Traditions/Training Hours

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
Hey yall. Had Onboarding on Monday... and Traditions is this Saturday. I know what time I need to be there, but how long does that particular day usually run?

Also, and I'm sure this will vary widely, so I am almost positive no one will be able to answer, but if any of you went through specialized training before you started in your new job (mine is cosmetology)... was training a standard 9-5 setup? Or how did yours personally work?

Wanting to start with a new Crossfit group down here this coming up Monday night, but not wanting to overcommit myself.

Appreciate it yall!

tashataylor

I just had my traditions yesterday it lasted 8:30-4:45. I am not sure about the specialized training, but they do give you your first 2-3 days training schedule at the end of traditions. Have fun!

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
Thanks so much!! I'm so excited about Saturday! Considering I've spent all week in a hotel room alone... I am beyond ready for Saturday to be here!

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
Yeah... I am a little worried about that. I have only packed my interview shoes, one paid of sandals, and one pair of running shoes. My interview shoes are flats, but they have a slight wedge to them. Just enough to remind me to correct my posture... but not pumps. I was planning on wearing my suit, as I have done up until this point, and just suck it up during the tour portion. My feet seemed to do *better* wearing a pair of nylons... so I am hoping those are my saving grace. How long was the tour you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 100

ratpatootie

I wore some on the fancier side flats to my Traditions, and when we got to the part where we went to the Magic Kingdom it rained and they gave me several blisters. It was bad. A fun day though!

Traditions lasts about 8 hours.

Your first days of "training" is gonna be a class or two. Idk where cosmetology fits in (is it part of operations?) but for attractions, I had to go to this horribly boring class called Welcome to Operations. It lasted from about 8-4. The second day was a tour of the park you're gonna be working at. At MK it's called Once Upon a Time is Now and you walk through the whole park and they point things out to you, and you ride the Haunted Mansion. Then they split us into work locations and I went off to Tomorrowland to ride rides and see the break rooms and stuff. It's similar at other parks. It was from 7am-4pm for me.

Idk about cosmetology but training for me in attractions took over a week. The hours were different every day, sometimes crazy early and other times really late. At the end we had to take an assessment which was a written test and then someone would watch us work all of the positions. After we passed that, we earned our ears.

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
I wore some on the fancier side flats to my Traditions, and when we got to the part where we went to the Magic Kingdom it rained and they gave me several blisters. It was bad. A fun day though!

Traditions lasts about 8 hours.

Your first days of "training" is gonna be a class or two. Idk where cosmetology fits in (is it part of operations?) but for attractions, I had to go to this horribly boring class called Welcome to Operations. It lasted from about 8-4. The second day was a tour of the park you're gonna be working at. At MK it's called Once Upon a Time is Now and you walk through the whole park and they point things out to you, and you ride the Haunted Mansion. Then they split us into work locations and I went off to Tomorrowland to ride rides and see the break rooms and stuff. It's similar at other parks. It was from 7am-4pm for me.

Idk about cosmetology but training for me in attractions took over a week. The hours were different every day, sometimes crazy early and other times really late. At the end we had to take an assessment which was a written test and then someone would watch us work all of the positions. After we passed that, we earned our ears.

When I applied it was under the "Parks and Operations" tab. When I did my business interview, it was in the casting center. When I did my technical, it was in the Costuming and Cosmetology Center off the back of AK, outside of Disney. I'm not sure if every park has a Cosmo area, or what yet. But, if I remember correctly, training is 8 weeks? Which makes sense, because even though I am dual licensed, and have wig experience, I've never spent 8 hours styling an intricate piece that has to be exactly the same every single time. Lol.

There is no other company that lets your ride rides on the clock ;D How fun!

I do hope it doesn't take me through the end of training to "Earn My Ears"... I thought that was at the end of Traditions? Man... I won't get mine for like 2 months. Lol. A small snippet in the grand scheme of life, I suppose. :)

ratpatootie

When I applied it was under the "Parks and Operations" tab. When I did my business interview, it was in the casting center. When I did my technical, it was in the Costuming and Cosmetology Center off the back of AK, outside of Disney. I'm not sure if every park has a Cosmo area, or what yet. But, if I remember correctly, training is 8 weeks? Which makes sense, because even though I am dual licensed, and have wig experience, I've never spent 8 hours styling an intricate piece that has to be exactly the same every single time. Lol.

I do hope it doesn't take me through the end of training to "Earn My Ears"... I thought that was at the end of Traditions? Man... I won't get mine for like 2 months. Lol. A small snippet in the grand scheme of life, I suppose. :)

Oh wow, 8 weeks! That's intense! But it makes sense for that kind of role. I think each park does have a cosmetology area, since every park has characters. I walk past the MK one every day and I love to peer in and see them combing the wigs haha.

HRHPrincessAriel

Just a couple more tips.

Wear comfortable shoes. As long as they are not flip flops or high heels, it's okay. They say no tennis or casual shoes, but it's fine.

There will be a portion to where you will be given a tour both back and front of the stage. Before you leave, they will ask you to bring anything you're not comfortable leaving in the traditions classrooms. I suggest you do not leave anything in this room. On my traditions, a girl in my group lost her very expensive cell phone, and it was really scary and I don't know if she found it or not. But she did say she left in the room when we left traditions. So do not leave anything in there. Take your purse with you, they will let you.

There are also going to be times where you will have coffee breaks and can mingle with the other participants throughout traditions. I suggest that you don't tell anybody anything you're not comfortable with, and if you are going to tell someone, don't lie. In addition, don't believe what people tell you. I was talking with one girl who said she was doing Hotel management, I was on the trams and she had a Custodial costume on. So she lied and said she had a more favorable position than she said.

Don't get nosy or don't take pictures, and don't joke around with the Traditions speakers.

Have fun. :)
Is there anything you like about your job? Everything you post seems to be so negative.

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
Hi! You'll be part of Welcome to Entertainment for your base training (at least they usually are) and the rest of your training will be backstage work. Since you'll likely be working at Creative Costuming (DAK), you won't actually have an earning your ears ribbon most likely. Those are for onstage cast learning.

Edit: Traditions is meant to be fun, not scary. You can joke around with your leaders, and you can make friends. Just ensure that you're wearing Disney look, you're ready to learn and all will go well. And the Traditions room here in FL is fully locked when you leave for your tour portion.

Yeah, I didn't know quite how to respond to the previous poster :oops: Lol. I have heard nothing but good about traditions... so I have a positive outlook! As far as attire goes, if anything, I have been overdressed from the beginning. Every time I have stepped foot in casting, or for my technical interview, I have been the only one wearing a full blown suit. Lol. I kind of felt out of place, but hey, I got my dream job! I won't be bringing a purse, just my phone on Do Not Disturb, and a folder with pens, paper, and legal documents. Will be easy to throw under my arm and leave anytime we need to :)

Thanks for your reply!

ShaynaLace

Original Poster
Just wanted to follow up after Traditions today! It was fantastic! The whole day was very light hearted, and we laughed from 8:45am to 4:30pm. I kept my phone on me, but when we went on the tour, I was not going to bother hauling the little stuff I brought with me, so we all just left our stuff in the room and they locked it. Everything was as it was when we got back. It was hot... 100* hot... and I wore a full blown suit, but we were in the utilidoors for at least half of it, so it was fine. Feet did fine even with the slight wedge in my business dress shoes. Cast members really are the greatest. Very happy group of people, and I really appreciated the warm welcomes from each individual! Lunch got cut a little short for some of us because we had IATSE come in so we could join the union, but we were fine! Lots of lifeguards in this class! It must be summer ;) If you used discretion, you could take pictures of certain... Highlights... but you just couldn't take a video. :) My next step is Training Day 1 on Monday: Welcome to Operations, and then Training Day 2 on Thursday: Styling Our World. Turns out Cosmetology DOES have a costume! Disney provides 5 costumes for my FT role... and I just need to find a semi-stylish (personal preference) pair of polishable surface Shoes for Crews. The shirt is just a white cosmetogy shirt, pants are black Disney pants, and I am going to try and find some long sleeve under armours to cover my tattoos so I don't have to cover them with makeup every day. All in all, the day was fantastic, and I officially work for the Mouse! Yay!!! :D

amurray2009

Hey Shayna, I was wandering if you were offered the minimum pay for your position or if they offered you a higher payout due to your professional experience?

Cderoche24

Man this thread is fantastic! I was just hired as a Stage Tech and had questions about Traditions and training but this answers just about all of them haha. I wish I could come sooner but I'm not coming down there until October 1st. Kind of excited for training actually. Sounds awesome.

amurray2009

Man this thread is fantastic! I was just hired as a Stage Tech and had questions about Traditions and training but this answers just about all of them haha. I wish I could come sooner but I'm not coming down there until October 1st. Kind of excited for training actually. Sounds awesome.
Do you remember how your interview/s went? What types of questions did they ask you? What answers did you provide and do you think they were what they were looking for? I am looking to apply but I'm not sure what the would ask in the interview process.

amurray2009

Just wanted to follow up after Traditions today! It was fantastic! The whole day was very light hearted, and we laughed from 8:45am to 4:30pm. I kept my phone on me, but when we went on the tour, I was not going to bother hauling the little stuff I brought with me, so we all just left our stuff in the room and they locked it. Everything was as it was when we got back. It was hot... 100* hot... and I wore a full blown suit, but we were in the utilidoors for at least half of it, so it was fine. Feet did fine even with the slight wedge in my business dress shoes. Cast members really are the greatest. Very happy group of people, and I really appreciated the warm welcomes from each individual! Lunch got cut a little short for some of us because we had IATSE come in so we could join the union, but we were fine! Lots of lifeguards in this class! It must be summer ;) If you used discretion, you could take pictures of certain... Highlights... but you just couldn't take a video. :) My next step is Training Day 1 on Monday: Welcome to Operations, and then Training Day 2 on Thursday: Styling Our World. Turns out Cosmetology DOES have a costume! Disney provides 5 costumes for my FT role... and I just need to find a semi-stylish (personal preference) pair of polishable surface Shoes for Crews. The shirt is just a white cosmetogy shirt, pants are black Disney pants, and I am going to try and find some long sleeve under armours to cover my tattoos so I don't have to cover them with makeup every day. All in all, the day was fantastic, and I officially work for the Mouse! Yay!!! :D
Hey Shayna, I was wandering if you were offered the minimum pay for your position or if they offered you a higher payout due to your professional experience? Also, do you remember how your interviews went? I have a friend in cosmetology who was thinking about applying sometime. She was wondering if you had to perform some haircuts/hairstyles in person or if they only questioned you?

Cderoche24

Do you remember how your interview/s went? What types of questions did they ask you? What answers did you provide and do you think they were what they were looking for? I am looking to apply but I'm not sure what the would ask in the interview process.
I private messaged you about this...

Michelle Menard

Hey yall. Had Onboarding on Monday... and Traditions is this Saturday. I know what time I need to be there, but how long does that particular day usually run?

Also, and I'm sure this will vary widely, so I am almost positive no one will be able to answer, but if any of you went through specialized training before you started in your new job (mine is cosmetology)... was training a standard 9-5 setup? Or how did yours personally work?

Wanting to start with a new Crossfit group down here this coming up Monday night, but not wanting to overcommit myself.

Appreciate it yall!

Hi Shayna. I see this forum is a couple of years old but I applied for a full time cosmetologist job at Disney. My phone interview is Monday morning. You mentioned that you had to do a technical interview. Can I asked what they wanted you to do? Haircut, updo??? Once you completed that, how long did you have to wait until you could start training? I'm coming from out of state and will be staying in a hotel and need to know what to bring. Thanks :) Oh and are you still working there...how do you like it??

cs0060

Question for you! When you were offered your role did you have to immediately get down to Disney and go through Traditions or were there dates for you to choose from?

Michelle Menard

I haven't heard back from them since my interview. It will be three weeks on Monday. My dashboard still says "in progress". So I'm not sure what to make of it or what to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom