Disney emplyees arrested in under age sex stings

tirian

Agree, the worst part is.. some of these abusers are in position of trust.
like the case of the port orleans CM.. which was a PASTOR and was caught watching child ography while writing a sermon for his church.
If he was a pastor and working at Port Orleans, it must not have been a very large church. Anybody can get ordained online. I have a friend who became a friar for the heck of it.

Cesar R M

If he was a pastor and working at Port Orleans, it must not have been a very large church. Anybody can get ordained online. I have a friend who became a friar for the heck of it.

I still wonder why its too easy to be ordained in the US? seriously.. online???

Matt_Black

I think it ties into the religious freedom thing. I imagine few lawmakers want to risk potential backlash and risk having it taken to the courts to decide whether it's constitutional or not. Even if they are technically in the right, it could cause years of damage to their political careers, if not end it outright.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Most of the people who get ordained online do it for weddings. Many states will then allow you to be married that way. Joey did it on Friends and I know a few people who have done the same thing to legally marry friends and then they do nothing with it. My husband did it to perform the wedding of this brother, my father has done it to also marry a couple he was close with. We had a friend do it to perform our ceremony. In most cases it's people who want a legal marriage ceremony but aren't religious. It literally take 5 minutes to register. None of the people I know that have done it perform religious ceremonies in any way shape or form.

http://www.themonastery.org/ordinat...vAlMGk-sYMhVs2G63D6HZOO4LsPBQql-xwaAq__8P8HAQ

MDactor1980

At the root of this thread, I just have to comment on the sloppy journalism at hand. Without committing to the research, I would assume the numbers at Disney are similar to numbers in any other employer or work environment. There are perverts hired by schools, churches, restaurants, and just about every other type of work. The article did a poor job of not comparing any numbers and targeting the FL theme parks, specifically Disney. How about some more numbers CNN?

I also applaud the discussion going on in the thread. Abuse is not something we "like" to talk about. Given the alternative, I would much rather discuss ride closures and attraction rumors and trip planning. But CNN brought up the topic, and some here aren't ignoring it. Just because it's isn't "happy talk" doesn't mean that some of us are ignoring it or shying away. We've had some great discussion that proves that no one place is more or less safe than any other.

But also important is that a pervert who has yet to act on their impulses doesn't really have some magic target to make it obvious that they are a pervert or potential abuser. Someone who has been caught will have a trail that shows up in a background check, but if a person has "done" nothing...

I assume that since they didn't share any data, there are no reports of abuse happening on premises in the parks? Anyone smarter than CNN have information on this?

Obi

statistically speaking, the chances are good that there have been cases of abuse on disney property. however, i do not have any cases to pull up and post. with that being said, even though the chances are good that there probably has been cases of abuse happening on property, the percentage of it would be quite small to the amount of people that are there throughout the year.

quite often, abusers/predators will do things to entice the people they plan on abusing. things like giving them gifts, taking them to wdw and so on... this often creates a huge confusion to survivors because they end up thinking that this person isn't bad, look what this person gave me. this person took me to wdw so obviously he loves and cares about me.. usually the survivor would end up thinking that they weren't abused at all and, if it happens often, begin to believe that it's just part of normal life...

MDactor1980

statistically speaking, the chances are good that there have been cases of abuse on disney property. however, i do not have any cases to pull up and post. with that being said, even though the chances are good that there probably has been cases of abuse happening on property, the percentage of it would be quite small to the amount of people that are there throughout the year.

You reminded me of a caveat I should have thrown into my post! I'm not trying to say that it couldn't (or hasn't) happened, but I just wondered if there was some published fact to it. There was a link over on the 7th Heaven thread about molestation on DCL... but for the claims the CNN report was insinuating, something happening in the parks would be more cause for additional concern.

wogwog

At the root of this thread, I just have to comment on the sloppy journalism at hand. Without committing to the research, I would assume the numbers at Disney are similar to numbers in any other employer or work environment. There are perverts hired by schools, churches, restaurants, and just about every other type of work. The article did a poor job of not comparing any numbers and targeting the FL theme parks, specifically Disney. How about some more numbers CNN?

I also applaud the discussion going on in the thread. Abuse is not something we "like" to talk about. Given the alternative, I would much rather discuss ride closures and attraction rumors and trip planning. But CNN brought up the topic, and some here aren't ignoring it. Just because it's isn't "happy talk" doesn't mean that some of us Ware ignoring it or shying away. We've had some great discussion that proves that no one place is more or less safe than any other.

But also important is that a pervert who has yet to act on their impulses doesn't really have some magic target to make it obvious that they are a pervert or potential abuser. Someone who has been caught will have a trail that shows up in a background check, but if a person has "done" nothing...

I assume that since they didn't share any data, there are no reports of abuse happening on premises in the parks? Anyone smarter than CNN have information on this?
Years ago when CNN was a news network, not just mostly entertainment like now, they did some good investigative reporting. If they want to be seen as a news source again they sould now investigate, in a similar manner, the staff of CNN and some Federal agencies including Congress. If done honestly the numbers would be similar or most likely higher than at theme parks. Then they would be doing honest reporting. The theme park investigation was a start. It is no where near the finish. The county sheriff stings are doing a better service than CNN.

Cesar R M

Most of the people who get ordained online do it for weddings. Many states will then allow you to be married that way. Joey did it on Friends and I know a few people who have done the same thing to legally marry friends and then they do nothing with it. My husband did it to perform the wedding of this brother, my father has done it to also marry a couple he was close with. We had a friend do it to perform our ceremony. In most cases it's people who want a legal marriage ceremony but aren't religious. It literally take 5 minutes to register. None of the people I know that have done it perform religious ceremonies in any way shape or form.

http://www.themonastery.org/ordinat...vAlMGk-sYMhVs2G63D6HZOO4LsPBQql-xwaAq__8P8HAQ

then we're talking completely different professions then.
for me "Pastor" means someone who as been ordained by a church or religious group. (usually after a learning period, school like)
and the ones you mention, sound like simple "officers with power" legal wise (aka bestowed for simply marriage but not allowed to have a parish or similar)

both confusing and interesting at same time ( I mean, the differences betwen the US and MEX in that aspect)

Cesar R M

I also applaud the discussion going on in the thread. Abuse is not something we "like" to talk about. Given the alternative, I would much rather discuss ride closures and attraction rumors and trip planning. But CNN brought up the topic, and some here aren't ignoring it. Just because it's isn't "happy talk" doesn't mean that some of us are ignoring it or shying away. We've had some great discussion that proves that no one place is more or less safe than any other.

I think the part where not many people like to talk about it.. is why we should talk about it.
Dissing the issue and putting it behind a rug and claiming "nothing happened here!" isnt helping anybody.
At least there was this news investigation that did show that even "the happiest lands" (and parks) can have dangers for children.

As for the background check.. the background check will only see if THEY have been CAUGHT.

some dude might have a long story of abuse but did hide it very well.

Like many famous stars now being slammed left and right for being perverts.. (still annoying when they just decided to attack full force now, AFTER these stars died and who now have no opportunity to defend themselves)

as for Pedophilia.. anyone seen the news? they also caught 660 pedophiles in the UK.
they are doing very good job on rounding up these perverts.

You reminded me of a caveat I should have thrown into my post! I'm not trying to say that it couldn't (or hasn't) happened, but I just wondered if there was some published fact to it. There was a link over on the 7th Heaven thread about molestation on DCL... but for the claims the CNN report was insinuating, something happening in the parks would be more cause for additional concern.

I actually wonder if they didnt mention it because it is "old news", hidden under a rug.. or because it didnt technically happen "in US soil" (but in a foreign flagged ship)

Ranch Dressing

quite often, abusers/predators will do things to entice the people they plan on abusing. things like giving them gifts, taking them to wdw and so on... this often creates a huge confusion to survivors because they end up thinking that this person isn't bad, look what this person gave me. this person took me to wdw so obviously he loves and cares about me.. usually the survivor would end up thinking that they weren't abused at all and, if it happens often, begin to believe that it's just part of normal life...

Florida has open case searches to the general public. Disney has literally thousands of cases filed against them and I have yet to find anything related to sexual abuse of a child. If anything was ever filed it will be there for all to see, it can't be covered up or hidden no matter what anyone will ignorantly say.

MDactor1980

I think the part where not many people like to talk about it.. is why we should talk about it.
Dissing the issue and putting it behind a rug and claiming "nothing happened here!" isnt helping anybody.
At least there was this news investigation that did show that even "the happiest lands" (and parks) can have dangers for children.

As for the background check.. the background check will only see if THEY have been CAUGHT.

some dude might have a long story of abuse but did hide it very well.

as for Pedophilia.. anyone seen the news? they also caught 660 pedophiles in the UK.
they are doing very good job on rounding up these perverts.

I hope I didn't come off as dissing the issue!! I support discussion of the issue fully! I think it's important to investigate and discuss it in the media... I just feel (and several others have already said as much) that maybe this story shouldn't just be a one-off... but the start of more. They've noted the amount of pedos in central FL theme parks, now what about other places. I think there is a good bit of information out there on pedos in churches... so where next? How about more on workers in schools (college and grade school)? Government/elected officials? I mean it can't reach a point where people are scared to go anywhere or do anything, but they also should be informed...

And then to a solution? That's really tricky. My idea (with many issues of discussion/debate in current events) starts with mental health. For a theme park (or a school for that matter) is a background check enough or should there also be some sort of mental health "check". And would that be enough?

Obi

Florida has open case searches to the general public. Disney has literally thousands of cases filed against them and I have yet to find anything related to sexual abuse of a child. If anything was ever filed it will be there for all to see, it can't be covered up or hidden no matter what anyone will ignorantly say.
what I meant before, which I may have worded it poorly, is that chances are abuse has happened on property but was not caught or reported. More than likely someone, not a Disney employee, abused a child in a resort room. However, I think it was here that I read a Disney cruise employee got busted but couldn't do anything about it because of international waters or something? Can't fully remember that one.

here are some helpful tips to be more protective of your kids.
1. Keep your eyes on them as much as possible, especially out in crowds. It only takes a split second / turn of the head and your child can be snatched up.
2. Have a trusting and respectful relationship with your child. They need to know they can talk to you and be believed.
3. Teach them what is appropriate touching and what is not appropriate touching. Especially with relatives, friends and so on since abuse happens most often by a person the child trusts.
4. Get to know your child. Believe in them. Let them know it is safe to talk to you. Take an interest in them. If they come up to you, stop and pay attention to them. This builds a trusting relationship. Predators / abusers mostly prey on the kids that are loners, kids with parents that don't pay attention to them and so on. They will often give the child the attention they want.

Obi

1 out of 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by the time they are 18 years old. (Darkness to Light)

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12 and 44% are under age 18. (U.S. Department of Justice)

93% of juvenile sexual
assault victims know their attacker. (U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics)

Girls ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault. (RAINN)

these are the stats....

this is the reason this topic, and others like it, cannot be buried any longer... we need to stand up for the kids everywhere. we need to have discussions to bring out the truths and facts so that more can be done to protect our kids and bring us closer to ending abuse...

1 child that is abused is 1 too many...

please help me, and many others, to speak out on this and end csa.

photomatt

I assume that since they didn't share any data, there are no reports of abuse happening on premises in the parks?

A few years back there were some reports of inappropriate touching at a Disney water park in one of the wave pools. There might have been two or three instances of that. Several years ago I read an article about a sexual assault at a Disney hotel, but it was eventually discovered that the report was false. There was also a report of someone using a camcorder in a restroom, but that was years ago as well. I also know of a well-publicized case involving inappropriate pictures being taken by an adoptive father at Disney resort, but in that case the victim knew her abuser. I suppose I could take the time to find links to the news articles, but it's probably not necessary.

I don't know of any case, since WDW first opened, in which a stranger kidnapped or abused a minor. I think Disney does a remarkable, if not miraculous, job of keeping guests safe.

I also know, from reading several news articles, that Disney routinely trespasses people who appear to be acting inappropriately. They also check sex offender registries and deny entrance to sex offenders. I am not sure how they do it, or what causes a red flag to be waved, but I know they do it. Again, I could find the news stories and post links if I need to.

photomatt

One more thing. WDW fingerprints all new employees before hiring. If you walk into the casting center, the fingerprint room is the first thing you will see on the right hand side. The fingerprints are sent to the FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and to the FBI. The employment agreement states (paraphrasing) that fingerprinting can be done again, at any time, for any reason. I don't think it's legal for them to do this to every cast member in California, but in Florida they can do whatever they want.

tahqa

One more thing. WDW fingerprints all new employees before hiring. If you walk into the casting center, the fingerprint room is the first thing you will see on the right hand side. The fingerprints are sent to the FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and to the FBI. The employment agreement states (paraphrasing) that fingerprinting can be done again, at any time, for any reason. I don't think it's legal for them to do this to every cast member in California, but in Florida they can do whatever they want.

For cast members that work directly with children the fingerprint and background check are done annually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom