Using the AP strategy.....

draybook

Original Poster
Ok, so I've been tinkering with the idea of getting one AP for Universal for the hotel discount and just paying oop for the remaining three tickets. Anyone think it's a better strategy to go this route?

BigTxEars

Not sure about Uni but we did the same thing as Sea World in San Antonio to get the perks. Bought one season pass and the rest we bought fun cards which were basically season passes without the perks. Worked out fine. I would imagine it would at Uni as well.

draybook

Original Poster
Well, it seems that it depends on the AP discounts, which haven't been released for September yet. Comparing AP vs no AP, the no-AP route is about $30 cheaper as of right now. Now, if the AP rates are released and meet the 40%-46% that I've been reading about, it will be a no brainer.

danpam1024

we do one premium AP (for the highest discount) and 2 preferred passes- it is a no-brainer depending on how long your stay will be.

draybook

Original Poster
we do one premium AP (for the highest discount) and 2 preferred passes- it is a no-brainer depending on how long your stay will be.

Only 3 days, but we'd be returning next year. I just can't find any examples or quotes on how much the discount would be at Port Royal.

danpam1024

Only 3 days, but we'd be returning next year. I just can't find any examples or quotes on how much the discount would be at Port Royal.
since you'll be there in Sept- maybe a power pass would work for you guys too. I was kinda hoping for a PH discount but thanks to Diagon Alley looks like it isn't gonna happen. I think you can safely budget 30% off

fosse76

Well, it seems that it depends on the AP discounts, which haven't been released for September yet. Comparing AP vs no AP, the no-AP route is about $30 cheaper as of right now. Now, if the AP rates are released and meet the 40%-46% that I've been reading about, it will be a no brainer.
Well don't forget, as an AP holder you also get discounts on merchandise, dining, and theme park tickets, so you definitely save more than just on the on-site hotels.

Stephen9871

Just wanted to let you know that AP rates are available for Sept. I'll be there Sept. 7 - 10 @ RPR, and the aph rate is $154. It was $206 a couple weeks ago.

I bought the AP for my visit last October so I could get the hotel discount. I also got 15% off of the multi day pass for my partner. Along with the discount on merchandise and food, I think the ticket has already paid for itself. I'm just glad to get a second use out of it before it expires.

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
Just wanted to let you know that AP rates are available for Sept. I'll be there Sept. 7 - 10 @ RPR, and the aph rate is $154. It was $206 a couple weeks ago.

I bought the AP for my visit last October so I could get the hotel discount. I also got 15% off of the multi day pass for my partner. Along with the discount on merchandise and food, I think the ticket has already paid for itself. I'm just glad to get a second use out of it before it expires.

Where did you go to see that? I checked and didn't see the APH category.

Stephen9871

Loewshotels.com

Under Online Reservations, select the resort you are interested in as well as dates and occupancy. Type APH in the code box. It should bring it up for you.

Book your Room
Rate Selection Booking Details Confirmation
Booking Details
1 Room(s), 3 Night(s)Check-in: Sun Sep 07, 2014 Check-out: Wed Sep 10, 2014 Guests: 2 Adult(s), no Kids HotelLoews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando®
6300 Hollywood Way
Orlando, FL, 32819
Phone: (888) 430-4999
Fax: (407) 503-3010 Currency : USD CAD
Standard 2 Queen Room Average Rate Per Night: $154.00
Standard 2 Queen Room Room Description:

Enjoy 335 square feet of tropical paradise in one of these inviting standard guest rooms. Each room offers two queen beds and all of the modern amenities.

View All Rates
Annual Passholder Special
Special rates for Annual Passholders. Must present valid Annual Pass at check-in. Not combinable with other offers/discounts.
Rate Info

Average Rate Per Night: $154.00
BOOK NOW

Average Rate Per Night: ~161.70CAD i
Standard King Room Average Rate Per Night: $154.00
Standard King Room Room Description:

Enjoy 335 square feet of tropical paradise in one of these inviting standard guest rooms. Each room offers one king bed and all of the modern amenities.

View All Rates
Special rates for Annual Passholders. Must present valid Annual Pass at check-in. Not combinable with other offers/discounts.
Rate Info

BOOK NOW

danpam1024

Loewshotels.com

Under Online Reservations, select the resort you are interested in as well as dates and occupancy. Type APH in the code box. It should bring it up for you.

Book your Room
Rate Selection Booking Details Confirmation
Booking Details
1 Room(s), 3 Night(s)Check-in: Sun Sep 07, 2014 Check-out: Wed Sep 10, 2014 Guests: 2 Adult(s), no Kids HotelLoews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando®
6300 Hollywood Way
Orlando, FL, 32819
Phone: (888) 430-4999
Fax: (407) 503-3010 Currency : USD CAD
Standard 2 Queen Room Average Rate Per Night: $154.00
Standard 2 Queen Room Room Description:

Enjoy 335 square feet of tropical paradise in one of these inviting standard guest rooms. Each room offers two queen beds and all of the modern amenities.

View All Rates
Rate Info

BOOK NOW

Average Rate Per Night: ~161.70CAD i
Standard King Room Average Rate Per Night: $154.00
Standard King Room Room Description:

Enjoy 335 square feet of tropical paradise in one of these inviting standard guest rooms. Each room offers one king bed and all of the modern amenities.

View All Rates
Rate Info

BOOK NOW
I think these are regular rates. APH rates are not released yet and rack is $154

draybook

Original Poster
I think these are regular rates. APH rates are not released yet and rack is $154

I think he's right, because before I typed in APH in the code, it was like $218 a night. Now it's $177, nice little savings.

AP rate:
APH_zpsb54de7c1.png

Regular rate:
Uni_zps1a2e428f.png

That's $40 per night in savings plus whatever the savings is for buying the other three tickets via AP discount and merch/whatever else. Yeah, I foresee an AP in our future, especially since we can book the hotel and not have the AP at the time of booking. That works great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom