Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

PhotoDave219

I think lots of people just don't understand construction. Look at all the people who talked about moving the BAH all over the place - then when it was demolished it was *obvious* it had to be smashed to bits and couldn't be moved.

Although the exception is stage productions and movies which are easy to move - 'Magic Journeys' moved from Epcot to Magic Kingdom - but that's a rare exception.

Exactly. It would take several hundred million dollars to move an attraction from park to park.

AEfx

Sadly, given the characters and storyline of Inside Out, Figment would not be needed. I could easily imagine children questioning his presence and wondering why Bing Bong is purple instead of pink.

I am neither a shareholder nor an imagineer, but I do not understand why a reimagined Imagination pavilion, with Figment, cannot coexist with a reimagined Wonders of Life pavilion. Previously, imagination and mind were parsed and coexisted.

There is a really good reason that WoL hasn't come back and why it's not going to. Folks will argue up and down that it isn't true, but I truly believe it to be the case - it's a combination of the "life" part being simply a difficult topic for a theme park and that "health" is such a fluid (and controversial at times - vegan vs. vegetarian vs. everyone else) space that unless you are ridiculously generic ("Eat your fruits and veggies to grow big and strong!") it just doesn't have much of a chance for educational impact. With the "life" part - I mean, "how a baby is made" was already getting dated when WoL opened - adoption, surrogates, artificial insemination, sex selection - I mean, it's just not a topic that a theme park attraction can cover.

There just isn't much of a "forward thinking Epcot" they could really do with it, either - unless they start talking about bionics, etc. and other topics that again - are pretty subjective (good or bad to genetically manipulate ourselves for example). And it would have to be constantly updated if it wasn't overly generic - I mean, we now know that the cholesterol in the food you eat has very little impact on your actual normalized cholesterol levels, yet that was considered solid scientific fact for decades.

It just was a bad idea to begin with, one that will never be resurrected. Again, I know that folks will vehemently disagree with me, likely with armchair imagineering. I could expand on the above points but I've really summed up the basics - the topic moves too fast and there is just such general disagreement on what in the end is a highly personal topic. That's really what it boils down to - nothing is really more personal than your health and the choices you make. And with so much variety in how folks live their lives these days, it just would be very difficult to make anything that would be well-received and not be rendered meaningless by having to be so incredibly generic.

There are much better uses of that space - I expect someday the place will be razed and a new pavillion will go there, with a different theme. Personally, I always liked the Weather idea. And hey, folks make fun of the "Weatherman" - because we all should be known by the first jobs we held, of course, LOL - maybe they can dedicate it to Iger. ;)

AEfx

That moved from California to Florida. Not from park to park.

Not to mention it was a very small attraction to move - and @marni1971 would know best, but didn't they just move the sets and not the entire turntable/etc.?

In any case, that's the one thing I could ever see them moving - to Epcot, which I wouldn't have a problem with - but anything else other than a film or a meet and greet? It's just not logistically or financially feasible.

Interestingly, buildings use to move all the time...my house (or, the original small building) was moved several lots down in the 1950's to where it is now, which was then added on to. About 20 years ago a local community moved a relatively small, 1 story historic building (which was mostly one large meeting room) about a mile away, and it cost them pretty much what it would have been to just rebuild.

PhotoDave219

Not to mention it was a very small attraction to move - and @marni1971 would know best, but didn't they just move the sets and not the entire turntable/etc.?

In any case, that's the one thing I could ever see them moving - to Epcot, which I wouldn't have a problem with - but anything else other than a film or a meet and greet? It's just not logistically or financially feasible.

Interestingly, buildings use to move all the time...my house (or, the original small building) was moved several lots down in the 1950's to where it is now, which was then added on to. About 20 years ago a local community moved a relatively small, 1 story historic building (which was mostly one large meeting room) about a mile away, and it cost them pretty much what it would have been to just rebuild.

But that's entirely different. You literally can pick up a historic house and move it.... For a crapton of money.

That's completely different than a theme park attraction that is built as part of a larger building and built specifically for that space.

SpaceMountain77

There is a really good reason that WoL hasn't come back and why it's not going to. Folks will argue up and down that it isn't true, but I truly believe it to be the case - it's a combination of the "life" part being simply a difficult topic for a theme park and that "health" is such a fluid (and controversial at times - vegan vs. vegetarian vs. everyone else) space that unless you are ridiculously generic ("Eat your fruits and veggies to grow big and strong!") it just doesn't have much of a chance for educational impact. With the "life" part - I mean, "how a baby is made" was already getting dated when WoL opened - adoption, surrogates, artificial insemination, sex selection - I mean, it's just not a topic that a theme park attraction can cover.

There just isn't much of a "forward thinking Epcot" they could really do with it, either - unless they start talking about bionics, etc. and other topics that again - are pretty subjective (good or bad to genetically manipulate ourselves for example). And it would have to be constantly updated if it wasn't overly generic - I mean, we now know that the cholesterol in the food you eat has very little impact on your actual normalized cholesterol levels, yet that was considered solid scientific fact for decades.

It just was a bad idea to begin with, one that will never be resurrected. Again, I know that folks will vehemently disagree with me, likely with armchair imagineering. I could expand on the above points but I've really summed up the basics - the topic moves too fast and there is just such general disagreement on what in the end is a highly personal topic. That's really what it boils down to - nothing is really more personal than your health and the choices you make. And with so much variety in how folks live their lives these days, it just would be very difficult to make anything that would be well-received and not be rendered meaningless by having to be so incredibly generic.

There are much better uses of that space - I expect someday the place will be razed and a new pavillion will go there, with a different theme. Personally, I always liked the Weather idea. And hey, folks make fun of the "Weatherman" - because we all should be known by the first jobs we held, of course, LOL - maybe they can dedicate it to Iger. ;)

Personally, I would love to see another astronomy, engineering, mathematics, or physics pavilion because Future World East, thematically, is more physical science while Future World West is biological science.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't understand why some still think Rohde is a rock star. That Yeti ride is an embarrassment. Now he's all into Avatar while his "baby" is still broken. Is he even trying to get it fixed?

Yes he has been trying to get it fixed, But he realizes that he can only protect his crown jewel (AK) if he is employed by TWDC, So he plays the game and stays employed. I think he'd like to do an epic rant like Tony Baxter but he's too clever to do so.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is he into Avatar because he had/has a genuine passion to bring it to the park or because he's been told that he has to be into it?

I seem to remember the early talk when it was announced was that Rohde was not involved in the decision to bring Avatar to DAK and was on board mainly because it represented the investment he'd been pushing for for "his" park.

Maybe I'm imagining it but thinking back I do recall talk along those lines, that Rohde was not particularly enthusiastic about Avatar.

No but he unlike all the other 'REAL' imagineers is good at playing politics, He's given an assignment, Says YES SIR, RIGHT AWAY SIR. and executes,

AEfx

Sometimes, yes. But they've also had projects with VERY workable budgets that they've blown on ridiculous expenditures. You hear stories about Joe Rohde's expense reports when when were doing EE...

I don't understand why some still think Rohde is a rock star. That Yeti ride is an embarrassment. Now he's all into Avatar while his "baby" is still broken. Is he even trying to get it fixed?

The most overrated person ever to work at the WDC. Bar none.

I never got his fan club, myself. He's apparently creative but he's the type that needs someone to reign him in because he gets lost in minutiae (which his fans mistake for his best feature) but ends up so deeply into it that he crashes and burns. Everest is the perfect example, but then again - so is AK in general - spent so much time on details that he forgot the details are supposed to be the spice to enhance the dish, not largely take over for the unfinished dish itself.

Oh yes, it's gorgeous, it's pretty - but the fact is, no matter how much you like walking around there, or how fascinated folks apaprently who have missed the fact that there are regional zoos across the country that offer much more animal variety and viewing who can spend hours staring at something at AK, it didn't give the public (or WDC) what they wanted which is why we are in the MM+ mess we are today (the myth that the Orlando market was "saturated" and that the only thing to do was to eek more cents out of the audience already coming).

Yes, that attraction was horribly under-budgeted. So much dead space before the lift-hill. No show scene at the track switch, so-so Yeti projection, and now broken Yeti. Oh, and where is the epic soundtrack? Don't just fix the Yeti, revamp the entire attraction. It needs it!

It wasn't under-budgeted, Rhode wasted the budget to make the queue "authentic" as he gallivanted across the world - and although folks will argue tooth and nail about it, I could have made that queue with $100K and a week driving up and down the eastern seaboard in a truck going to junk shops enough so that 99.5% of people would have never known the difference. So we end up with an almost empty building interior, a single non-working "Show Stopper" AA, and an OK coaster for a budget that should have bought a really spectacular ride.

But the queue is fabulous! ;)

Maybe I'm imagining it but thinking back I do recall talk along those lines, that Rohde was not particularly enthusiastic about Avatar.

I'm sure he was enthusiastic about the fact that they just haven't outright let him go after the failure of AK to meet it's goals of bringing more guests to Orlando, or the embarrassment known as EE, because they know his "hey man I'm cool and bohemian" kitsch plays well with the critics.

Brer Panther

Serious question tho: why do people think that attractions can be picked up and moved from park to park?

Well, I could understand why it'd be difficult to move, say, It's a Small World to EPCOT, but Monsters Inc. is a show. You just have to build a new theater for it like they did with Festival of the Lion King. Plus, they were able to move Magic Journeys.

AEfx

It is my understanding that we should take a closer look at Yavin 4... That planet / moon may be the bridge between the old trilogy and the new. Monumental architecture, cool landscape, and it plays a central role in the story of the past and future.

I haven't heard this but I really like the way you phrase that.....

There is a lot of that sort of thing going on right now. That's why spoilers aren't really spoilers because so much of what has been shared very well could be true, but only - "from a certain point of view..."

There is another classic planet that they are denying is a planet in the new film, but I'm pretty sure it is - given the Galactic upheaval in the past 30 years, just like in real life - I have a feeling it's a technicality, as countries (and presumably planets) are renamed with decent regularity so I don't see why it wouldn't be happening in the far, far, away Galaxy as well.

AEfx

But that's entirely different. You literally can pick up a historic house and move it.... For a crapton of money.

That's completely different than a theme park attraction that is built as part of a larger building and built specifically for that space.

Oh I know - that's why I was agreeing with you. :) It can be done, but it's pretty much as expensive (if not more so) than simply rebuilding it from scratch. ;)

doctornick

With regards to moving something like IASW to Epcot, I don't think people (in general, you can always find some outliers who believe crazy things) would think they more literally move the entire physical building. "Moving" IASW would mean building a new show building in the new location and simply moving the AAs and sets into the new facility. That wouldn't be cheap to do but would be someone more affordable than building a ride from scratch at the new location.

JimboJones123

With regards to moving something like IASW to Epcot, I don't think people (in general, you can always find some outliers who believe crazy things) would think they more literally move the entire physical building. "Moving" IASW would mean building a new show building in the new location and simply moving the AAs and sets into the new facility. That wouldn't be cheap to do but would be someone more affordable than building a ride from scratch at the new location.
If it already exists though, what is the point? Just wasting money to waste money? Isn't there already a $2 billion project doing that?

FutureCEO

Now that would be cool. Imagine a Disney-level Planetarium with Soarin' type tech. Not that I am the biggest fan of Soarin (and it seems we are already getting 2.0 with Avatar) but really...that could be one fascinating topic and is very EPCOT.

Imagine a world with people where we cut everything and kill all the animals until humans disappear because we didn't do anything about it. Ellen's Adventure 2.0

A revamped Ellen could actually work really well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom