Tipping is this fair ?

Kit83

Original Poster
I don't really want to reopen this controversial topic but I would like to know what you think of how we plan to tip at WDW . I'am happy to tip the normal amounts for bags valet parking bar staff etc but when it comes to tipping in restaurants I have come up with this for a family of four eating (3 course) at a signature restaurant.

We will gave between 15 and 25 dollars depending on service, top end if they exceed our expected level of service bottom if its a normal level . If service is poor too slow rude etc we will not pay any tip and will make a formal complaint after first taking the matter up with the waiter .

We will not pay any extra for wine service unless they show expertise and then not a % (I've worked in the wine trade for 30 years ) but then only around $10 regardless of the wine cost . Wine sales in restaurants are a massive profit earner so we will not pay a % on already very inflated prices .

This is based on a 3 course meal for 4 with wine, cheaper meals we will pay 15 to 20 % of the food cost less tax and wine but that % will not exceed the 15 to 25 $ its no more work to serve more expensive food .

Florida minimum tipped wage is $4.91 assuming each waiter is tipped 15 $ per table and they serve 3 tables per hour for 6 hours inc lunch and dinner on a 8 hour day they should earn around $310 a day five days a week 48 weeks a year not bad even after tax .

It's all much easier here in europe service is always included. I often add to the bill if service is very good but I have also had the service charge removed if it was poor. I'not suggesting the USA should change its not for me to say .

I know this is a controversial subject for many especially for those who do the waiting on but just wanted to know your opinions and not offend anyone .

Weather_Lady

No, it is not fair. Standard tip amount here in the U.S. is 15%-20% of the total bill, including alcohol, and servers are not paid a living wage by their employers. Tips are not simply a reward to be withdrawn or reduced at will (except in the case of poor service), as in Europe and Scandinavia and other places: they are an essential part of a server's compensation.

If you want to tip a different amount, you are free to do so, but don't expect your servers to sympathize with your detailed rationale, or the fact that your tip is deficient by the standards to which they are accustomed.

My personal opinion is that if you can't afford to tip the customary amount for good service in a signature restaurant, then you shouldn't dine there: you should instead go somewhere where both the bill and the tip are within your means. (Hence, the reason why my family has yet to dine at a signature restaurant...) When in Rome...

Last edited:

Duckberg

We were at Ohana's last year & the server while a nice person was NOT attentive & kept disappearing. Rather than stew, we took him to the side when he reappeared. Told him he would get a 20% tip if he a did a 180 on his level of service to our table, otherwise he would get lesser tip & a formal complaint to the manager on duty. Frankly when your paying $100+ at WDW that's not an unfair stance to take. The server did a 180 in service & got the 20% tip!

HRHPrincessAriel

No, it is not fair. Standard tip amount here in the U.S. is 15%-20% of the total bill, including alcohol, and servers are not paid a living wage by their employers. Tips are not simply a reward to be withdrawn or reduced at will (except in the case of poor service), as in Europe and Scandinavia and other places: they are an essential part of a server's compensation.

If you want to tip a different amount, you are free to do so, but don't expect your servers to sympathize with your detailed rationale, or the fact that your tip is deficient by the standards to which they are accustomed.

My personal opinion is that if you can't afford to tip the customary amount for good service in a signature restaurant, then you shouldn't dine there: you should instead go somewhere where both the bill and the tip are within your means. (Hence, the reason why my family has yet to dine at a signature restaurant...) When in Rome...
ditto.

Kit83

Original Poster

Thanks for your comments they in my experience are what the majority of people feel .

As you say servers are not paid a living wage in their basic but you must agree with tips even at a level I think is fair, they make more than a decent take home pay .

Paying a % of the wine I could never agree to if I spend $50 on wine its the same work as a $200 bottle (there is no extra knowledge required )

Staff in Europe live on their basic, tips are not expected and mostly not declared .

A four cover bill at at signature restaurant with wine may cost around $350, tip would be around $70 I wish I could make that per table for an evenings work on top of basic. So I think my $15 to $25 is more than fair for less than two hours work not forgetting the server would be getting the same from other tables. I don't think in my case its about being able to pay that amount of tip, its that 15 to 20 % is too much on large bills .

I think you not dining at at signature restaurant because of the tipping norm is a pity I'm sure that's not what any staff or management would want . I do respect your selflessness but I would rather enjoy my meal and pay what I consider to be a more than fair tip .

It is not my intention to pick on or upset you or anyone else and I do value your comments and the above are just my opinion's

HRHPrincessAriel

Thanks for your comments they in my experience are what the majority of people feel .

As you say servers are not paid a living wage in their basic but you must agree with tips even at a level I think is fair, they make more than a decent take home pay .

Paying a % of the wine I could never agree to if I spend $50 on wine its the same work as a $200 bottle (there is no extra knowledge required )

Staff in Europe live on their basic, tips are not expected and mostly not declared .

A four cover bill at at signature restaurant with wine may cost around $350, tip would be around $70 I wish I could make that per table for an evenings work on top of basic. So I think my $15 to $25 is more than fair for less than two hours work not forgetting the server would be getting the same from other tables. I don't think in my case its about being able to pay that amount of tip, its that 15 to 20 % is too much on large bills .

I think you not dining at at signature restaurant because of the tipping norm is a pity I'm sure that's not what any staff or management would want . I do respect your selflessness but I would rather enjoy my meal and pay what I consider to be a more than fair tip .

It is not my intention to pick on or upset you or anyone else and I do value your comments and the above are just my opinion's
But people are telling you that is NOT a fair tip here. There is a standard and you are not meeting it with what you are proposing. I wouldn't try to push my American customs when I go visit another country I strive to fall in line with what is expected of me if not more.

Mawg

I don't really want to reopen this controversial topic but I would like to know what you think of how we plan to tip at WDW . I'am happy to tip the normal amounts for bags valet parking bar staff etc but when it comes to tipping in restaurants I have come up with this for a family of four eating (3 course) at a signature restaurant.

We will gave between 15 and 25 dollars depending on service, top end if they exceed our expected level of service bottom if its a normal level . If service is poor too slow rude etc we will not pay any tip and will make a formal complaint after first taking the matter up with the waiter .

We will not pay any extra for wine service unless they show expertise and then not a % (I've worked in the wine trade for 30 years ) but then only around $10 regardless of the wine cost . Wine sales in restaurants are a massive profit earner so we will not pay a % on already very inflated prices .

This is based on a 3 course meal for 4 with wine, cheaper meals we will pay 15 to 20 % of the food cost less tax and wine but that % will not exceed the 15 to 25 $ its no more work to serve more expensive food .

Florida minimum tipped wage is $4.91 assuming each waiter is tipped 15 $ per table and they serve 3 tables per hour for 6 hours inc lunch and dinner on a 8 hour day they should earn around $310 a day five days a week 48 weeks a year not bad even after tax .

It's all much easier here in europe service is always included. I often add to the bill if service is very good but I have also had the service charge removed if it was poor. I'not suggesting the USA should change its not for me to say .

I know this is a controversial subject for many especially for those who do the waiting on but just wanted to know your opinions and not offend anyone .

Plain and simple answer, No.
Once a server is experienced enough to work fine dinning they have worked their way up the ladder and deserve to earn more. Saying that it's OK to tip 15 - 20% for cheaper meals but to cap it off at 25 dollars for more expensive meals is telling your server you don't respect the work they have done to get where they are. Just like in any industry you try to work your way up to make more money and these people in fine dinning have worked their way up through a very difficult industry. Tipping them 18% -20% shows them the respect they deserve (if they have given good service). Your scenario of $310 a day is not accurate either, it may be for the very best and in which case it is deserved but most servers have off times with tables not full and have to take an hour at the end of their shift to do side work where they do not have tables. During slow times they may even be sent home and not given the full 40 hrs that week so they have to make as much as they can when they can. They also get stiffed at WDW more than in most places because they have to deal with types of people that don't understand the culture here. If you feel that adding 18% - 20% to the final tab makes the bill too expensive then you have dined out of your comfort zone and should not have gone to that establishment to begin with.

Mawg

You are making an assumption that, that person does not deserve $30, $50 or even $70 an hour. You don't know them. Because they are in service, do you think you are better than them and they should not make more money than you. Not going to get in this any further with you but I firmly disagree with you and believe your view shows that you think these people are beneath you.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You won't find much support amoung most Americans for the idea of capped tip - even though the principle itself is sound. Too much of america is jaded by the 'they work really hard!' 'they don't get paid enough' or they've worked service in the past and still hold grudges against poor tippers.

Does the person working the buffet who just delievers drinks and takes empty plates work the same as the person taking your orders and serving 3 courses? No... but within the mindset of many in the US, they wouldn't dare consider tipping the buffet worker less than 15%... yet may scoff that the full service wait staff baseline should be higher. It's a mindset not held by logic but emotions.

Or how about when you tip bartenders... do you tip twice as much because you bought a import beer instead of a domestic? No, most people tip based on the # of drinks and complexity... but again many will stick to the mantra of '20%' because it's some arbitrary number commonly used before.

Plain and simple answer, No.
Once a server is experienced enough to work fine dinning they have worked their way up the ladder and deserve to earn more. Saying that it's OK to tip 15 - 20% for cheaper meals but to cap it off at 25 dollars for more expensive meals is telling your server you don't respect the work they have done to get where they are

Except we're talking about Disney world... where prices are higher not because of 'fine dining' but because it's Disney. Another example where it doesn't add up... character meals. Where the per person cost is high because of the entertainment, but by common defintion you should be tipping the wait staff on the meal cost.. which is excessively inflated because of the entertainment. Adding insult to injury, several of those locations are BUFFETS and others are family style. Why should the wait staff be tipped the same as someone who actually works a resturant with enough service and quality to actually demand $40 a plate?

Simply put.. price doesn't define service level... yet people expect to be tipped on a schedule based on price, not service.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I totally agree with your formula IF (that's called a big if) you tip the bus boys and kitchen staff seperately and at the same level.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I believe that a $25 tip on a $350 meal is disrespectful. If you can afford the $350...what is another 15%? Be a respectful vacationer and give the full 15-20%. If you don't want to tip on alcohol then don't order it. Buy wine and enjoy it in the room.

So if I drive an expensive car... because I can afford it... I should throw money at people universally?

If I buy a $100 bottle of wine vs a $10 bottle... did the waiter work that much harder?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom