Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I keep hoping that there will be a post on this thread saying "Disney bans selfie sticks and iPads. Anyone caught filming or photographing with a selfie stick or using an iPad to film parades/fireworks or general annoying other guests photography will have said device(s) confiscated. You can pick up your electronic device at Will Call when you leave the park. Oh, and we put a BIG note on your record so that when you touch your ticket card/MB to the turnstile, a CM will stop you and re-search your bags, since you've been tagged as an electronic device offender. Have a Magical Day!"

:D

englanddg

One Little Spark...
anK2x2E_460s.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I haven't ever seen one single person anywhere at any time using a "selfie stick". It must have some kind of regional popularity.
Have you watched any of the NCAA playoffs? Lots of people have had them with gopros (and, I mean team members) for after game celebrations.

NowInc

Expect some news on this soon ;)

The issue that has caused concern is not even the "rudeness", but the safety factor. It has been noticed and is being addressed... At least that is what I have been told. With the recent banning of these devices at a LOT of major events, its garnered enough attention that the powers that be decided to evaluate how to handle it.

I was told that 2 possible solutions are/were in discussion:

No ban, but restricted use (them being treated the same as a limb and if used inappropriately could warrant a guest being asked to leave). Using on a ride or during a parade the guest will be approached and if constant defiance of the cast members requests to stop, then it will be escalated to a higher level. This will of course be a nightmare for CMs and be almost impossible to enforce to its full extent.

or

Full on ban as it would be easier than enforcing a case by case basis, plus limiting confrontations between guests and CMs.

Keep in mind that with this (and why this info was presented to me in the first place) came a discussion as to maybe changing the policies of other devices such as mono/tripods. That may not make me happy, but fair is fair. I myself am very courteous to other guests in regard to tripod use, but sadly...many others aren't...the same goes for "selfie sticks". Will everything end up getting banned? Doubtful, but nothing is certain.

With a busy summer season ahead, I feel the decision will be made within the next month or so.

...I know there is the inevitable "Source?" post coming...and well..believe me or not. I am not about to get anyone I know who "knows" anything fired over a forum post.

habuma

Honestly, I have no idea. If its a blanket-ban on all types of support/extend devices, then I'd say those are out as well.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

I've taken a tripod to Disney, but have never actually used it because it was crowded and it would've been rude to pull it out and extend it on the occasions where I most needed it. I *always* carry a monopod with me and use it frequently, but keep it well within my personal space while doing so. I use the monopod as a stability device, not as an extension. But I reluctantly agree that there's little difference between a monopod and a selfie-stick.

The issue here is one of courtesy and respect to other guests. Sadly, courtesy and respect is in short supply these days and is hard to enforce. Therefore, the idiots with their selfie sticks are likely going to ruin it for those of us who courteously use monopods as monopods are intended.

I weep for society.

But, in my experience and opinion, I find the South American tour groups far more irritating and dangerous (yes, dangerous) than selfie-sticks. In addition to the well-documented chanting, I've seen children (including mine) knocked over and rails/chains jumped over while they are jumping places in line. So if there's going to be a blanket ban on support/extend devices for safety reasons, I propose a ban on South American tour groups on the same grounds.

All that said, I hope it's dealt with on a case-by-case basis so that those of us who are respectful of fellow Disney guests can continue using monopods (and tripods, so long as they don't invade other's space). A simple solution could be to handle it at the security checkpoints where the security officer considers that I'm not likely to extend my Nikon D7000 on the end of a monopod while riding Expedition Everest, but the fellow behind me with nothing but a selfie-stick and iPhone might do something a bit more concerning.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I can definitely see safety being the main reason you'll see a ban or a limitation of selfie sticks. People get all sorts of stupid when it comes to trying to take pictures of themselves, whether it be for a joke, for attention, for the memories, whatever. Now add a stick to the mix and you've got a perfect recipe for disaster.

Also:
Smithsonian banned them, as well as many other museums and art galleries around the world. So bans aren't entirely unheard of.

RMichael21

I have a very interesting story about selfie sticks at WDW. This was on my trip back in February. :D

So, we were waiting for Star Tours (we had a Fastpass) and were just about to merge. But, there was a bit of a line towards the end. We were waiting and all of a sudden, a boy (maybe 12 or 13 years old) extends his selfie stick into the fastpass line from the standby line and raising it nearly hitting me, my family and the other family next to us. I had no idea why his parents wouldn't say something about this. So, when we board, I'm happy to get away from this selfie obsessed kid, but he ends up in the row in front of us on the ride. Go figure. :p So, when we're waiting, the boy decides he wants to take another selfie in the loading dock. So, he extends it back through the group and up, almost hitting some people in the process. When we loaded the ride, the boy decided that it would be smart to take another selfie while the CM was doing her safety spiel. It was at this point that the boy retracted it and put it on the floor. Here's the problem, the parents never said anything. He was obviously with his parents and siblings but not one of them said anything. The parents have to teach this child how to have manners in public. If this boy had extended his selfie stick once and the parents told him not to do it inside, I would be fine. However, the boy's parents never said a word so the boy proceeded to take two more selfies inside the building.

I think the problem here is that our society is so technology central that we're constantly looking for ways to make out lives easier... even at the expense of others. In addition, I really think selfie sticks should be banned in all indoor environments. While the can be annoying outside, they're nowhere near as awful as they are inside rides, shows, queues, restaurants and shops that are indoors. Whether it's an indoor ban or an outright total ban (or anything), I hope Disney takes action to prevent injury or guests and to keep us happy while keeping the selfie sticks away. ;):)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have a very interesting story about selfie sticks at WDW. This was on my trip back in February. :D

So, we were waiting for Star Tours (we had a Fastpass) and were just about to merge. But, there was a bit of a line towards the end. We were waiting and all of a sudden, a boy (maybe 12 or 13 years old) extends his selfie stick into the fastpass line from the standby line and raising it nearly hitting me, my family and the other family next to us. I had no idea why his parents wouldn't say something about this. So, when we board, I'm happy to get away from this selfie obsessed kid, but he ends up in the row in front of us on the ride. Go figure. :p So, when we're waiting, the boy decides he wants to take another selfie in the loading dock. So, he extends it back through the group and up, almost hitting some people in the process. When we loaded the ride, the boy decided that it would be smart to take another selfie while the CM was doing her safety spiel. It was at this point that the boy retracted it and put it on the floor. Here's the problem, the parents never said anything. He was obviously with his parents and siblings but not one of them said anything. The parents have to teach this child how to have manners in public. If this boy had extended his selfie stick once and the parents told him not to do it inside, I would be fine. However, the boy's parents never said a word so the boy proceeded to take two more selfies inside the building.

I think the problem here is that our society is so technology central that we're constantly looking for ways to make out lives easier... even at the expense of others. In addition, I really think selfie sticks should be banned in all indoor environments. While the can be annoying outside, they're nowhere near as awful as they are inside rides, shows, queues, restaurants and shops that are indoors. Whether it's an indoor ban or an outright total ban (or anything), I hope Disney takes action to prevent injury or guests and to keep us happy while keeping the selfie sticks away. ;):)

I would have taken the opportunity at the first offense to impart some wisdom in that young boy's head - "young man, you nearly hit me in the head with that thing. This is a crowded line and if you cannot watch what you are doing, you need to put it away" in my best matured female, scolding mother voice. While I glared at his parents. And if he did it a second time, that's when I tell a CM to take care of it. I don't have a problem imparting wisdom in other parents' children, especially if they aren't. My mother's generation did it - my mother wasn't the only one to tell me to stop what I was doing. Trust me, I wasn't fast enough to beat the phone call home reporting on my misbehavior and I'd already been lectured by my friend's mom. And then I got it when I got home.

habuma

I think the problem here is that our society is so technology central that we're constantly looking for ways to make out lives easier... even at the expense of others.

I do not disagree with your assessment at all. And I *do* hate selfie-sticks.

But take away the selfie stick and any form of technology and I'll wager that the young man may have had a low-tech form of disregard for anyone else. The problem in your story, as I see it, is that the parents didn't say or do anything. I love kids (have a couple of my own), but I get really frustrated with parents who don't put any sort of boundaries on their kids' behavior. Had these parents addressed the child in the matter, I'll bet the selfie-stick wouldn't have been a problem past the first time. And had they attempted to teach their children how to be courteous before ever going to Disney, you wouldn't have had a story to tell.

Disney730

I have always thought those things were ridiculous. And laughed/rolled my eyes/shook my head whenever a friend pulled out the their selfie stick. But on a recent trip to Amsterdam with my boyfriend, every picture we tried to take together with a cathedral or bridges in the background came out awful! He actually suggested maybe we should get one and keep it in my bag and only use it on such occasions. I just don't think I can bring myself to actually buy one or if I did, actually take it out and use it, lol.

I know I could just ask someone to take our picture but it's partly I hate to bother people and partly I don't love the idea of handing over my iPhone or my $1200 DSLR (not as much in Disney but more randomly on the street somewhere). I of course always get asked to take photos for people and don't mind at all. Also telling them to move to get the best shot and waiting to they check to the picture to make sure they don't want another one taken. Once in Hollywood Studios I was taking a family photo for my cousin with my DSLR and someone came by and asked if I wouldn mind taking a quick one of their family as well. They waited till I was done and I took their picture. Then I looked to the side and there was a line forming! People thought I was the CM, I felt bad and took as many photos as I could until my family got impatient and told the remaining people I was not a CM! lol although I still hate to bother people and ask them to snap a quick pic for me, lol. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom