DLR Food: Where to eat and where not to!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I felt dining at the DLR needed its own thread here. I've seen too many people make mistakes in terms of eating at the parks. Here is my opinionated list of places to eat at and where not to eat at Disneyland, California Adventure, and Downtown Disney. I will include photos to help. I will mostly be discussing quick service spots. Speaking of that, if there are any DLR newbies reading this, most of the quick service eateries are great options and you don't have to eat table service for every meal! My fellow Disneyland experts/locals, @TP2000, @GiveMeTheMusic, @Endor Sightseer, and @sponono88 please feel free to add your favorites or any place I missed.

Don't Eat Here (or try other options)!

Disneyland

Tomorrowland Terrace
: Seriously, avoid this place at all costs. The burgers are gross, the fries aren't that great, and it's just lackluster overall. One can find better food elsewhere.

The place is barren for a reason:

Tomorrowland-Terrace2.jpg

Pizza Port: This place is another dud. First of all, it's very dated, and it's in Tomorrowland. I feel like a kid back on the 90's again whenever I walk past this place. The pizza is nothing special and the salads are whatever. I will admit I enjoy the chicken fusili. Still, I would never recommend Pizza Port.

6_redd-rocketts-pizza-port.jpg

Village Haus: Village Haus is not as bad as the other two, but it's not worth a visit IMO.

P1269735.JPG

Gibson Girl Ice Cream: I actually like the Gibson Girl, but I believe Ghirardelli's and Clarabelle's across at California have better tasting options for ice cream. I would go for one of those options instead.

Gibson-Girl-Ice-Cream2.jpg

California Adventure

Corn Dog Castle: Unless you want a hot link or a cheese stick, get your corn dog at the Red Wagon at Disneyland! That is the best one (yes, the corn dogs at each location taste slightly different).

corn-dog-castle.jpg

Cove Bar: I don't have a problem with Cove Bar, but I think Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel is better.

CoveBar.jpg

Paradise Pier Ice Cream Company: As I stated earlier, DCA sells better ice cream, unless you prefer soft-served.

ppicecream.JPG

Downtown Disney

House of Blues
: Typical restaurant that's found in many locations. Go for something different!

a63f5a25-17c8-4265-8b8a-0734e505f68a.jpg

Rainforest Cafe: Same as House of Blues.

9a36785ab8c7ac2457fde3a0610f47a6.jpg

Eat Here (or consider trying)!

Disneyland

The Plaza Inn: The Plaza Inn is worth trying for reason alone: the glorious fried chicken. It's delicious. There are other options, too. The Plaza Inn is on the pricey side, but it's worth spending the extra cash. Plus, it was one of Walt's favorite places to eat in the park (back when it went by a different name). Plaza Inn is quick service.

Plaza-Restaurant1.jpg

Little Red Wagon on Main Street: Yummy! Best corn dogs in the park, and possibly ever. It's worth waiting in the long line.

little_red_wagon.gif

Rancho Del Zocalo: Is it authentic Mexican food? No, but it's really good for theme park food and a really great option. Rancho Del Zocalo is also quick service.

Rancho-del-Zocalo1.jpg

French Market: Good food. 'Nuff said.

FrenchMarket01.jpg

Royal Street Veranda: Try the clam chowder, it's delicious!

Royal-Street-Veranda1.jpg

Harbour Galley: It's tiny, but the food is worth trying.

HarbourGalley1.jpg

River Belle Terrace: Another great option and alternative to burgers and chicken strips.

River-Belle-Terrace2.jpg

Continuing in the next post...

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
California Adventure

Flo's V8 Cafe: Really good comfort food and fantastic atmosphere!

DSC_1354%20as%20Smart%20Object-1-M.jpg

Cocina Cucamonga: Like Rancho, they do not offer truly authentic Mexican food, but the food is pretty tasty.

Cocina-Mexican-Grill1.jpg

Clarabelle's Ice Cream: Great ice cream options and it's such a cute ice cream shop.

ClarabellsIceCream.jpg

Ghirardelli's: Need I say more, honestly? Everything is decadent and delicious! Be ready to spend the cash.

dca123666LARGE.jpg

Pacific Wharf Cafe: Very tasty soups.

PacificWharfCafe.jpg

Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe: Come here for sandwiches.

fiddler-fifer-and-practical-cafe-00.jpg

Downtown Disney

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen: Come here if you enjoy Creole food.

Jazz-Kitchen-express1.jpg

Tortilla Jo's: Great atmosphere, beautiful restaurant, and delicious food (@coachwnh can vouch for me).

DSC_4444.jpg

@TP2000, @GiveMeTheMusic, @Endor Sightseer, @sponono88 Please feel free to add more.

George Lucas on a Bench

I am honestly not a fan of Disneyland food. It's true! I prefer to grab sandwiches at Lee's down the street. If I had to choose a restaurant to eat at Disneyland, it'd be French Market. The corn chowder is good although it's still not quite filling enough, which is a major problem I have with Disney food. It's never enough for my metabolism.

In general, Disney food is overpriced, bland and inadequate. I didn't appreciate being served 99¢ Store food at Pizza Port, getting next to nothing at the Jazz Kitchen (I might as well have just handed them the 20 bucks and left) or those terrible, awful sweet potato fries that they charge a premium for at the Hungry Bear. Jesus. Now, I'm NOT a food snob, I just prefer my food to be reasonably-priced, filling and not disgusting. That said, I'm also poor.

Here's what you do, alright? The restaurant next to Soarin' Over California. They have toppings bars. Construct your own killer toppings bar salads. Repeat the process until you're full. It's FREE! Okay, at least purchase something beforehand so you're not a total scumbag. I'm telling you. Toppings bar...

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Tomorrowland Terrace is always full of people at peak times, but the only thing I really like there is the Portabello and Red Pepper sandwich. Also, I think Village Haus is worth a visit for the BLT flatbread, the spicy chicken sausage link or the Apple and Cheddar salad.

It's also worth pointing out that Disneyland has great seasonal special menu items throughout the year, with Valentines Day coming up next. I think that's a great effort on their part, they especially go all out during Halloween.

And I agree with Taste Pilots Grill! I turned a rather ordinary Chicken sandwich into an amazing one with all those toppings!

I would reccommend White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian Hotel for their nachos and carnitas burger!

GiveMeTheMusic

The best food IMO in the parks is at Paradise Garden Grill. The skewers are fantastic and the platters have amazing sides - it doesn't feel like theme park food at all. During Viva Navidad it serves an inferior Mexican menu - the rest of the year the fabulous skewers are served.

disney4life2008

Thank you for the amazing thread. I am guilty of going to tomorrowland terrace and the burger and fries were disgusting. But i was on limited time. The plaza inn on the other hand was amazing. Its hard to explain to disneyworld folks, you eat on real plates and silverware. Fingers crossed for good news in the upcoming weeks..

Texas84

GREAT post. A note on Tortilla Jo's. Don't get the stupid 'safe' enchilada-taco combo plate. Be adventurous and try something new. Everything else we tried was delicious.

westie

I disagree with some of the OP's choices. The lobster nacho's and thai lettuce wraps at the cove bar are really(x2) good! On the other hand, the lobster roll at the harbor galley is hideous.

George Lucas on a Bench

I actually forgot about the breakfast buffets at the Plaza Inn and Storytellers Cafe. I do recommend these. Storytellers has the better selection of food, but Plaza Inn has the superior atmosphere. Either way, you win. Tons of food, all-you-can-eat Mickey Waffles, endless coffee, characters walking around. One of the only times I've really been satisfied with dining at Disney.

Slipknot

I figure I'll ask about restaurants (fast food or otherwise) unique to California/the west coast not on Disneyland property that we don't have here in Florida since someone brought up In n Out already.

Sage of Time

Excellnt post. Happy I seemed to hit most of these just by doing my own research.

I'd skip Carnation Cafe, though. Small portions, bland food... Plaza is much, much better.

I'd go to Paradise Garden Grill. Some nice Mediterranean dishes back there and a LOVELY setting in Paradise Pier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom