'Season of the Force' seasonal event to debut at Disney's Hollywood Studios in early 2016

JohnD

Well, they said early 2016, at least in DL. I can see that. Keep the momentum going after the release of Ep VII.

Chernaboggles

I'll just be over here crossing my fingers that "early 2016" means February. I really, REALLY don't want to miss all this stuff by a couple weeks, we're already probably missing Rivers of Light, unless they do a soft open before March.

BrerJon

Sounds to me like they're replacing the only-at-weekends Star Wars Weekends with the Season of the Force, which will run for a couple of months, every day, like the Food and Wine or Flower and Garden Festivals at Epcot.

Every Star Wars Weekend this year was insanely busy, so it makes a lot of sense to spread out crowds, especially given there's so little to do in that park with all the closed attractions, it really can't handle everyone descending on it at once.

Plus you've got a new Star Wars destination and the Star Wars Blue Sky/meet-and-greet likely replacing the Animation area, so there's a larger permanent Star Wars presence to begin with, even before construction starts on the new land.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds to me like they're replacing the only-at-weekends Star Wars Weekends with the Season of the Force, which will run for a couple of months, every day, like the Food and Wine or Flower and Garden Festivals at Epcot.

Every Star Wars Weekend this year was insanely busy, so it makes a lot of sense to spread out crowds, especially given there's so little to do in that park with all the closed attractions, it really can't handle everyone descending on it at once.

Plus youv'e got a new Star Wars destination and the Star Wars Blue Sky/meet-and-greet likely replacing the Animation area, so there's a larger permanent Star Wars presence to begin with, even before construction starts on the new land.
The firework show is weekends only though - so it seems to me more like Star Wars Weekends in that regard.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm simply speculating but maybe they'll have a processional, a sing-a-long and some fireworks? I mean, that comes from the Tommy Staggs school of "throw something together in 10 days" :D
Don't forget a DJ Elliot dance party!

Seriously though, hopefully there is enough time to get things done properly this time around.

Kman101

Yeah, Frozen Summer Fun is pretty much a joke but really, what else would you want from it? We knock them for taking too long but then when they capitalize on a popular property we knock it for being rushed ... where's the middle ground? It's clearly not my thing but still ...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In the announcement they mention "building on" the Star Wars Weekend popularity or something like that. I got the impression this was in addition to SWW.

ToTBellHop

Don't forget a DJ Elliot dance party!

Seriously though, hopefully there is enough time to get things done properly this time around.
It's Star Wars--surely they know they can't phone this in. I think we will benefit from the fact that this is rolling out in California, too. I can't see Bob Iger tolerating a garbage special event showcasing perhaps the crowning achievement of his time as CEO (buying Lucas, although of course Marvel and Pixar are huge, too). He has been known to demand changes to offerings not up to his standards. Since it also premieres in his back yard, he's sure to actually see it for himself.

SirLink

I wouldn't be surprised if they did something of an Indy/Star Wars crossover like they did at a one time event a couple of years ago, to act as the sing-a-long component.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yeah, Frozen Summer Fun is pretty much a joke but really, what else would you want from it? We knock them for taking too long but then when they capitalize on a popular property we knock it for being rushed ... where's the middle ground? It's clearly not my thing but still ...

The middle ground is them planning and doing something the right way from the get go. Frozen Fun was an embarrassment - thrown together in a couple weeks, six months after the movie was released and became a worldwide phenomenon. Frozen promo entertainment should have been ready to go on the film's release date (like how they used to do it - parade, stage show, whatever), and if not then, shortly thereafter once it was realized the movie was an ungodly hit.

For WDW to have gone several months doing nothing about Frozen was borderline inexcusable. I am not one of those people who's tired of Frozen or thinks they've done too much - they haven't done enough and what they've done has been done very poorly (that includes Frozenstrom). Frozen Fun came back for round 2 and was barely improved - what did they do all year? And why don't they just start a Frozen parade in DHS? They could have premiered it this summer and had something to market. This stuff is a no-brainer and the park needs it desperately.

All that said, hopefully Season of the Force will be better prepared. There's no reason for it not to be since DHS has been holding Star Wars events for years and years.

Matt_Black

Frozen promo entertainment should have been ready to go on the film's release date (like how they used to do it - parade, stage show, whatever)

Except it's only been relatively recent since Disney Animation has been consistently churning out big hits like they were in "the good ol' days". In the 2000s, the films were either at best modest successes or outright disappointments (Home on the Range, looking at you).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom