Two New VIP Tours Debuting at Walt Disney World

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
OK, let's look at the highest demand attractions, getting to 10 across those 3 parks:
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Star Tours
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Expedition Everest
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
Yes, you could argue for other things like Pan, Pirates, Mansion, Dinosaur, etc but I think that's a reasonable enough list. Assuming an hour of travel time and an hour of eating time (both conservative) It's still a pretty big stretch to hit up a lineup like this in 4 hours.

I'm sure @lentesta could come up with a touringplan to do all this fairly easily in a day, but cramming it all in a 6 hour VIP tour seems extreme.

disney4life2008

The fee gets you a tour guide, transportation between the three parks, essentially a fastpass for the rides included, and lunch.

Interesting to say the least. But, I have always wanted the personal tour guide from the MK - but for some reason, I always feel like I would know more. lol

NearTheEars

I mean, if you had the money to blow, and you are actually treated like a real VIP, then it could be an awesome experience. But even with our AP discount we are in no position to drop $600 on one day.

Dwarful

WOW! That's about all I can say. As soon as I heard about these I thought it sounded like WDWs way to make up lost $$$ on the GAC scam. That is too bad. The more they stick their hand out...the less I want to open the purse strings. lol

rob0519

So what dollar amount constitutes wealthy?

That's the concept of relative. Someone who has little to no savings may think that $100,000 would make them wealthy. Someone with $1,000,000 may think they need $4,000,000 to be wealthy. You said if you only had one day in the park you would pay it and it had nothing to do with wealth. You said paying for this tour had nothing to do with wealth, when in fact every purchase we make has to do with our own personal wealth. In order to take this tour you need to have a wealth of at least the price of a parkhopper ticket and $299 plus tax that you are willing to spend. So from that I assume that you have the wealth to not be worried about spending over $400 for a day in the parks. Other people may not have that amount of disposable money.

peachykeen

While these two tours are new, extremely similar versions of them were "trialed" as DCL excursions when the ships were calling at Port Canaveral from New York and Galveston. A bus would bring the groups (20 people per 2 guides) from the port to MK for the Family tour , where the tour would begin. They did well, so they were developed further into the products you see today. I'm sure there are reviews of them online from DCL passengers. They were split into Families and Thrills back then, also.

Whether or not they are "money grabs," it was demonstrated by the ship excursions that people were willing to pay for the service. Those tours were watched very closely, and the tours announced this week would not be happening if those initial tests hadn't gone well.

BigTxEars

I'm not sure if most of you all are just cheap or just get your kicks by putting down anything WDW comes up with?

This is a VIP tour, if it was ment for everyone it would be a free upgrade on a base ticket. I don't see it as a money grab especially if you are going during a peak season. Give me a day of this to hit 10 of the best rides at WDW, a lunch and transportation to each park so the rest of my trip I can relax and just stroll along and I'm golden.

I realize this isn't for everyone which is fine, it's not suppose to be but for you all to just jump out and say its a money grab and a waste of money for everyone is pretty immature IMO.

Disney has been pay more play more since day one at Disneyland, it still is today.

zl56vq.jpg

How many little kids got "screwed over" because mom and dad could not afford anymore of these "money grab" tickets ?

The term "money grab" is really pretty silly in relations to a business like Disney IMO. The whole concept is a money grab, and a damn fine one at that. But as long as Mickey is not pic-pocketing me then I have no hard feelings when I hand over my money on his terms, and that happens pretty often these days :)

I am not a huge ride hound so this is not for me but more power to those would want to do it :)

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't have a trip planned right now but will seriously consider this the next time I go. I go solo so the tours are a huge draw to me, not only are they interesting and fun but a great way to meet like minded people. The only reservation I have is the price, most of the tours are under $100 which is more easy to justify.

HatboxGhost

Maybe its just me but while that may good for a person who is new to Disney I cant see spending that kind of money especially since my wife and I go at a slower time when there is not that much of a wait and can see all of those rides and then some. Plus we ended up with a free dining plan this trip so food wont be an issue.

HatboxGhost

I have also been saying this for years but how about a Haunted Mansion VIP tour and not just a one time event. Have it be a regular thing and have guests show up early in the morning for a behind the scenes tour with lunch in the all new, just opened, Haunted Mansion restaurant. Ok, so I can dream cant I? :D

merry68

I think it's tragic that TDO is grasping at up charges to pay for MM+. And it appears to be targeted at the "once in a lifetime trip" folks.

I think this will appeal to families who feel overwhelmed with the SillyBand planning and aren't into doing some research on their trip. They can charge it up, feel special and then face the credit card bill because they may not do Disney again.

Not everyone is as savvy as most people on this forum.

I guess we should be happy Disney is giving us these choices while ignoring Capital Expenditures that most guests want. NOT.

SorcererDonald16

I also think this has to be preying on the people who don't know any better, besides the obvious base of people with more money to burn than the average guest. That Family attractions tour especially is just... Yeesh. I can and have done similar days like that and gotten more than that done, aided only by a park hopper and my car to avoid the buses.

If I had extra cash on hand, I would go for a unique experience, like Wild Africa Trek. But I don't think I am the customer base they're aiming for.

I think VIP tours surely have a purpose for those who can afford them, but the disingenuous aspect of some of it, like you can't do something like the Family plan on your own bothers me. In May, I was behind a VIP guide with a family entering the line for Mine Train. The guide starts espousing the wonders of VIP tours and tells them that without them, the average family is only able to ride two, maybe three rides in a given day. I may not have data to prove it, but that has to be a blatant lie. And the poor family looked shocked and then started with the "Wow, this is a really great service, then!" comments. To which the guide happily smiles "It really is!"

56srogers

I agree that how these VIP tours are tagged as Extreme and Family geared can be misleading if the tour does not live up to its title. However it is VIP and not sold prominently as regular park tickets. I guess one can only judge its value by experincing it.

ABQ

The value is really whatever the purchaser gets out of it. I look at it like buying a car. How many BMW 5 series and up or Merc E class cars are sold. Sure, their owners could have bought a pair or Toyota's or Honda's but could afford that extra luxury of the Merc. The Honda would get them to work or the grocery store, but they had the income to buy something they perceive as better, so be it. Is the existence of so called luxury car manufacturing a money grab? I guess... If you say do.... But to each his own.

Disclaimer, I drive a Jeep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom