Avatar construction aerial updates

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
OK, so keeping things in terms of what one would see around WDW....are monorail pylons 4K? or just the legendary footings? What of the legs holding up SSE, I know I saw some pic where they appeared to be steel skeletons, but were they wrapped in concrete later? What attraction around the property has the deepest poured support?
I believe that the monorail beams were a custom concrete, but @Tom would know for sure.

If I am not mistaken, the legs that you see on spaceship earth are concrete encased steel girders attached to friction piles.

Spaceship%20Earth%2001.jpg

I am also pretty sure that SSE has the record for the deepest foundation at 189' +/- (@marni1971 will know the exact number right off the top of his head)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I believe that the monorail beams were a custom concrete, but @Tom would know for sure.

If I am not mistaken, the legs that you see on spaceship earth are concrete encased steel girders attached to friction piles.

I am also pretty sure that SSE has the record for the deepest foundation at 189' +/- (@marni1971 will know the exact number right off the top of his head)

Is that a photo of the SSE construction? Pretty cool if it is, I haven't seen that one before.

jdmdisney99

Also, notice the monorail tracks in the left background of the photo.

dstrawn9889

the table picture well above is he load structure for SSE, viewed from the communicore side. you can see the monorail beamway in background, where the living seas would be. form this picture then, the upper 70% geodesic will sit on top of the 'table' and the lower 30% geodesic will hang from it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The floating rocks will have nets and support poles. Can't have anything that may look like it may fall on a guest.
My guess is that the vast majority of the "perspectives" will make them look like they float, but there will be a small area of perspective that it will be evident that they don't, that they will try to hide by foliage, water falls, etc?
***and let me qualify "guess" to mean, I think I read that somewhere.....

AndyMagic

we are rolling

Yeah this baby is rolling alright. It's rolling like a Ford Pinto in neutral being pushed by an 80-year old grandfather with osteoporosis down I-95 from Maine down to Florida. By the time it finishes rolling and comes to a stop in 2017 we'll all get to marvel at its old technology borrowed from a Disney's California Adventure ride from 2001! Whoohooo!!!!

Bolt

My guess is that the vast majority of the "perspectives" will make them look like they float, but there will be a small area of perspective that it will be evident that they don't, that they will try to hide by foliage, water falls, etc?
***and let me qualify "guess" to mean, I think I read that somewhere.....
Wait - so this stuff won't actually float...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom