Flamingo Crossing Hotels

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
If Marriott is building two hotels here, I would look for a couple of chain restaurants at the very least to announce plans pretty soon as well.
Can't imagine those two being out there without any kind of food places.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-flamingo-crossings-20141002-story.html

flamingo-crossings-500x184.jpg

orlando sentinel

Next Big Thing

Makes sense. WWOS is mostly aimed at youth sports and that's not far away.

Gonna be weird when the Barves leave. (Still rumored)
WWoS has one of the best spring training stadiums in Florida... i'm sure another team would happily take over eventually.

Or is Disney looking to get out of having a Spring Training team?

PhotoDave219

WWoS has one of the best spring training stadiums in Florida... i'm sure another team would happily take over eventually.

Or is Disney looking to get out of having a Spring Training team?

These are rumors out of the Braves, not the mouse.

The nearest team is the Astros, whom are moving from Kissimmee. Other then that you have the Tigers in Lakeland. The rest are around Tampa or are in SoFla. (The Nationals will move south)

I would love to see the Barves stay but there are few neighboring teams these days.

Next Big Thing

These are rumors out of the Braves, not the mouse.

The nearest team is the Astros, whom are moving from Kissimmee. Other then that you have the Tigers in Lakeland. The rest are around Tampa or are in SoFla. (The Nationals will move south)

I would love to see the Barves stay but there are few neighboring teams these days.
Looking into it, it doesn't seem like anything is definitive, but it doesn't look good either. It seems like the Nats and Astros are looking to get out as well (if they do or not could be a deciding factor on the Braves leaving or not) and if they do, being basically the only team left north of Tampa is pointless. It's just unnecessary added travel time.

PhotoDave219

Looking into it, it doesn't seem like anything is definitive, but it doesn't look good either. It seems like the Nats and Astros are looking to get out as well (if they do or not could be a deciding factor on the Braves leaving or not) and if they do, being basically the only team left north of Tampa is pointless. It's just unnecessary added travel time.

The tigers are not going to leave Lakeland. That's nerve minor-league affiliate and they've been there for over 50 years. The nationals on the Astros are pretty much already said they're out, both are being courted by Palm Beach County, The last I checked.

Where that leaves the Barves? I suspect they may be looking for an area where they are closer to another team.

Next Big Thing

The tigers are not going to leave Lakeland. That's nerve minor-league affiliate and they've been there for over 50 years. The nationals on the Astros are pretty much already said they're out, both are being courted by Palm Beach County, The last I checked.

Where that leaves the Barves? I suspect they may be looking for an area where they are closer to another team.
We'll see if Astros and Nats actually go... if they're being courted then i'd expect it but still i'll believe it when it happens.

If the Braves were to move, Al Lang Stadium in St. Petersburg would probably work fine for them. The Rays used it for 10 years until 2009 when they moved to Port Charlotte. Now the stadium is pretty much just occupied by minor league teams. According to the wikipedia, no major league team has occupied the stadium since the Rays left.

It's a very old stadium though (opened in 1947), however was recently renovated in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lang_Stadium

EDIT: Apparently the Canada and Dutch National teams use the stadium so not sure if it would work.

PhotoDave219

We'll see if Astros and Nats actually go... if they're being courted then i'd expect it but still i'll believe it when it happens.

If the Braves were to move, Al Lang Stadium in St. Petersburg would probably work fine for them. The Rays used it for 10 years until 2009 when they moved to Port Charlotte. Now the stadium is pretty much just occupied by minor league teams. According to the wikipedia, no major league team has occupied the stadium since the Rays left.

It's a very old stadium though (opened in 1947), however was recently renovated in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lang_Stadium

EDIT: Apparently the Canada and Dutch National teams use the stadium so not sure if it would work.

I've been to Al Lang stadium.

It is not a major league baseball spring-training complex.

From what I hear, the nationals leaving is actually happening. And the voters in Osceola County voted down a project to rehab the Astros facility.

At the end, it's all going to come down to the almighty dollar.

Next Big Thing

I've been to Al Lang stadium.

It is not a major league baseball spring-training complex.

From what I hear, the nationals leaving is actually happening. And the voters in Osceola County voted down a project to rehab the Astros facility.

At the end, it's all going to come down to the almighty dollar.
That's why I mentioned Al Lang Stadium... since it isn't occupied for MLB Spring Training, it could be an option for the Braves. It's been a spring training complex in the past. Many times.

PhotoDave219

That's why I mentioned Al Lang Stadium... since it isn't occupied for MLB Spring Training, it could be an option for the Braves. It's been a spring training complex in the past. Many times.

I'm not saying it hasn't. I've worked a game in that complex. It's… It's kind of a crap hole.

I really hope the Braves in Disney can come to some sort of an arrangement. I prefer covering baseball teams that are 20 minutes from my house.

Next Big Thing

I'm not saying it hasn't. I've worked a game in that complex. It's… It's kind of a crap hole.

I really hope the Braves in Disney can come to some sort of an arrangement. I prefer covering baseball teams that are 20 minutes from my house.
Well it opened in 1947. It was renovated recently as I said, but still.

And yeah, I do hope Disney and the Braves can work stuff out. It might be worth it for Disney to open the checkbook a little to offer to stay. A lot of people come down every year just to see the Braves play and a good percentage of them stay on site. Disney would lose a lot of guaranteed business every March if they go.

PhotoDave219

Well it opened in 1947. It was renovated recently as I said, but still.

And yeah, I do hope Disney and the Braves can work stuff out. It might be worth it for Disney to open the checkbook a little to offer to stay. A lot of people come down every year just to see the Braves play and a good percentage of them stay on site. Disney would lose a lot of guaranteed business every March if they go.

I work in nine of the spring training complexes this past March. Out of those nine, wide world of sports is behind the Yankees, the Phillies, the Red Sox, The Orioles, and pretty much on par with the nationals.

Disney has some renovating to do if they want to remain a top facility for the grapefruit league.

Next Big Thing

I work in nine of the spring training complexes this past March. Out of those nine, wide world of sports is behind the Yankees, the Phillies, the Red Sox, The Orioles, and pretty much on par with the nationals.

Disney has some renovating to do if they want to remain a top facility for the grapefruit league.
Well, I wasn't talking about the facilities per say. Didn't it just get a pretty big upgrade though? Do you think they'd be willing to put more money into it?

They definitely do need to upgrade the stadium a bit though. It's set up very nicely, but lacks in several areas. I was very surprised there was no vendors in the isles when I went for the first time this year.

I was just saying pretty much that the Braves bring in guaranteed guests every year. I guess now that you mention the stadium needing renovations, maybe Disney should promise renovations within a period of time, with specifics written out, and offer that to the Braves if they'll sign a new contract.

PhotoDave219

Well, I wasn't talking about the facilities per say. Didn't it just get a pretty big upgrade though? Do you think they'd be willing to put more money into it?

They definitely do need to upgrade the stadium a bit though. It's set up very nicely, but lacks in several areas. I was very surprised there was no vendors in the isles when I went for the first time this year.

I was just saying pretty much that the Braves bring in guaranteed guests every year. I guess now that you mention the stadium needing renovations, maybe Disney should promise renovations within a period of time, with specifics written out, and offer that to the Braves if they'll sign a new contract.

You can add Tampa Bay to the list of facilities that are nicer than the Disney's facility…

Don't get me wrong. I like how Lang stadium. I've been there a bunch of times. It's quaint. It's cute. It's entirely in adequate for major-league baseball

Next Big Thing

You can add Tampa Bay to the list of facilities that are nicer than the Disney's facility…

Don't get me wrong. I like how Lang stadium. I've been there a bunch of times. It's quaint. It's cute. It's entirely in adequate for major-league baseball
Are we talking about the same thing? Because I wasn't talking about Lang at all in my previous post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom