Universal vs. Disney

Bairstow

I've always found the ride a bit underwhelming. The set-up for T-Rex can be seen 30 seconds in advance. The other dinosaurs have very poor appearance from the outside. The ride exterior itself is gorgeous, but once inside, eh. Sadly, Disney's dinos are much better looking.

What kills me is how slow the raptor figures are. Everything in that ride, other than the drop itself feels like it's underwater. Even if they lack the funds to make the figures themselves move faster, they really ought to have engineered a better way to do faster reveals for those things.

TalkingHead

The biggest problem with Ripsaw is the ride vehicles. They're awful to get into and out of. They give Rip Ride Rockit's trains a run for their money for being downright uncomfortable.

But the actually Ripsaw ride? I think it's highly underrated. The show scenes in Splash are superior, but as long as you're willing to get soaked I think Ripsaw is as fun. It's a lot better than Kali River, which is easily the worst water ride in Orlando.

squidward

The biggest problem with Ripsaw is the ride vehicles. They're awful to get into and out of. They give Rip Ride Rockit's trains a run for their money for being downright uncomfortable.

But the actually Ripsaw ride? I think it's highly underrated. The show scenes in Splash are superior, but as long as you're willing to get soaked I think Ripsaw is as fun. It's a lot better than Kali River, which is easily the worst water ride in Orlando.

Ripsaw is great fun. It just sucks on visuals.

I don't know if I'll ever ride HRRR again. Just rode it a couple weeks ago, and it was thoroughly painful. To an extent I think the trains themselves need to be seriously evaluated. I won't get too into details, but let's just say as a male, it is a painful ride.

Bairstow

Ripsaw is great fun. It just sucks on visuals.

I don't know if I'll ever ride HRRR again. Just rode it a couple weeks ago, and it was thoroughly painful. To an extent I think the trains themselves need to be seriously evaluated. I won't get too into details, but let's just say as a male, it is a painful ride.

Yeah, those Maurer Sohne restraints are just awful during the vertical lift.
I've ridden coasters with vertical lifts from Gerstlauer with both their over-the-shoulder restraints and the newer lap bars, and neither are as uncomfortable as Maurer's.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's a shame about Dr. Doom. Doesn't seem like there's any room for much else down that street. Can't see why they'd close it, especially being an icon of the park.

Ripsaw is really the biggest head-scratcher at the resort. You've got these amazing, detailed, immersive attractions. Then you have this hideously ugly ride (interior) from top to bottom. I can deal with the lame 2D effects, but the amount of empty space and lack of show scenes, is absolutely mind boggling.

If they can move some back stage buildings, removing Doom would open up a pretty good sized area.

Capture.JPG

UpAllNight

They could clear a massive area simply removing Cafe 4 as well (let's be honest it's hardly memorable). On top of that with the rumours Marvel want all references to the Xmen series gone too due to their war with 20th Century Fox, Storm Force could go and an absolutely huge area could be cleared.

Lynn Stephens

Thanks for the map Dan. You see that is plenty of room if Storm Force and Doom were moved for a rather massive attraction. I just don't think it will happen. I think Iger's final CEO move will be to bring Marvel 100% into the Disney family. Universal will NEED the room that Marvel has in IoA to keep expanding, even though it's a small space.

If Universal keeps doing what they are doing, and with profits soaring they will, both of their Orlando parks will be nothing but E-tickets. That makes me happy.

fosse76

At least the T-Rex room in JP has been fixed. Was the best I've ever seen on my last trip and from what I've read on OU it's been kept that way since. The rest of the ride definitely needs help though.
I didn't find that to be the case when I was there two weeks ago. The T-Rex was "finshed" before the boat crested the mini-lift into the drop. BUt I definitely agree that the ride needs some serious plussing.

Mike S

I didn't find that to be the case when I was there two weeks ago. The T-Rex was "finshed" before the boat crested the mini-lift into the drop. BUt I definitely agree that the ride needs some serious plussing.
It started resetting for the next boat before you dropped?

Jwhee

Thanks for the map Dan. You see that is plenty of room if Storm Force and Doom were moved for a rather massive attraction. I just don't think it will happen. I think Iger's final CEO move will be to bring Marvel 100% into the Disney family. Universal will NEED the room that Marvel has in IoA to keep expanding, even though it's a small space.

If Universal keeps doing what they are doing, and with profits soaring they will, both of their Orlando parks will be nothing but E-tickets. That makes me happy.

I think its going to happen. No reason for them to be giving the hulk a 100% overhaul if they don't plan on keeping marvel

Lynn Stephens

I think its going to happen. No reason for them to be giving the hulk a 100% overhaul if they don't plan on keeping marvel
In the minutia of the Marvel-Universal contract is a condition stating that Universal must keep the Marvel themed attractions in working order and always in a presentable state. (Not those words exactly but you get what I'm saying.) This is just Universal following through with their commitment.

Jwhee

In the minutia of the Marvel-Universal contract is a condition stating that Universal must keep the Marvel themed attractions in working order and always in a presentable state. (Not those words exactly but you get what I'm saying.) This is just Universal following through with their commitment.

The new Hulk will be based off of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Hulk was repainted not that long ago, so it has been maintained. It sounds like the update to Hulk is going beyond what would be required to meet the terms of the contract. There are also strong rumors of new Marvel attraction coming to IOA.

Lynn Stephens

Looking forward to hearing what that might be. Outside of the Spider-Man projector upgrade, the Marvel attractions are the same from opening day. It's been a while so something fresh would definitely help out.

captainmoch

I like the idea of a MCU/comic stylization blend. So, maybe making the world a bit more immersive by removing the giant characters, maybe adding more references to Marvel comics and the MCU to the building facades, retheming some of the restaurants/shops, dropping the pointless arcade, and updating some of the queues. So, character/set design wise, maybe a similar style to the current Spiderman art style, except blended with the MCU a bit?

JoeCamel

Looking forward to hearing what that might be. Outside of the Spider-Man projector upgrade, the Marvel attractions are the same from opening day. It's been a while so something fresh would definitely help out.

And boy have they held up well. Always fun to ride Hulk and Spidey

How long has Peter Pan been running at the MK without a significant upgrade?

Lynn Stephens

Spidey is always a must do and I think it is fair to argue it was Universals top attraction until Potter opened. It has been diminished by Transformers since Spidey is no longer a unique experience. Doom has not held up well and Storm Force is a platform spinner.

Pan has been running forever. The difference is this: Disney has the advantage of nostalgia to keep simple attractions alive and well, Universal has the disadvantage of people feeling nostalgic for 1999.

Tony Perkis

Spidey is always a must do and I think it is fair to argue it was Universals top attraction until Potter opened. It has been diminished by Transformers since Spidey is no longer a unique experience. Doom has not held up well and Storm Force is a platform spinner.

Pan has been running forever. The difference is this: Disney has the advantage of nostalgia to keep simple attractions alive and well, Universal has the disadvantage of people feeling nostalgic for 1999.
I'll never understand the nostalgia for Peter Pan. It's a blatantly racist movie with an unlikable lead character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom