DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Yes it is. $2.8B is DHS' portion of a larger ($3.3B?) approved budget.

I heard $3.5 but what's $200M between friends?

And yes @Ignohippo the $2.8 includes infrastructure.... Exactly what that means/entails, we're not sure. Likely a parking garage, likely some realignment of exit roads to Victory Way.... Likely the BVD entrance will be bus only.

NowInc

Its of no small coincidence that as soon as detailed news stopped coming here (due to NDAs and the like), that other sites have gone off the walls with their "OMG THIS IS WHATS COMING TO DIZNAY!" click bait posts. Love it :) When news can't be stolen from one place, simply make it up and enjoy the ad revenue.

UpAllNight

It's a sad state of affairs when you feel even a massive sum like $3.5billion probably won't solve half of the problems at the 4 parks. Still, it's very welcome investment (if confirmed). We can only hope it's spent wisely. For all the criticism of a Toy Story Playland if it will add 3 much needed attractions for a reasonable price; freeing up money for larger projects I don't think people could complain. I do however dread to read these forums if this is the first thing announced and only thing confirmed for now. I think the rumoured changes in the ride lineup to versions across the world would be an enhancement but I would worry very much about capacity in the use of such flat rides. It's horrific in Paris, and that doesn't draw the kind of crowds of Florida

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Its of no small coincidence that as soon as detailed news stopped coming here (due to NDAs and the like), that other sites have gone off the walls with their "OMG THIS IS WHATS COMING TO DIZNAY!" click bait posts. Love it :) When news can't be stolen from one place, simply make it up and enjoy the ad revenue.

That right there is the only reason why I made this thread..... An attempt to control some rumors.

ULPO46

I never understood what was wrong with Disneyland Paris. Economically it's the most visited place in all of Europe beating out Le Tour Eiffel. But yes there needs to be something done about attractions. But the current WDW does not want to make things happen. They think that because nearly 50 million people visit the resort each year, they are safe and have no need of adding more attractions. A mediocre ride wont be sufficient and even if you copied an MK, called it MK 2.0, the original will be still as crowded. To date I still wonder why MK gets more visitors than Disneyland. Possibly because of it's location compared to Anaheim, maybe. But the fact of the matter is, the models are just not working for what Disney I. wants to do. One of the largest reasons why it's taking for ever is because no one knows how to theme DHS something, rename it something new, and not have to rebrand the damn for saken hell hole and build it all over again in 2025. It is and hasn't been easy because the stereotype is that DHS is the adult park for it's two thrill rides to 2/3 rds of the foreign visitors. So they want to balance the adult meets kiddie park. IT'S NOT EASY! But in time I believe people will love the new, what ever we name the third park, whole day family park.

UpAllNight

@ULPO46 DLP problem is that it's built in the wrong country, in a culture that just doesn't 'do' Disney well. The weathers miserable, taking out a often unrecognised segment of the European population that won't pay a lot of money to go somewhere where sunshine isn't pretty much guaranteed. The 'Magic Kingdom' style park is gorgeous though.

Disney are investing in WDW just not at the rate fans want, or on things they desire. There's investment there though. I just long for the day where there are 4 great stand alone parks. Animal Kingdoms not far which is why this talk of them not receiving anything extra post Avatar is disappointing.

ULPO46

@ULPO46 DLP problem is that it's built in the wrong country, in a culture that just doesn't 'do' Disney well. The weathers miserable, taking out a often unrecognised segment of the European population that won't pay a lot of money to go somewhere where sunshine isn't pretty much guaranteed. The 'Magic Kingdom' style park is gorgeous though.

Disney are investing in WDW just not at the rate fans want, or on things they desire. There's investment there though. I just long for the day where there are 4 great stand alone parks. Animal Kingdoms not far which is why this talk of them not receiving anything extra post Avatar is disappointing.
Well Avatar land is expensive not to mention takes up a load of energy from the park so they don't want to have to projects going on at the same time. But regardless Employees hear the cries of the fans. But we can only do what the budget and corporate allots on budget.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I never understood what was wrong with Disneyland Padis.
Nothing.

The correct location for numerous reasons.
A lavish resort.
Amazing versions of attractions.

But it cost around 4 billion dollars for phase one and opened at the start of one of Europe's biggest recessions.

The park was a runaway success from day one - so much so extra capacity had to be fast tracked - but the debt from loans for the original 4 billion for the whole resort built up faster than profits could pay it off. The majority of recession hit Europeans couldn't justify staying in a resort nor staying in the park for more than a day, two at the most.

And now they've got the funds they are showing what refurbs should really be like.

DocAlan02

Nothing.

The correct location for numerous reasons.
A lavish resort.
Amazing versions of attractions.

But it cost around 4 billion dollars for phase one and opened at the start of one of Europe's biggest recessions.

The park was a runaway success from day one - so much so extra capacity had to be fast tracked - but the debt from loans for the original 4 billion for the whole resort built up faster than profits could pay it off. The majority of recession hit Europeans couldn't justify staying in a resort nor staying in the park for more than a day, two at the most.

And now they've got the funds they are showing what refurbs should really be like.

I was just there for the first time. It was certainly beautiful. Enjoyed their versions of the classics I know. The Disneyland Park felt a little cramped to me...a lot like Disneyland in CA. Studios looked great but seemed very small without a whole lot to do.

Had a chance to go there to open the park as a cast member back in the early 90s. Kind of regret that it didn't happen.

Lynn Stephens

Regardless, $2.8B vs $2.2B, that is a substantial amount of money to fix most problems. I want to comment on the DHS / DL discussion of which park should receive Star Wars first. DL has a huge attendance issue, too many people show up. In recent years new rules have restricted pass holders and each year they are breaking attendance records. DL doesn't need Star Wars right now, in fact, it would make things worse. DHS however, lowest attended WDW park. By installing Star Wars at DHS, even with a larger footprint than DL's SW, Disney would benefit from smaller crowds at MK while drawing back crowds from Universal.

There's my two cents.

BrerJon

You also get the double punch of WDW expanding so massively in the 90s and the USA becoming cheaper and cheaper for tourists to visit, that for those in search of a Disney fix the price difference between Paris and Orlando became narrower, which didn't help DLP's quest to get guests who wanted to spend a week or more at Disney parks. Many people said 'for not much more, we could go to Florida', while nobody, when offered the choice said 'I'd much rather go to DLP than WDW!'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom