Walt Disney World theme park parking fees set to rise tomorrow

Lucky

Yes, there is a sidewalk the complete distance from Blizzard Beach to Coronado Springs. There is also a sidewalk the other direction, past McDonald's connecting to each of the All-Star Resorts.
I was referring to the walk from the main street up to the water park parking lots. That's a good distance of walking in the street or through vegetation.

DisLuver

I plan on being offsite from December 21 to January 10 with a family of 6. We all have 10 day MYW tickets and had considered upgrading at least one of the tickets to AP for the free parking. Now, it's very likely that I will do it.
Cost of 10 day MYW ticket: $377.01 (current, assuming base since you didn't mention anything)
Cost of AP: $675.21
Difference: $298.20
10 days of parking: $170 (since you only have 10 day tickets)
Savings for upgrade: NEGATIVE $128.20

crispy

It's strange that I NEVER hear anyone I know talk about Avatar. Everyone I know that goes to WDW on a regular basis has no interest in it whatsoever. Never see Avatar posters, tshirts or ads about it anywhere. What gives?

I think it's because the only two people who care about Avatar are Bob Iger and James Cameron. Everyone else in the world would rather see Star Wars being built.

Mr Wizard

I have always felt that making you pay for parking when you are a "captive audience" ( by that I mean when there is no other realistic place to park for free ) is just downright greedy. Be it Disney or anyone else. Even building it into another cost is better than charging a separate fee.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Always stay on property...so...meh. Doesn't really affect me at all. But as someone else said...it's giving people another reason to stay on property.

I know some people who are pretty upset by this...and they have the financial means to stay on property...they just prefer not too...I couldn't do Disney off property. I go to the world to get AWAY from "off property" it's nice knowing for one week I can pretty much forget about any of the hassles of the outside world. The most driving I have to do is if we have a dinner reservation at a different resort. I love it for those reasons.

Slowjack

Not that I in any way condone parking-fee evasion...but has anyone else noticed that lot CMs don't scan magic bands? I'm assuming it's just a time efficiency thing, since getting one of those bands to scan is often like coaxing a toddler to eat broccoli. So once you have a magic band, you can get waved-through for life. Again, I wouldn't do this, but that's me. I have to wonder about the general population, though, with increases like these that are multiples of the general inflation rate.

BigTxEars

I think it's because the only two people who care about Avatar are Bob Iger and James Cameron. Everyone else in the world would rather see Star Wars being built.

It would be a safer bet for sure.

I think if they do it right Avatar can be great, I am not a fan of the movie so I am not sure what "right" is but I will know it when I see it, or not!

cw1982

This is not true given our progressive tax system that provides a windfall to the destitute via tax refunds. This is why Disney has been able to get away with all the price hikes and keep the parks full. Disney knows that the poor are not financially responsible and will continue to pay these prices. Once our tax system returns to normalcy, the poor will be taken out of the equation, visitation will decrease and prices will follow suit (or at least not increase like they have over the last 5 years).

The poor are not financially responsible? That's a somewhat harsh generalization. I was unemployed for about six months last year and made every effort to be as "financially responsible" as I could. DH and I rationed out the money I was getting from unemployment (since there was a little overlap between my last few checks as a teacher and the start of my unemployment), and we still actually have a little of this leftover in our safe, thank you very much. I may still have credit card debt, but much of this is actually from before I lost my job as a teacher. I just haven't been able to afford to pay it off yet.

I will admit that we are using our tax refund to pay for our trip, but that's the first time we have ever done something like that... and we have very important reasons for wanting to go now as opposed to waiting a few more years. Go ahead and judge me for that, if you must.

One more thing... in what way do you expect our tax system to return to "normalcy?" And when?

WDWDad13

Cost of 10 day MYW ticket: $377.01 (current, assuming base since you didn't mention anything)
Cost of AP: $675.21
Difference: $298.20
10 days of parking: $170 (since you only have 10 day tickets)
Savings for upgrade: NEGATIVE $128.20

Did you factor in park hoppers for those 10 day tickets?

PrincessNelly_NJ

not sure what recent headline attractions you are talking about at Universal...Harry Potter is at least 4 years old and all they are adding is more stores and gift shops. Disney built and is still building a new fantasyland with 1 major ride (dwarfs), shows, major lunch and dinner destinations (beauty and beast), family rides (mermaid)..try getting your kids out of dumbos circus play tent...they just built 1 brand new vacation club resort and started a new one, there's Avatar land, and possibly star wars land at the studios...and like it or not they created those bracelets that let you go to the pool, or waterpark and have a waterproof wallet right on your wrist..no sticking your wallet in your shoe or walking a mile to the locker to get it to eat...not sure what you want exactly but you have to at least be happy with one of those additions

Transformers and Springfield Expansion were done last year.
The London side of Harry Potter is going to be far better than anything in NFL. Not to mention they are making some changes to the original Harry Potter side in IOA.
They are just about finished Cabana Bay Beach Resort, which looks amazing for being a value resort. Last year, they renovated rooms at Portofino Bay to a minion themed suites.
IOA is rumored to be building a King Kong ride and expanding Jurassic Park. (construction has already began.) Also adding a new ride to Seuss Landing as well.
There is also rumors than a new water park could be coming to Universal as well.
CityWalk was just given a ton of new restaurants with more to come.

DisLuver

Did you factor in park hoppers for those 10 day tickets?
No, as stated, I assumed base tickets because having any type of options--hopping, water park, no enough expiration-- was mentioned. Yes, hopping is included in an AP, but since "park hoppers" weren't mentioned, it can be assumed they don't have it and the one person with an AP isn't likely to hop without the rest of their party.

ryguy

Parking, resort, and Baggage fees are like money trees. Huge profit margins with little to no effort by the respective company. Pretty much free money.

TheRabbit

From the Disney water parks you can get a bus to any resort, transferring there to reach the theme parks, just as easily as people do so from Downtown Disney. Blizzard Beach to Coronado Springs is even walkable, though its a bit of a hike, for more direct theme park access.
Or just go park free at any resort and gain FREE access to any theme park.

BigTxEars

Transformers and Springfield Expansion were done last year.
The London side of Harry Potter is going to be far better than anything in NFL. Not to mention they are making some changes to the original Harry Potter side in IOA.
They are just about finished Cabana Bay Beach Resort, which looks amazing for being a value resort. Last year, they renovated rooms at Portofino Bay to a minion themed suites.
IOA is rumored to be building a King Kong ride and expanding Jurassic Park. (construction has already began.) Also adding a new ride to Seuss Landing as well.
There is also rumors than a new water park could be coming to Universal as well.
CityWalk was just given a ton of new restaurants with more to come.

Uni runs a great park but the two of them can not hold attention for a full week we found out last year. Seven days at Uni is just too long IMO. Seven days at WDW is not IMO. :)

It's all subjective and up to personal preference on which set of parks is best. I am a WDW guy who likes Uni but loves WDW. Well I do love Ripsaw Falls :)

roj2323

Yeah...it costs so much to staff a parking lot (especially considering they must hire people with a Masters Degree in parking science). And the upkeep is horrendous.

Can you smell the sarcasm? I thought you might.

If you consider that every 5-7 years the lots need to be repaved and keep in mind they have some of the largest parking lots in the world then add in the trams and the cost of maintenance, re-striping and sealcoating the lots every 2 years, maintenance on the drainage / water retention systems in addition to staffing and cleaning, expenses do add up. Now i'll agree they do make a profit but it is a justifiable one considering the millions in maintenance costs per year. Additionally part of that profit goes towards maintaing the feeder roads.

I understand your sarcasm, I just think it's unjustified.

BigTxEars

Parking should be free for everybody.

I would not argue with that but it's not free at places like parks, sporting events, concerts, even some shopping trips to malls etc. Just a cost of going to one of these places these days. Like I posted earlier Uni charges to park at the hotels on property.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom