Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
What posts are you referring to? This is pretty much the most universally (no pun intended) praised thing I've ever seen on these forums. There are always a few "anti-Star Wars" types or "I wanted more!" types, but overall this has had a tremendous reaction.
I agree, but the ones who are complaining are being it down on this thread. Still, I'm definitely excited.

PhotoDave219

I'm sure those tunes have changed!

There are still many Anti-Avatar people around here....

Alas, there's a lot of selfishness amongst fans. People have their own ideas as to what makes a good park, land, and attraction. When those expectations or ideas arent met, they get rather upset. These are people who believe that their way is the only way.

Avatar looks great and DAK desperately needs the help and ROL night show.

DHS desperately needs Star Wars and TSL. They havent go into super detail and I'm fine with that.

sg1

Not sure if this factors into Disney's thinking at all, but if Star Wars land is taking place on a "new" planet that may be in Episodes 7-9, then it wouldn't be thematically appropriate to have Darth Vadar, Obi-Wan, Chewy, etc. meet and greets within it. So, maybe Star Tours and Tatooine Traders exists outside of Star Wars land to keep M&G potential for some of the Episode 4-6 characters?

And yes, I know Chewy is in Episode 7 at least.

jme

Here's some images of the Star Wars Disney-Visa cards that will grant you access to the exclusive "Imperial Meet N Greet" slated for Fall 2015 in DLR and Early 2016 in WDW
zM0LHdU.jpg

2YPaYuv.jpg

wxkJq1R.jpg

FrankLapidus

AND amazingly enough, Disney parks have done just fine without Star Wars and Avatar; the phenomenon of Frozen alone has proven that Disney doesn't need non-Disney-generated IPs. A Pride Lands area in AK, a Disney Villains attraction in DHS - these concepts would have been hailed by the public just as much if not more than StarWarsLand :p . But Iger has little faith in actual Disney creations. The budgets were cut for both Mermaid and Mine Train; that's how much he thinks of real Disney and the public's love for it.

Again, all this Star Wars stuff is great for the fans, and I agree that a park that celebrates that creation is a good idea. I just wish it was happening at Universal - if anything, it would very likely be better done. And certainly is a better fit there than it is for a Disney Park.

I really think you're underestimating the popularity of Star Wars, not for the first time either. I'd love a Pride Lands area or a Villains attraction but announcing those would not have gotten anywhere near the attention and publicity that anything to do with Star Wars has and will.

I really don't disagree with your overall argument, I have loved Disney, particularly animation and the parks, for as long as I can remember and I do agree that Disney doesn't need to buy IP's to fill the parks;I have zero interest in anything to do with Avatar and nothing will change that. But the relationship between Disney and Star Wars is not a new thing, its spanned decades and the creations of George Lucas, Star Wars and Indiana Jones, have inspired some of the most popular Disney attractions at their theme parks all around the world.

If I wasn't a Star Wars fan maybe I'd be more inclined to agree with you, maybe I'm biased. But considering Disney have a film-themed park in the midst of an identity crisis, a park that already has a very popular Star Wars attraction, and the biggest film franchise in history now completely at their disposal this really does seem about as much of a no-brainer as you could get. I don't see how it would be a better fit at Universal bearing in mind that this is the furthering of a relationship that has lasted nearly thirty years, you only have to look at the popularity of the Star Wars Weekends to see that the films and characters have become an indelible part of DHS in that time.

AdventureHasAName

Actually, the central themes of Avatar are a perfect fit for AK.

If Avatar fits AK, then so does Star Wars, Star Trek, Flash Gordon, etc. It simply doesn't. Any attempt to argue that it does inevitably turns the commentator into a pretzel and they wind up looking like this:

fark-d-012.png~original

You know what fits thematically in AK? Australia land. South America land. Oceanlife land. Even mythical Earth-based creatures land (Beastly Kingdom).

mergatroid

Not me. It's an intellectual property I don't care about placed in a park where it clashes with the theming and park-intent.

Fair enough but maybe you'll like it when it's complete? Do you not enjoy Universal Studios because Diagon Alley is there? Perhaps like Diagon Alley it will mainly only be noticed when you're actually in it. If the Star Tours building ruins your enjoyment of the Studios right now then fair enough and you'll more than likely hate Star Wars Land, if not then perhaps the new land won't be as intrusive as you are expecting?

juan

Not sure if this factors into Disney's thinking at all, but if Star Wars land is taking place on a "new" planet that may be in Episodes 7-9, then it wouldn't be thematically appropriate to have Darth Vadar, Obi-Wan, Chewy, etc. meet and greets within it. So, maybe Star Tours and Tatooine Traders exists outside of Star Wars land to keep M&G potential for some of the Episode 4-6 characters?

And yes, I know Chewy is in Episode 7 at least.
Well the story that they were building in the presentation is that the planet is new in the sense that it hasn't been in any of the movies, but that it has always been there as an outpost. This gives it more of a timeless aspect that can allow for things from the originals, prequels, and future movies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If Avatar fits AK, then so does Star Wars, Star Trek, Flash Gordon, etc. It simply doesn't. Any attempt to argue that it does inevitably turns the commentator into a pretzel and they wind up looking like this:

fark-d-012.png~original

You know what fits thematically in AK? Australia land. South America land. Oceanlife land. Even mythical Earth-based creatures land (Beastly Kingdom).

Avatar is about living in harmony with and respecting the natural world and the consequences of not doing so. None of the other movies you mention are about this.

sg1

Well the story that they were building in the presentation is that the planet is new in the sense that it hasn't been in any of the movies, but that it has always been there as an outpost. This gives it more of a timeless aspect that can allow for things from the originals, prequels, and future movies.
Ok, that makes sense then.

Monkee Girl

Not me. It's an intellectual property I don't care about placed in a park where it clashes with the theming and park-intent.

I agree with the fact that it is not an intellectual property that I care about. However, I can see how they fit it into Animal Kingdom (I think it's a better fit than Frozen in Norway...oh yea...I went there ;) ). My issue is that Animal Kingdom, itself, is not a park I care about. I have not set foot in it for 4 years and haven't missed it once. So Avatar is not something that is going to pull me away from my other interests to get me to the park.

I may go check it out to at least get my money's worth on the tickets I spend. But I don't see it being something I will connect with and want to keep going back to.

But for those who are really excited about it (Like I am for Star Wars), I hope you really enjoy it and love it. It's looks like Disney is really taking their time and putting a lot of effort into it and that's awesome.

Monkee Girl

Here's some images of the Star Wars Disney-Visa cards that will grant you access to the exclusive "Imperial Meet N Greet" slated for Fall 2015 in DLR and Early 2016 in WDW
zM0LHdU.jpg

2YPaYuv.jpg

wxkJq1R.jpg
Uh...still no Luke...he never gets any love. But I do like the droids. hmmm...may have to get this...lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom