Flamingo Crossing Hotels

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Permit field today with the South Florida Water Management District for the construction of two hotels at the Flamingo Crossing site.

fc1.JPG

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Whoh. That seems newsworthy!

I'm assuming 3rd party here. Any rumblings as to who is putting hotels in here?

CDavid

Wow - I am shocked! :jawdrop:

Thought this little project was long dead; Very interesting. This would mean two isolated hotels out in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking), which makes me wonder if we might see more announcements soon. Would these hotels be building there if there wasn't anything else coming (shopping, dining, etc.)?

It may also be interesting to see how WDW guests treat these properties, since like Hotel Plaza, they are technically on-property but neither owned nor operated by Disney.

DocMcHulk

Personal wish: I really wish Flamingo Crossing Blvd connected up with the Orange Lake Resort. That would be awesome. But, I am sure there are logistical issues with Orange Lake (needing a maned booth)

AUPr8Hd

General feelings in the hotel industry have moved toward the positive. There is a fair amount of new construction happening across the US. As far as being in the middle of nowhere, sometimes these projects can get a little ahead of the others due to the length of time for construction of these larger hotels.

tl77

According to this map not much of that land is suitable for construction, so they might as well charge rent to which ever hotels/retailers are willing to build over there
WDW-RCID.jpg

COProgressFan

Walgreens has also signed on. So it's 2 Marriott hotels and a Walgreens out in the middle of nowhere.

Interesting. I thought this project was basically dead. Walgreens signed on a few years ago, but that deal must have been contingent on actually getting the hotels built. Would not be surprised to see a couple more tenants in the near future like a restaurant or convenience store.

Still, its in the middle of nowhere. And I still think it's merely a money grab by Disney. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

lazyboy97o

If Disney is smart they should offer some sort of incentive to stay at Flamingo Crossing. At least initially the big draw will be being as close to being in the Walt Disney World 'bubble' without actually staying on property.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When a construction project is truly dead the workers drop what they are doing and just leave.

In the case of Flamingo Crossings, they proceeded at a snails pace and completed the infrastructure (roads, draining, power, etc). That is a pretty clear sign of "wait until the market improves" to finish the project.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Extended stay? What are they going for here?
Townplace Suites isn't "Extended Stay" anymore than an Embassy Suites or Residence Inn. Townplace is a low-end Marriott brand with suites that include a kitchen and, in many cases, bedrooms separate from the living area. Townplace Suites also typically have a number of 2 bedroom, 1-bath, small living room small kitchen units that are geared to families who want a little more space. Quality-wise, these are in the Fairfield/Hampton area -- as cheap as a major brand (Marriot/Hilton) is willing to own up to owning.

Next Big Thing

And 6 years later, 3 tenants! We're cooking with gas now!
Ah, but looks like the joke's on you Mr. Disneyhead. The steve's writeup from 2007 mentions an opening in phases over "the next 8-10 years". HA! That line right there should've warned all of us back then that they'd be in this very situation with this project.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If Disney is smart they should offer some sort of incentive to stay at Flamingo Crossing. At least initially the big draw will be being as close to being in the Walt Disney World 'bubble' without actually staying on property.
If these hotels are coming, suspect Disney has already negotiated whatever incentive they are willing to give. Maybe transportation (direct bus to DAK makes the most sense, and then transfer from there), but I doubt much more. These are third party hotels that happen to be located on Disney property.

lazyboy97o

If these hotels are coming, suspect Disney has already negotiated whatever incentive they are willing to give. Maybe transportation (direct bus to DAK makes the most sense, and then transfer from there), but I doubt much more. These are third party hotels that happen to be located on Disney property.
Happening to be on Disney property often means higher rent, which would translate to higher room rates.

CDavid

I wouldn't expect any Disney amenities, and certainly not park transportation (unless provided by a third party, as many offsite hotels already do). Remember that these hotels are on Disney property, but located outside the WDW arch which welcomes you to Disney World (and people like to stop in the middle of the road to take a picture of). Many guests likely won't even realize they are technically staying 'in the world', much like Hotel Plaza.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom