Windows talk

lazyboy97o

You're correct. You have to remember the average consumer doesn't like complicated procedures and would prefer an easier one stop shop. Having an expanded app store for Microsoft will only be a boon.
That same sort of audience also wants what they already know.

Jahona

That same sort of audience also wants what they already know.

Yep fortunately or unfortunately I'm not part of this audience. That attitude honestly annoys me. If your not willing to try new things and to learn and grow then what is the point?

knowledge-is-power-power-corrupts-study-hard-be-evil-2.png

StarWarsGirl

If you want something that isn't a great tablet, and isn't a great laptop, and you want to pay a lot of money for it, the Surface is perfect for you.

(mind you, this is coming from someone who has owned 3 of them)
So as far as tablets go, which one would you recommend?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's funny you mention Disney; they have a pretty decent selection of apps on the Windows app store, at least for tablets. 29 to be exact. MDE and others are missing, but Disney, compared to other developers, made a decent amount of apps for Windows already.

But I do see your point.
MDE is the one I need. :)

It also holds true from pretty much every other company out there. When they make apps specific to their company you get and iOS and an Android version and that is it. On the rare chance that someone did make a Windows version, is was often skipped when it came time to update.

StarWarsGirl

A bit annoying that the Android version of MDE doesn't support tablets. I have to fetch the APK and side load it in order to use it.
I noticed that on my Android tablet too. Doesn't matter to me since I'l generally use my phone or iTouch for the app and since I generally don't take my tablets to the parks, but still annoying.

Difference between the RTs and the Surface 3: the site actually works on the Surface 3. Never wanted to pull up on the RT or would always give me the mobile version. No slower than usual.

Jahona

Microsoft has announced an update to the Surface line with a brand new device as well.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 1.53.15 PM copy.jpg

First up is the not exactly surprising update for the Surface Pro line. The new Surface Pro 4 has an updated Typecover that is supposed to be more responsive than the previous version. The Screen has the same resolution but with a denser pixel count. The Pro 4 also has a new and updated pen with replaceable nubs as well as greater pressure sensitivity. Over all it's a good update. Nothing major but it does seem to fix a lot of the small issues that the Pro 3 had.

Now for the big announcement. Microsoft will be releasing a new laptop but not a laptop. The Surface Book will have a 13.5 inch screen at a resolution of 3000x2000. Besides being a bit larger than the Pro 4 the basic Surface Books have similar specs. What sets the Surface Book apart is the higher end models will support discreet nVidia GPUs, although the spec sheet doesn't say exactly what the GPU is. On to the laptop part of the Surface Book. The screen has the ability to detach from the keyboard, like the Pro Models, and can be used separately like a normal tablet but with limited graphics performance. The conversion from laptop to tablet isn't as fluid as the Pro and could take a few times to get used to. It seems that the keyboard contains the discreet gpu as well as a few ports around the edges. The hinge is interesting as it will hold the screen at any angle let is easy to manipulate and move. The last thing noted is that the Surface Book is expected to have up to 12 hours of movie watching potential while on battery.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I never was a fan of touch screen integration into desktop operating systems, and I'm still not. Call me outdated, but I still want my real computer and phone/tablet to run different operating systems. I think Microsoft's approach to this has been rather rushed. First with the start screen in Windows 8/8.1 and now with Windows 10. I feel like Apple's approach with Mac OS X and iOS slowly becoming closer with every update was and still is the better strategy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I never was a fan of touch screen integration into desktop operating systems, and I'm still not. Call me outdated, but I still want my real computer and phone/tablet to run different operating systems. I think Microsoft's approach to this has been rather rushed. First with the start screen in Windows 8/8.1 and now with Windows 10. I feel like Apple's approach with Mac OS X and iOS slowly becoming closer with every update was and still is the better strategy.
It has its place. I don't find using or launching programs by touching my screen all that useful, but being able to draw on things on my screen is incredibly efficient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom