed us.

How much manipulation of wait times do the CMs do? I know we've gotten in line at SM when the wait was supposed to be long, but it really wasn't.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Unscientific guess I know, but just from our observation from going once or twice a year usually in the Fall or Winter is that the crowds then are up at least 25%. Those used to be dead times. You could walk without having to dodge people, get into Beauty and the Beast show without having to be in line half an hour or more earlier, or wait in a long line for counter service. It was about 2 years ago that we noticed a big increase in South American tourists and the crowds surprised and dismayed us.

How much manipulation of wait times do the CMs do? I know we've gotten in line at SM when the wait was supposed to be long, but it really wasn't.

They attempt it. I've talked with Len on the side, their methodology pretty much negates the attempts and I'm comfortable with it.

Basically, its just done by manipulating the flik cards and holding one longer than they should before giving it to the guests. Its a psychological thing, if the posted wait time is 35 and you only wait 15, you feel great. If its posted as 15 and you wait 35? You're unhappy.

If you read TP's blogs and then go into the components of each individual attraction that they base their numbers on, the small manipulation by a few cant really affect the park as an overall.

VIPguide_2030

Thank you for breaking down the numbers, this is always something I love to look at. Do you know of any statistical data that shows where people are coming from over the last 5 years? After a hiatus from 2004 - 2010 and then going in 2011 (Oct.), 2013 (Aug.), 2015 (Aug.) it seems like more and more of the crowd is from overseas. Is it just the time of year I am going (August primarily, I know Oct. is F&W) or is it a year round thing that Disney is pounding certain regions with special pricing?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Thank you for breaking down the numbers, this is always something I love to look at. Do you know of any statistical data that shows where people are coming from over the last 5 years? After a hiatus from 2004 - 2010 and then going in 2011 (Oct.), 2013 (Aug.), 2015 (Aug.) it seems like more and more of the crowd is from overseas. Is it just the time of year I am going (August primarily, I know Oct. is F&W) or is it a year round thing that Disney is pounding certain regions with special pricing?

That I dont..... Maybe try the good folks at Visit Orlando?

I know that there is UK free dining specials, not sure of the dates.

djlaosc

I know that there is UK free dining specials, not sure of the dates.

UK Free Dining is pretty much year round - 2 weeks off at Easter, and have to arrive by November 30th (which on a 3 week holiday will run out December 20th)

For 2016, it is for arrivals 1 January - 15 March 2016 & 3 April - 30 November, 2016. Must stay between 5-21 nights. However, arrive on 15 March for 2 weeks and get it till 28 March, 3 weeks takes you till April 4th. Arrive 30th November, and 3 weeks takes you till December 20th. So, the only time it is impossible to get free dining is December 21st-December 31st.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
UK Free Dining is pretty much year round - 2 weeks off at Easter, and have to arrive by November 30th (which on a 3 week holiday will run out December 20th)

For 2016, it is for arrivals 1 January - 15 March 2016 & 3 April - 30 November, 2016. Must stay between 5-21 nights. However, arrive on 15 March for 2 weeks and get it till 28 March, 3 weeks takes you till April 4th. Arrive 30th November, and 3 weeks takes you till December 20th. So, the only time it is impossible to get free dining is December 21st-December 31st.

So at current you're at $1.47 (closer to $1.48) to the dollar....and you get to eat free? Not fair.

tirian

@PhotoDave219
Thank you for keeping track of this! I suspect the refurbs at the MK, few E-tickets at Epcot, and few attractions at DHS contributed to the long queues. (Of course, I can't prove that.)

KikoKea

@PhotoDave219
Thank you for keeping track of this! I suspect the refurbs at the MK, few E-tickets at Epcot, and few attractions at DHS contributed to the long queues. (Of course, I can't prove that.)

I agree. On our last visit, we skipped AK altogether and spent only the morning at HS, spending the rest of that day at Epcot. Of the 4 parks, MK has much more to offer and we prefer to spend more time there. I'm curious to see how it shakes out during the construction at HS and AK in the coming years.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
@PhotoDave219

I'm sure it an affect but I cant see it being that much of an affect. It happens year after year.

Jon81uk

The other restriction of course is the booking window for free dining. Disney seem to be be trying to get us Brits to book earlier. On our last trip in 2010 we booked in early 2010 and got free dining. For our 2016 trip the booking period for the offer was May to September 2015, meaning I booked our trip 15 months in advance to get free dining and a free gift card. Currently there aren't many offers out for UK bookings, they are just offering two free nights on a 14 day trip.

Jon81uk

@PhotoDave219

Don't forget the only attraction that actually closed at DHS was Backlot tour. American Idol got replaced with Frozen show and Animation with Star Wars but the general attraction count only went down by one.
The main issue for repeat guests is that things didn't change and the shows at the park are old and stale.

maxime29

Premium Member
The other restriction of course is the booking window for free dining. Disney seem to be be trying to get us Brits to book earlier. On our last trip in 2010 we booked in early 2010 and got free dining. For our 2016 trip the booking period for the offer was May to September 2015, meaning I booked our trip 15 months in advance to get free dining and a free gift card. Currently there aren't many offers out for UK bookings, they are just offering two free nights on a 14 day trip.

On a related note, the free dining offer in the USA this year was posted almost a month earlier than in prior years. We were booking our December trip in April instead of May. Almost missed out on it if it wasn't for @Kingdom Konsultant and me just happening to search the forums. Reservations said they had fewer rooms available this time around for the promotion. I am guessing it sounds like they aren't putting much into the promotions anymore OR they are shifting the offers from USA to say UK, Latin America, etc..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom