PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

peter11435

Actually the underwhelming lobby MIGHT affect DVC sales, When you walk into SSR/AKL/WL the lobbies are simply WOW they scream I WANT TO STAY THERE... With the Poly that WOW factor is gone, The Lobby was the Poly's WOW factor because lets face it the rooms are nothing special in the Poly while expensive they have no unique theming etc.
Clearly you've been to a different SSR than I have. There is certainly nothing WOW about that resort.

Cesar R M

The fact still remains that Poly is one of the original resorts at Disney and is somewhat of an icon. The water feature itself was a huge part of that. Its just complete and utter disrespect to the resort AND to those who love the Polynesian and spend A LOT of their hard earned money there. Did they need to rebuild the entire water structure? No, but they took a resort with a STUNNING entrance that smacked you upside the head with a south pacific feeling when you walked in and they turned it into a mildly themed Hampton Inn. Its nothing horrible, but its also far from amazing. And people need to stop with the, "the lobby was cramped and now its open" comments. I stayed there several times during peak seasons and visited for diner and drinks even more and not once did I ever feel like I was in a confined space.

Look at the other monorail resorts. GF has a 'grand' entrance that takes your breath away when you enter and the Contemporary has a friking monorail that runs through it. Both of those resorts have lobbies that will make a first time visitors draw jop upon walking in. The Poly lobby used to be in that club, now its an upscale Pizza Hut waiting area. ya, im being a little harsh and the Poly is still a good resort, but they ripped its heart out and people say things like, "i love the new seats". I would prefer to say, WOW, look at that! That just doesnt happen often in WDW anymore.
the new icons will definitively be "Sponsored by Pizza hut". aka the huts outside.

Next Big Thing

If this were the center of a cross-roads in the property... I would agree with the need to open things up and make the space more functional as a intersection and meeting point. But besides moving past some luggage... has anyone felt like the lobby was a crowded train platform? Or a jumbled crosswalk intersection?

I see lots of seating areas... for waiting for the bus and shuttles? Else why am I constantly in the new lobby?
Trader Sams hasn't opened yet. Obviously the people there for Sams will be in the bar, but the resort will see a much higher traffic level. Not defending the removal, just saying that that could be something to watch out for.

Next Big Thing

John Lasseter publicly criticized the original Disney California Adventure in a Cars Land presentation at the 2011 D23 Expo. It was explaining the need for the investment, but he essentially said the park wasn't up to Disney standards.
Of course he did... because a new version of DCA was already in the works. They aren't going to criticize something they just spent the majority of the past year working on.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Went to Poly yesterday for lunch at Kona (very nice by the way) and checked out the new lobby.

Generic is the best way to describe it, and while I give it a "meh" on the rating scale, the most distressing thing is -

THAT smell - the one that welcomed me to so many vacatikns over 40 years - is now totally gone.

Ridiculous or not, I even tried to sniff the puny wet rock wall they have now (a joke if you ask me) for that Poly fix, but no luck.

Sad...
You mean mildew and mold?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Blandest lobby in WDW, sadly.

Although in fairness, the lobby was pretty much carried over from the Disney Institute.

If you have seen it many times I agree, But just watch a first timer come in their jaw drops. That's the WOW factor. To your point SSR lobby has nothing to sustain it after the initial wow,

Key Problem with Poly is now there is no initial WOW anymore.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Trader Sams hasn't opened yet. Obviously the people there for Sams will be in the bar, but the resort will see a much higher traffic level. Not defending the removal, just saying that that could be something to watch out for.

You mean the Lifestylers, They will be there for a while while Disney does it's social media W----fest but I can't imagine the average basement dwelling Lifestyler wearing an Oswald T-shirt and cargo shorts picking up the bar tab after that ends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom