Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Phicinfan

In regards to your bold statement...if Disney didn't have Japan, and they made a cartoon about Tokyo, you'd be fine with it being in China? You must because you because it fits your definition of "any orient experience"

Should they replace "Reflections of China" with "Reflections of the Vietnam War"? Because again, like you say...it's all orient.

That's so disrespectful to other nations and their respective history.

There is no excuse for Aladdin being in Morocco. None. However you're comparing apples to oranges. Two characters that have no dedicated platform meeting guests sporadically does not take away the historical aspects of Morocco to the extent that Frozen takes away Norway.

If they made Morocco into Argaba, even you claim you'd have an issue with it. Well, Disney is turning Norway into Arendelle, so you should have a problem with it as well.
Okay I think you are comparing apples to oranges as well. No, you would NOT change Reflections of China to Reflections of Vietnam. However, I don't think having a character M&G of say Mulan in any Asian descent world that was available rates that type of radical change. Again, my opinion.

Last I heard, they changed the RIDE in Norway to Frozen, and are adding a frozen M&G near Norway pavilion but not attached. So how are they taking completely away Norway?

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Yes, I thought we had already agreed that BEST place for Frozen ride would be MK or DHS.

I think we also agreed that putting it in Norway was a stretch. And cost may have been the driver, to be able to act quickly.

My Mulan statement was in response to something before, if China had not been a site there, you could fit in in any "orient" experience. No I don't think anyone would mind.

I don't see Morocco being upset with Aladdin being there.....
Mulan in Japan? I am sorry but that is pretty bad.....(The setting for Mulan is explicitly stated as China). That is borderline racist in my opinion.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay I think you are comparing apples to oranges as well. No, you would NOT change Reflections of China to Reflections of Vietnam. However, I don't think having a character M&G of say Mulan in any Asian descent world that was available rates that type of radical change. Again, my opinion.

Last I heard, they changed the RIDE in Norway to Frozen, and are adding a frozen M&G near Norway pavilion but not attached. So how are they taking completely away Norway?
Have you ever been to the Norway pavilion?

It was already small as it is. And has now become basically a princess pavilion.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall converted in 2005 to Princess Dining 3 meals a day
A Frozen exhibit took over the Stave Church in 2014, which is a rendition of a famous medieval church structure in Norway.
A Frozen meet and greet is attached to the Norway pavilion in 2016
A Frozen attraction replaces Maelstrom, which depicted Norwegian folklore and history.The ride is also rumored to remove the Norway film after the ride to account for capacity.
And when you have a Frozen ride, you're going to have a Frozen giftshop, so there goes the giftshop too.

I mean what is left?

ULPO46

If i do say so myself it kind of looks disgusting. I kind of miss the old Norway feeling. Sure the movie was outdated, but it felt nice, the smell of the fine perfumes and nice Norge lotions was always a nice escape from the summer heat. What is next, France being redone?

Phicinfan

Have you ever been to the Norway pavilion?

It was already small as it is. And has now become basically a princess pavilion.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall converted in 2005 to Princess Dining 3 meals a day
A Frozen exhibit took over the Stave Church in 2014, which is a rendition of a famous medieval church structure in Norway.
A Frozen meet and greet is attached to the Norway pavilion in 2016
A Frozen attraction replaces Maelstrom, which depicted Norwegian folklore and history.The ride is also rumored to remove the Norway film after the ride to account for capacity.
And when you have a Frozen ride, you're going to have a Frozen giftshop, so there goes the giftshop too.

I mean what is left?
Was there last summer. I guess my expectation is once the new M&G and ride that the things in Akershus and Stave Church will be gone. As for the Frozen Giftshop and such, I figure that goes to the M&G not attached.

Joseph Szarmach

As the father of a Frozen obsessed 7 year old, I like the idea. Just wish it was in the new Fantasyland instead. The new Fantasyland is an abomination and totally lacks imagination. I'm still scratching my head. What's with the old Dumbo area with nothing but a huge decorative wall? They should call them "Lack-of-Imaginationeers". I'm looking forward to the new Frozen experience. The fact that the same people may be engineering it concerns me.

DisDan

ohhh good afternoon everyone, I see this discussion is moving right along. Let's sum it up shall we, Disney decided to build a Frozen attraction in WS at the Norway pavilion. Now, we can argue back and forth on whether the move is good or bad. But one thing I think we can ALL agree on, of ALL the pavilions in WS Norway is the only one where Frozen kinda fits right? I guess this is where I stand.

spacemt354

Chili's
Was there last summer. I guess my expectation is once the new M&G and ride that the things in Akershus and Stave Church will be gone. As for the Frozen Giftshop and such, I figure that goes to the M&G not attached.
Highly unlikely. Frozen is going to have a big impact on the pavilion today. Basically shunning anything to do with the actual country, and that's sad.
But one thing I think we can ALL agree on, of ALL the pavilions in WS Norway is the only one where Frozen kinda fits right?
Nope the correct answer is "None of the above"

And actually, it's really not worth anyone's time anymore. You're not going to see any other perspective and neither am I.

Oriolesmagic

Hypothetically, if Disney were to go ahead with the Frozen-themed ride BUT keep the Spirit of Norway movie, would you be happier?

Or do you fall on the side of, if they're going to change it to Frozen, they might as well change the whole thing?

DisDan

Highly unlikely. Frozen is going to have a big impact on the pavilion today. Basically shunning anything to do with the actual country, and that's sad.

Nope the correct answer is "None of the above"

Well that's not exactly a choice at this point, but getting you to admit that Norway is the only WS pavilion where Frozen fits (given Disney has already decided the attraction was going in at EPCOT) is probably like pulling teeth at this point.

spacemt354

Chili's
Well that's not exactly a choice at this point, but getting you to admit that Norway is the only WS pavilion where Frozen fits (given Disney has already decided the attraction was going in at EPCOT) is probably like pulling teeth at this point.
Pulling teeth implies that you're right...

But in reality, you're just not...and it's really not worth my time anymore.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Y
My Mulan statement was in response to something before, if China had not been a site there, you could fit in in any "orient" experience. No I don't think anyone would mind.
I don't think you know anyone from Japan or China or if you do, you've never asked them what they thought of China or Japan. You're talking about putting a Lynryd Skynrd area in the Yankee section of the Civil War museum.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If i do say so myself it kind of looks disgusting. I kind of miss the old Norway feeling. Sure the movie was outdated, but it felt nice, the smell of the fine perfumes and nice Norge lotions was always a nice escape from the summer heat. What is next, France being redone?
For the moment I think they're sticking with the rumored Quasimodo croissant eating contest.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
From a much less visited thread, an idea that I still love -

I had an idea that came to me (as many of my great research ideas) in a shower I took immediately after my initial post in this thread. Here's an idea that is so simple, would be so easy to execute, and would make WS a whole lot of fun (at least for me). What if we ditched Disney characters in WS all together and had real historical personages around and about? You know, quite of few of the countries in question have had real princesses. Then, as I processed this idea, I realized why stop at meet and greets and princesses? What if you had all kinds of historical personages about? What if you could meet an emperor of the Ming dynasty in his throne in China? What if he was in some over the top, crazy, historically accurate garb? That would be a cool photo stop. What if Confucius was occasionally out and about spewing wisdom? What if two actors were re-enacting part of the Lincoln, Douglas debate when you walked by the American adventure? What if ninjas were crawling around Japan at night and if they successfully snuck up on you, your kid got a sticker that said, "the ninja got me" and if you saw the ninja approaching your kid got a sticker that said, "I beat a ninja at WDW". If it was legal, you could have royal family look a likes in England (a lot of people would LOVE this even though I would tend to skip it). The list of stuff you could do with this is endless and I have to stop typing because I need to get to work.

I should note that I can see Disney cartoon stuff pretty much anywhere else I want to on property. I should also note that the day Disney does any kind of Disney cartoon animated overlay in Japan would be the day that I would think they've gone completely rudderless creativity wise.

Cesar R M

Well I wouldn't say it's not educational at all. world showcase does have its educational values. But I agree it's not obviously a museum with loads of infoation and knowledge or something.

However that said Frozen has no right in Norway. Only if Elsa and Olaf take you on a magical journey around Norway and show you it's history and culture, will this ride make sense. I really am trying to let it go, but I can't until I know forsure what is going in in that space. I fear it's going to be a fantasyland dark ride which could be easily moved to the Magic Kingdom, featuring highlights from the movie.....just the thought makes me sick!
Its amazing how people sitll dont get the world showcase despite its name.
Its the SHOWCASE of nations around the world.
Hence again why Arendelle and Frozen do not belong there.
Now.. if Frozen was actually set in norway in a real place and the story was really part of the culture...

H2O_Mouse-Ears

ohhh good afternoon everyone, I see this discussion is moving right along. Let's sum it up shall we, Disney decided to build a Frozen attraction in WS at the Norway pavilion. Now, we can argue back and forth on whether the move is good or bad. But one thing I think we can ALL agree on, of ALL the pavilions in WS Norway is the only one where Frozen kinda fits right? I guess this is where I stand.
Then let the transformation into MK Fantasyland begin. (*Trumpet Royal Entrance Fanfare*)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! I hear all the universities and museums are closing, now that the very CORE of intellectual depth and artistic integrity don't mean anything anymore! And why no? If the intellectual integrity of a Theme park like EPCOT isn't sacred, does anything have meaning?

So true! No one wants to better themselves anymore, they just want to sit on the couch and eat Cheetos. All because of a Frozen ride.

And to think- the downfall of intellectual depth and bettering oneself all starting with building a Frozen ride where someone people thought it didn't belong. And I was there, when the downfall began. Oh, the humanity.
KnkJkpk.gif

Cesar R M

you're again.. trying way too hard to skew and make all arguments favour your opinion. o_O

DisDan

Then let the transformation into MK Fantasyland begin.

I think that is going to happen whether we want it or not.... I also think it will work in Disney's favor, that is, people will flock to Epcot for this attraction, and probably prompt them to do more stuff like this to Epcot. So yea, it is a depressing time for anyone who loved what EPCOT Center used to be. Tragic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom