Casey's Corner closing for lengthy refurbishment in the new year

DManRightHere

Aw man. I liked the bleachers. I wonder that the deal is with the bars on the walls? Like they were going to go with bar stools on the walls and used the bistro type tables and chairs instead or are they expecting peoe to stand in there to eat? I would had thought they would use more efficient seating but the refurb would look better this way.

SoupBone

It's ashame they had to lose that baseball character completely to increase capacity :( Sure there is stuff on the walls... but sure has seemed to lose it's identity in this.

I mean... 10 years from now who is going to say "what was the name of that place with the red and white chairs again???"

You aren't alone in this thinking. How many seats did removing the bleachers add? The bleachers themselves could usually sit 6 people. Granted it wasn't comfortable, but neither are those tiny chairs it's been replaced with. As far as its identity, it now looks like a generic baseball theme, and not a nod to "Casey at the Bat".

jlsHouston

Well....we always kind of liked the benches and the movie screen...I guess I agree additional seating was needed at Casey's..just kind of sad the to see the baseball stuff go and the venue change so dramatically..I mean baseball and hot dogs...it was practically perfect

Bairstow

To be honest, I never thought the baseball theme was that engaging. The piano here was always the star of the show.
I still haven't eaten there, now that I think about it.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Has anyone noticed that the indoor set up is for an obvious photo shoot? The tables and chairs in the corner are blocking two doorways. One of them actually opens into the eating area. (you can see the hydraulic dampening box mounted on the door inside of the room). It looks like seating capacity will be just a tad less than pictured.
I believe those are just emergency access...if they were to be used, there would be windows in them.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Well....we always kind of liked the benches and the movie screen...I guess I agree additional seating was needed at Casey's..just kind of sad the to see the baseball stuff go and the venue change so dramatically..I mean baseball and hot dogs...it was practically perfect
It appears that there is actually more baseball references and memorabilia on the walls now. The bleachers never really worked and while the screen was kind of neat, IMO it was in a bad spot (although there is that great big blank wall-maybe it's being moved there).

jlsHouston

To be honest, I never thought the baseball theme was that engaging. The piano here was always the star of the show.
I still haven't eaten there, now that I think about it.
:eek: You haven't had a dog from Casey's ? OMG we are totally hot dog people. One of my most fav episodes of diners drive ins and dives is the episode where they are eating hot dogs in Chicago and NYC and the Carolinas and Denver...and no they never made it to WDW to include Casey's :(

jensenrick

I am very glad that they are adding outdoor seating to Casey's. My Mom and Aunt and I had a very nice time sitting there, having some snacks from the Adventureland egg roll wagon and watching the fireworks. But those seats were highly prized, and zealously guarded. A CM was trying to subtlely get Mom and Aunt to vacate what looked like an empty table when I fortunately showed up at that second with the food.
But I sure hope the refurb tackles the terrible smell in the building. That's the reason I've only had a hot dog from Casey's when someone else goes inside to get it.
Couldn't care less about the bleachers, because they are inside where the stink is. The few times I've gone thru has been running.

828tnt

put me down for much more dislike than like. too much of the subtle disney nuances seem to be disappearing over the past few years...

it was only a small wooden bleacher and movie screen, but "getting lost" in the parks is by far my favorite past time.

is it possible that having a seat will make you enjoy your $18 of hot dog, cracker jacks and a soda more or just justify the price? now it's a sit down restaurant ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't even know there was bleachers and a movie screen and I ate here last visit. Wow, I'm oblivious sometimes!

People complained when seating was taken away from Main Street Bakery and now people complain when seating is added to Casey's. Can't win 'em all, Disney.

Because in both cases... it wasn't the seating (or lack of) that was at the core of the complaints. It was Disney changing the character of the location.

-em

Its mixed emotion seeing the removal of the bleachers- I liked seeing them but yet they were impractical- II think the seating is much more the way to go (esp when casey's seems to sell more 'loaded hot dogs' that balancing on one's lap just ends up a mess)

Soo glad they replaced the tile though- it was getting so disgusting..

Dads 2 Boys

Its mixed emotion seeing the removal of the bleachers- I liked seeing them but yet they were impractical- II think the seating is much more the way to go (esp when casey's seems to sell more 'loaded hot dogs' that balancing on one's lap just ends up a mess)

Soo glad they replaced the tile though- it was getting so disgusting..

Agreed......I love the feel to it but there were 5 seats to sit down to eat (being sarcastic everyone....go easy). Definitely will help keep people off having to sit on the curbs to eat.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Once again Disney removes something special to make way for something generic, in this case more seating.....because somehow this was too big of a issue just now....after 40 years of operation?

What about those other eateries that are closed constantly? Why not open those year-round? That's how you alleviate crowd issues.

asianway

Once again Disney removes something special to make way for something generic, in this case more seating.....because somehow this was too big of a issue just now....after 40 years of operation?

What about those other eateries that are closed constantly? Why not open those year-round? That's how you alleviate crowd issues.
Were the bleachers there while it was Refreshment Corner? I always got my dogs - foot longs - at the cart on center street

Rob562

Were the bleachers there while it was Refreshment Corner? I always got my dogs - foot longs - at the cart on center street

The layout of the stores shown on the Main Street map on this page implies that the back corner of Casey's was part of the Penny Arcade, not Refreshment Corner.

http://www.yesterland.com/wdw1973.html

Casey's opened in mid-1995, so the bleachers most likely went in then with the re-theme.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom