Carousel of Progress refurb?

jasonfresta

I think changing the final scene to the 60's could be a good idea. The ride would then show how technology changed the American family over the course of Walt Disney's life (1901 to 1966).
...but will younger kids be interested in an attraction that showcases an era that has nothing to do with them?
if you want to teach them about the evolution of progress...don't you feel that they need something to look forward to? ESPECIALLY if it's in Tomorrowland?

...might as well move it to Frontierland.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
...but will younger kids be interested in an attraction that showcases an era that has nothing to do with them?
if you want to teach them about the evolution of progress...don't you feel that they need something to look forward to? ESPECIALLY if it's in Tomorrowland?

The point of this attraction is not to show the future. It is to show progress made over the last century or so.

jasonfresta

The point of this attraction is not to show the future. It is to show progress made over the last century or so.
but it's not the original attraction anymore. hasn't been since it left the World's Fair and opened up in Disneyland. the final scene left off in the 60s which many argue is why it closed in '73..it was dated.. and that was before the trend of 'nostalgia'. they put it in Tomorrowland and people wanted to see the future....GE bailed and it disappeared.
like i said in an earlier post... ideas and technology made enormous strides in the first 50 years of the 20th century... the second half was just taking great ideas and perfecting them. portable phones, worldwide communication, vehicles, air travel, etc.
leaving it to end in the 60s would be like saying.. "well... this is what your parents and grandparents remember...have a good day"
a final scene saying..."look at how far THEY came from horses and radios... now look what you guys have in store for YOUR future." that is what Carousel of Progress really needs to be about. otherwise you might as well just let the lines dwindle down to nothing as the ride falls apart.

i should make it clear....Carousel of Progress is my absolute favorite attraction in any theme park anywhere.

Goofyernmost

...might as well move it to Frontierland.
Probably, but who's fault will it be when they grow up feeling that everything that came before them has nothing to do with them and what they have today. How do they measure if they are advancing or if what went before them were significant to their life at this point. And that's not to mention that kids, when given the proper direction will indeed enjoy seeing things like that. They, unlike many adults, have a built in desire to learn about things. Just because we adults have become jaded and embittered does not mean that we should pass along that attitude.

The Duck

As much as I love the COP, maybe it's time to put it out of it's misery.
I would love to see it get the attention that it deserves but with each passing year, it seems to be less and less relevant to all but a small group of hardcore fans.
Sometimes, it's best to see a beloved attraction go away completely than to watch it slowly die. I would rather have fond memories than to see it as it is today.

jasonfresta

Probably, but who's fault will it be when they grow up feeling that everything that came before them has nothing to do with them and what they have today. How do they measure if they are advancing or if what went before them were significant to their life at this point. And that's not to mention that kids, when given the proper direction will indeed enjoy seeing things like that. They, unlike many adults, have a built in desire to learn about things. Just because we adults have become jaded and embittered does not mean that we should pass along that attitude.
well..just watch an old video on youtube of Journey to Imagination if you want to see what Disney thinks about the attention span of modern children. it went from a whimsical adventure through bizarro world with tons of animatronics and magic....to purple painted cut outs and fart smells.
yes.. ideally children will care about watching the progress of the generations before them....but realistically.. it's just not the case widespread.

Goofyernmost

As much as I love the COP, maybe it's time to put it out of it's misery.
I would love to see it get the attention that it deserves but with each passing year, it seems to be less and less relevant to all but a small group of hardcore fans.
Sometimes, it's best to see a beloved attraction go away completely than to watch it slowly die. I would rather have fond memories than to see it as it is today.
Actually, I was there last Wednesday and it looks pretty good or at least better then I have seen it in quite a while. I am hopeful that things are changing in WDW and that they finally are taking their responsibilities seriously.

Goofyernmost

well..just watch an old video on youtube of Journey to Imagination if you want to see what Disney thinks about the attention span of modern children. it went from a whimsical adventure through bizarro world with tons of animatronics and magic....to purple painted cut outs and fart smells.
yes.. ideally children will care about watching the progress of the generations before them....but realistically.. it's just not the case widespread.
Do they make up their own minds about that or is it adults that have decided that they have to dumb down things because they don't recognize the ability of children to have interest and understanding and if something is done in an entertaining way, it will indeed be of interest to them. Especially if the adults that influence them the most get their collective heads out of their butts and understand the importance themselves.

Last edited:

jasonfresta

yeah i don't think the physical condition of the ride is really a problem. we're there about 5 or 6 times a year and sit through it several times a trip... the only times the ride stops is when somebody feels the need to get up and leave 2 scenes in. i haven't actually seen any technical issues.

...does it drive anyone else absolute nuts that the big cutout logo in the first sit down scene is slightly crooked by maybe a half inch? i just wanna... ya know... get up and straighten it out. lol

jasonfresta

Do they make up their own minds about that or it is adults that have decided that they have to dumb down things because they don't recognize the ability of children to have interest and understanding and if something is done in an entertaining way, it will indeed be of interest to them. Especially if the adults that influence them the most get their collective heads out of their butts and understand the importance themselves.
yeah well that's the million dollar question... but something that will never be easily addressed. when I first went to Disney when i was 6 (in 1986)... we waited on line.. i stood... and waited.. and stood...and waited...

now...try to find a 6 year old NOT in a stroller playing a Wii U...they need a constant stimulation bombardment at all times or they become restless and cause a scene. is it the kids? probably not.. it's the parents. but you can't tell a parent that they're doing anything wrong. so society will have to change around us to appease the new generational mind. things need to be now now now. there are good parents.. and there are crappy parents. that's just the way it is.

Goofyernmost

yeah well that's the million dollar question... but something that will never be easily addressed. when I first went to Disney when i was 6 (in 1986)... we waited on line.. i stood... and waited.. and stood...and waited...

now...try to find a 6 year old NOT in a stroller playing a Wii U...they need a constant stimulation bombardment at all times or they become restless and cause a scene. is it the kids? probably not.. it's the parents. but you can't tell a parent that they're doing anything wrong. so society will have to change around us to appease the new generational mind. things need to be now now now. there are good parents.. and there are crappy parents. that's just the way it is.
It may take a generation to realize the mistakes of this generation, but it will happen. In the meantime I have no intention of giving up the fight. I think that there are many advances that have come about in recent times that can help that situation. I play Trivia Crack with my grandson on our smartphones. He is amazed at how little he knows that isn't related to sports. He is learning, even though he doesn't know it and gets better at some of the questions as time goes on. He wants to know, because he wants to know. But, he didn't know he wanted to until we discovered that game. There is still hope for the future.

I have no problem with entertaining things while standing in line with the exception of the fact that they do not learn anything about socializing unless it involves pushing buttons. When my kids were little, nothing like that existed and they were forced to interact with their fellow human beings. They may have whined about it, but they learned even though they didn't know that is what was happening.

The Duck

Actually, I was there last Wednesday and it looks pretty good or at least better then I have seen it in quite a while. I am hopeful that things are changing in WDW and that they finally are taking their responsibilities seriously.
I wasn't specifically commenting on the mechanics of the attraction (although, that can be quirky at times). For the most part, I'm concerned with the lack of interest in updating the finale.
IMHO, it seems like they would rather allow it to stagnate than fix the problem and the problem gets more embarrassing each and every year.

jasonfresta

I wasn't specifically commenting on the mechanics of the attraction (although, that can be quirky at times). For the most part, I'm concerned with the lack of interest in updating the finale.
IMHO, it seems like they would rather allow it to stagnate than fix the problem and the problem gets more embarrassing each and every year.
one thing i think is actually funny.. is not the reference to "laser discs" and "high def TVs"....
it's that those things are rather far apart on a consumer level. there is a slight overlap...but one was coming to the end of it's life as the other was just arriving. lol

jasonfresta

if you really think about it... the last scene doesn't reflect the 90s at all..
-we didn't have a consumer available virtual reality game...still dont! bastards!
-we didn't have appliances with voice recognition...although a few years ago with the Xbox Kinnect.. I can now talk to my netflix or navigate my xbox menu.
-car phones were around for a little while
-HDTVs started taking off around 99-01....but didn't become common until a few years later
-laserdiscs were almost unheard of even during their life span.. ('78-2000ish)
-tucking your pants into your socks...well...that was stupid.. but it was the '80s.
-that laptop is a 2004-2006 model
-the room decor is the only thing that is mid 90s modern style.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
-we didn't have a consumer available virtual reality game...still dont! bastards!

yes there was...it was called Virtual Boy. :p

new_nintendo_3ds-2640957.jpg

Goofyernmost

They cannot update it without it either creating to large a gap between the existing eras and what is projected for the future. That's the first problem. The second problem is that no matter how high paid one is as an imagineer, there is no way, in this day and age to be able to predict the future and get it in place before it has become history. The world and technology are moving faster then we can sometimes physically keep up with it. It is much better to leave it as a tribute to Walt Disney and a peak at the past for the many that have no idea what things were like in the last century. That gives it 85 more years of relevancy and by then we will be lucky if the world still exists in any form. I know I won't, so it will be someone else's problem at that point.

I'm not sure why you think it is embarrassing. The whole show is to show the history of progress and only a small part of it was even hinting at the future and that was done in a time when that was possible. It isn't anymore. Logic tells one that they will never do anything about that sort of update. What would they use for the final scene? The best we can hope for is that they upgrade it physically and promote it as the history that it is and just let it go. We can let Star Wars direct us to the future.

Remember in one of the first scenes the statement is made that "things can't get any better then they are right now". That means that for those that lived in them, that was as good as they expected it to get and couldn't really comprehend how it could get better... we still can't!

jasonfresta

personally i'd have absolutely no problem with a huge gap in time between scene 3 and 4. it's the Carousel of Progress... not the Evenly Spaced Out Timeline of Progress! lol

can you actually name any world altering INVENTIONS besides the home computer and the internet that would require an entire new scene to display? these have to be on par with the electric light bulb...indoor plumbing...automobiles...what else....the fuse box. lol...the daily commute...

"we've got this new thing...the internet! have you heard of this? more 'adult themed media' than anyone can imagine! and my god...argue with your friends and family about the stupidest garbage!! things just can't get any better than this!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom