Is the Great Movie Ride next?

SJN1279

I hate when people say it's outdated.

How is GMR outdated? Please enlighten me?

Sure it's 25 years old, but POTC is almost 50 years old and nobody is complaining.

Classic Films are timeless; how can it be outdated?

Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca outdated? I should say not.

The only scene I can think of that's sort of stale is the Tarzan scene, but that can be overlooked.

A few ways:

-The ride system crawls through the attraction

-The live narrator and thief storyline

-The ride is over 20 minutes long and feels every minute of it

-Classic films can be timeless, but not always relevant or enjoyable.

Redsky89

Its in a desperate need of a update. I don't see them getting rid of it but there are so many other films that could be showcased in there.

Disneykidder

I like the ride but when people say it needs updating, what they mean is it needs more current/noticeable movies. My kids have no idea what most of those are. Plus Soujourney Weaver freaks me out...looks terrible.

I have heard through the grapevine that it is going to be taken down within the year to make room for Star WArs Land. The property for GMR is huge and needed for SWL. Again, this is just what I heard from some CMs so take it as you will. It is also always empty and uses a lot of CMs.

Launchpad McQuack

I think it will be updated for sure. I don't know when - maybe in the next 15 years or so?

Though, I don't like the idea of placing "newer/modern" movies in the theme. I think they should keep the Old Hollywood feel and still show older movies for the sake of consistency and nostalgia. It fits in more with Hollywood Studios as a whole.

When you ride it, it definitely feels archaic and in need of renovation, so I do hope they update the ride at some point. But I'd hate to see it replaced. It's a good ride, in my opinion. Just needs some care.

I actually think some "newer" movies would work just fine in the ride. I wouldn't want something that just came out last year, but something with an established legacy like Lord of the Rings, Titanic, etc.

Also, I think the "old Hollywood" aspect of the ride was already broken with the initial inclusion of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien (two great films). As great as they are, they were eight and ten years old when the attraction opened, which means Raiders was probably no more than a couple years old when the concept for the ride started.

I would openly welcome an update/upgrade for the attraction. It is still a must-do on every WDW vacation, but when I did it last week, it almost felt like an obligation, especially during the gangster part.

IF the ride itself is replaced, I hope the new attraction is similarly themed and uses the same Chinese Theatre facade.

All that being said, I would get rid of the Backlot Tour first. I did that last week for the first time in a decade or so, and, at this point, it just needs to go. It's awful.

Mike S

Replace Tarzan with Star Wars and give everything else a good updating with new AA's etc. Alien should definitely stay as it's a huge icon of science fiction and really the only horror movie represented unless you count the generic zombie/mummy scene :rolleyes:

afar28

I don't think the ride itself is outdated, just some of the scenes are. Adding in a new movie or two would be great

misterID

I like the ride but when people say it needs updating, what they mean is it needs more current/noticeable movies. My kids have no idea what most of those are. Plus Soujourney Weaver freaks me out...looks terrible.

I have heard through the grapevine that it is going to be taken down within the year to make room for Star WArs Land. The property for GMR is huge and needed for SWL. Again, this is just what I heard from some CMs so take it as you will. It is also always empty and uses a lot of CMs.

That would be a really awkward Star Wars land layout.

I think there have been several proposals for a replacement, Martin can answer this better, but that's never a good sign. I think it will be replaced, eventually. I have a hard time believing it will have anything to do with Star Wars, as that will have already happened by then, I assume. I can see it being replaced with Guardians Of the Galaxy, Monstropolis or turned into a convention center. That's my guess.

misterID

I don't think the ride itself is outdated, just some of the scenes are. Adding in a new movie or two would be great
They really don't need a CM host/guide. They could use small screens in the car hosted by like Steve Martin, it could be updated with newer films, Disney Classics, Star Wars scenes and Pixar, and make it more interactive. This just strikes me as a Horizons deal... All you need is a significant refurb, but it gets replaced instead.

Launchpad McQuack

That would be a really awkward Star Wars land layout.

I think there have been several proposals for a replacement, Martin can answer this better, but that's never a good sign. I think it will be replaced, eventually. I have a hard time believing it will have anything to do with Star Wars, as that will have already happened by then, I assume. I can see it being replaced with Guardians Of the Galaxy, Monstropolis or turned into a convention center. That's my guess.

I'd love a Guardians of the Galaxy presence, but is that even allowed with the Marvel stuff at Universal?

BrerJon

I'm pretty sure that we will see a Great Movie Ride replacement at some point. Definitely not tomorrow but probably in most of our lifetimes. It takes up a lot of real estate, expensive to maintain and staff, and terribly outdated. If updating with more current or well-known films of today, I feel they would have done that by now. After all, it's been around for 25 years.

I can see a Star Wars expansion being the thing that kills GMR. the show building would be perfect for a massive Star Wars attraction, and you could turn Commisary Lane into a Tatooine market, turn the ABC Commisary into the new ride entrance, give Sci-Fi Dine-In a Star Wars makeover, and you have a large 'expansion' for a far lower cost than anything that would need a new building.

BrerJon

They really don't need a CM host/guide. They could use small screens in the car hosted by like Steve Martin, it could be updated with newer films, Disney Classics, Star Wars scenes and Pixar, and make it more interactive. This just strikes me as a Horizons deal... All you need is a significant refurb, but it gets replaced instead.

Urgh, more screens. I can see it now... instead of animatronics, the new '3D' GMR involves riding past Toy Story Mania style giant screens showing clips from the movies, with a narration on video screens in the car (that probably won't work half the time, like on the Backlot Tour).

AEfx

A few ways:

-The ride system crawls through the attraction

So does the Haunted Mansion, IASW, POTC...

-The live narrator and thief storyline

Not sure that qualifies as "outdated" - it certainly could use some improvement, but there is nothing "dated" about it.

-The ride is over 20 minutes long and feels every minute of it

I know - isn't it great???

You do realize that not every ride needs to be under 3.5 minutes, right?

-Classic films can be timeless, but not always relevant or enjoyable.

I think you need to reacquaint yourself with the meaning of the term "timeless".

misterID

Urgh, more screens. I can see it now... instead of animatronics, the new '3D' GMR involves riding past Toy Story Mania style giant screens showing clips from the movies, with a narration on video screens in the car (that probably won't work half the time, like on the Backlot Tour).

No, no screens outside the vehicle. But seeing as this won't ever happen, and seeing that GMR is probably going to be replaced, I hope they utilize the space well. I think Spirit said there were proposals to turn the space into a thrill ride, but just like SSE, there are structure problems that prevent this from happening.

BigTxEars

It needs a refresh in a big way IMO.

More currently relevent content added will broaden it's appeal to a large portion of their guests and reflect the continued timeline of classic Hollywood movies which to me it what the ride is all about anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom