Wonders of Life, Then and Now.

epcot2004

Without knowing the contract with the sponsor, MetLife it's impossible to know if a bad decision. Sponsors don't just pay money for naming rights. In many cases they have intellectual property rights. When they stop sponsoring then Disney can only use those things if the contract language allows them to do so. That's why we'd have to know the actual contract language before placing blame.

We know from Spaceship Earth where Siemen's demanded that anything that referenced AT&T technology or concepts be removed and their's inserted that the sponsor relations are complicated. Same thing with Kraft leaving the Land and Nestle coming in, United Technolgies leaving Seas, and Kodak leaving a Imagination. It's not as simple as just saying Disney is making bad decisions.

Management's job is to keep the buildings and attractions up and running. Period. They can negotiate new deals when a contract is not renewed. To excuse this pavilion being empty due to lack of sponsorship is incorrect in my opinion.

Polydweller

Management's job is to keep the buildings and attractions up and running. Period. They can negotiate new deals when a contract is not renewed. To excuse this pavilion being empty due to lack of sponsorship is incorrect in my opinion.
Read my post more carefully. I did not say anything about lack of sponsorship. Disney and it's sponsors have contracts that sometimes includes use of intellectual property. If the sponsor pulls out and won't allow use of intellectual property to which they eon the rights then Disney can't use it.

Now Disney could try and get a new sponsor but they isn't necessarily easy. That's there business model and the original choice of that model in 1981 leads to where we are now. They have sponsorships in some pavilions. Now what if they put a whole new pavilion together without sponsorship in WOL. You as a current sponsor would be upset and feeling that you were misled in bring led into a sponsorship. That leads to lawsuits, withdrawal of sponsorships and the complete collapse of the business model. That might be a good thing in the long run.

My point was and is that the interrelationship of factors is not necessarily as simple or straightforward as it may appear on the surface. Unless we know all those factors we really don't know where criticism should fall.

And management's job is not to keep buildings up and running. It's to make profits and recent financial reports indicate they are doing that very well. It's a business and that is management's job and how they are judged by their bosses, the board and the stockholders. As long as they have high profits they will mainly do things to increase them and that's what expected of them.

Goofyernmost

My point was and is that the interrelationship of factors is not necessarily as simple or straightforward as it may appear on the surface. Unless we know all those factors we really don't know where criticism should fall.
Believe me, that little fact has never stopped anyone on a discussion forum from criticizing anything and everything. Such is bliss!

copcarguyp71

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought up this article, and if they have please tell me. But I found this interested article, and i'm sure you would all me interested to read it.

http://www.yesterland.com/erasing.html

Tell me what you think!

blog+life+nov+1938+wd.jpg

epcot2004

Read my post more carefully. I did not say anything about lack of sponsorship. Disney and it's sponsors have contracts that sometimes includes use of intellectual property. If the sponsor pulls out and won't allow use of intellectual property to which they eon the rights then Disney can't use it.

Now Disney could try and get a new sponsor but they isn't necessarily easy. That's there business model and the original choice of that model in 1981 leads to where we are now. They have sponsorships in some pavilions. Now what if they put a whole new pavilion together without sponsorship in WOL. You as a current sponsor would be upset and feeling that you were misled in bring led into a sponsorship. That leads to lawsuits, withdrawal of sponsorships and the complete collapse of the business model. That might be a good thing in the long run.

And management's job is not to keep buildings up and running. It's to make profits and recent financial reports indicate they are doing that very well. It's a business and that is management's job and how they are judged by their bosses, the board and the stockholders. As long as they have high profits they will mainly do things to increase them and that's what expected of them.

I understand, I am not an idiot. Keeping the buildings occupied is directly part of the guest experience (or lack ther of in this case) which should, if done correctly, lead to profits. My opinion is simply that the WoL could have and should have been repurposed in a suitable way to be used by, and enjoyed by guests on a daily basis even if that meant gutting it and starting over. Again, just my opinion, I know opinions are not always appreciated in forum type settings.:)

DVCPluto

When we were there during F&G in 2013, the building closed very early - around 4ish. So even if there are "events" or demonstrations, you need to get there during a very small window.

From the guest perspective, it was disappointing to feel like I missed out on something. I think either close it or go all in, but this half way crap does more harm than good.

roj2323

No roller coasters. This is EPCOT Center we're talking about, not bloomin Six Flags.
Why couldn't they make it an educational roller coaster. A ride through the circulatory system or something. I'm just getting tired of empty pavilions and or Videos.

FettFan

Why couldn't they make it an educational roller coaster. A ride through the circulatory system or something. I'm just getting tired of empty pavilions and or Videos.

Educational roller coaster? Yeah, that would be about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.

If you want a ride through the circulatory system, go back to the scrapped plans for WoL; before Star Tours became a smash hit and they ported the sims over for Body Wars, WoL was going to be host to an Omnimover ride where the guests would ride through the human body on vehicles shaped like giant blood cells.
health_pavilion_web.jpg

@marni1971 's Ultimate Wonders of Life tribute video shows off more concept art, including a mockup model of the pavilion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or of they don't have room, why not simulate a coaster ride through the body?

Never know, it could work....

tcool

If Inside Out (and if EPCOT were to continue with characterizing everything) is a huge hit (Nemo Level) what's the possibility of Wonders of Life coming back, but being a retheme to Inside Out like how Living Seas was with Nemo?
(It's also a big plus because the building would actually be used full time)

pumpkin7

The pavillion is so beautiful though. Why would they hide it? (Well, apart from it does nothing of interest).
Man they need to put some rides back in there!

Haymarket2008

If Inside Out (and if EPCOT were to continue with characterizing everything) is a huge hit (Nemo Level) what's the possibility of Wonders of Life coming back, but being a retheme to Inside Out like how Living Seas was with Nemo?
(It's also a big plus because the building would actually be used full time)
I've been thinking about this since they announced it! It almost seems like they are making this movie with Epcot in mind. It just seems so perfect to me. And a perfect fit for Wonders of Life. Because it basically is the ideas used in Cranium Command put into an original Pixar movie.

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
I've been thinking about this since they announced it! It almost seems like they are making this movie with Epcot in mind. It just seems so perfect to me. And a perfect fit for Wonders of Life. Because it basically is the ideas used in Cranium Command put into an original Pixar movie.
Hopefully our dreams can come true.

RedFurredCadet

No, they replaced the arch with a smaller sign when the sponsor withdrew. They changed it in 2001, the pavilion officially closed for "events" in 2007.

No, like the other poster said, the trees were allowed to block the view. It was once very visible.

tumblr_l8z1zfuHcw1qahlqzo1_500.jpg

1989 - 2001
WDW176-Day4-NYE-Epcot-WondersOfLife.jpg

2001 - 2007 all those dang trees.

epcot-wonders-of-life-pavilion-1-9.jpg

2007 - present

No.

I've said this before.. I loved it. It was basically abandoned when I went to visit it as a kid. But that's why I loved WoL. Two E-Ticket.. Well, *formerly* E-Ticket attractions (Body Wars & Cranium Command), was a C-Ticket movie (Making of Me) and a pretty nice A-Ticket walk-in show (Goofy About Health) with a bunch of interactive stuff and a cafe.

It was a mini-amusement park to myself! I'm pretty sure the main reason it closed was because absolutely nothing was added or changed to the blame building since it opened in 1989. I mean, really. World of Motion because Test Track, Test Track just got an upgrade. Living seas was updated to Nemo, a popular character that drives people into the pavilion (whether you like it or not.) Universe of Energy was even updated with some popular 90s hits (though it's as dated as WoL was in 2000s now, at least people still go to it because even though they're dated, they're still relevant). Imagination even got it's own upgrade with the film upgraded with a good new one, then a better one, but then reverted back to EO. The ride sucks but it was updated. Even Spaceship Earth is updated. Horizons itself was completely demolished for M:S. These changes may be good or bad, but at least they got SOME attention.

Wonders of life got NOTHING. Plus Disney couldn't afford landscape work in front of it or whatever. And that is why it closed. Enough said.

Preach, good sir, poor Wonders died in obscurity. Needed a little TLC and trimmed branches.

Educational roller coaster? Yeah, that would be about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.

If you want a ride through the circulatory system, go back to the scrapped plans for WoL; before Star Tours became a smash hit and they ported the sims over for Body Wars, WoL was going to be host to an Omnimover ride where the guests would ride through the human body on vehicles shaped like giant blood cells.
health_pavilion_web.jpg

@marni1971 's Ultimate Wonders of Life tribute video shows off more concept art, including a mockup model of the pavilion.

Definitely worth looking, and referring to!

Hopefully our dreams can come true.

Amen good sir!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom