The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, y'all may have noticed I haven't been around much of late.

That is either because I was off-continent for six weeks for my Faux Top One Percent Spirited Winter Holiday Abroad if you live in reality or because I was forced to work OT at the Walmart and just got the 'net reconnected in Mom's basement if you live in delusion.

Anyway, I have debated starting this because there isn't a whole lot of news to share right now. But then I gave a read of the top 10-15 threads on this board and see that hasn't stopped anyone here and I would like to add some big picture perspective on everything from what Joe Rohde really thinks of creating Pandora in the Swamps to what was behind Michael Eisner's recent Tweets from China to an unannounced (but happening anyway) attraction for HKDL to a possible delay in the Snow White kiddie coaster's debut (and another train is having some slow issues up the road too!) to a comparison of the operational 'issues' facing DLP and how they compare (and don't) to WDW's to how Disney markets/sells its BRAND in France and Germany versus the USA to some movie and TV thoughts as well (DM2 was not all that ... and can someone tell me why MARVEL'S Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is still on?)

Frankly, I think that's all a whole lot more interesting than reading the same arguments over and over again. All opinions are welcome, but I'd appreciate it if they were on the topics being discussed and not my value as a human being.

One other note before we get started ... OK ... two ... first congrats to the Seattle Seahawks and their 'special' fan @Lee and second, if you take at least one Disney related trip every month or two and then blog about it or Tweet about it, well, you ARE a Lifestyler.

With that said, put on your saddles and let's go riding ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
First topic, since folks have been arguing about it elsewhere here and since it most definitely revolves around WDW, JR and the blue alien kittens.

Does Joe like James Cameron? Not a fair question. Does anyone who has worked with the man?

How about does Joe like having Pandora built in his park? Kinda-Sorta.

You must understand this: after Tony Baxter got axed Joe Rohde's salary immediately placed him at the top of the creatives in Glendale that actually work (leaving Bruce and Craig out of this as they are management). Joe had nothing on his plate after the Shangri-la/Night Kingdom boutique park was killed in 2008. That's why, along with his love and familiarity with the islands, Joe was sent to finish up work on Aulani, which was a good 80% designed and ready when it fell into his portfolio. It was viewed by some as his last project before he'd 'decide' to retire the same way Tony did.

This is not the project Joe would have ever chosen for this park. And, yes, I do know the man even if we haven't spoken in quite a while. BUT ... this is a project that keeps him employed at a very nice salary likely through the next four years. And it is something that has the potential to be quite nice, although way too little to compete with the aggressive UNI and way too late, and can be made to fit in said park quite nicely.

So, with all those caveats in mind, Joe absolutely is in love with creating the world of Pandora. And I'm sure he is thrilled about things like the new night spectacular and night safaris as well.

BTW, toughest thing for an American to get used to in Europe: no free refills on soda at most places (a few exceptions including a few at DLP!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Very happy to have back in these parts!

But I have a pressing question. Why does an English major like Michael write tweets like a 15 year old girl?

I find Twitter in general to be very difficult to follow. I think it's great for 15-year-olds who text 196 times a day. But when I see folks attempting to converse in the Twitverse?

And, advice for MAGIC haters and generally IQ-challenged folks in love with the BRAND above all: when you attempt to schedule a 'session' with your personal Wonder Woman through Twitter, we can all see it ... just like the hate you spew.

As to Michael's tweet style ... no answer. But I'd love to have drinks with the man and ask him (yes, I would ask!)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I find Twitter in general to be very difficult to follow. I think it's great for 15-year-olds who text 196 times a day. But when I see folks attempting to converse in the Twitverse?

And, advice for MAGIC haters and IQ-challenged folks in love with the BRAND above all: when you attempt to schedule a 'session' with your personal Wonder Woman through Twitter, we can all see it ... just like the hate you spew.

As to Michael's tweet style ... no answer. But I'd love to have drinks with the man and ask him (yes, I would ask!)
Some love just can't be held back by the bounds of the interwebs....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking of Michael, I find it rather amusing and typical of the fan community to miss what is right in front of them.

Look, I realize that the vast majority of folks even in an intelligent forum like this one have very little understanding of how huge media companies work. But sometimes ... well, you need to look deeper.

How many times has Bob Iger been photographed on-site at SDL? Anyone?

Don't say the groundbreaking because that bizarre 'event' was held in a hotel ballroom that was far from the site.

So, again, where's pics of Bob touring the biggest concrete piece of Mich ...his legacy?

If you find me one, then you're better playing with this new-fangled Internet thing than I am. And I don't think, as someone VERY familiar with working on huge projects in China, that it is accidental. Frankly, I think Bob hasn't been seen there because he either hasn't been invited or he's been asked to not publicize his visits.

ME on the other hand walks in to meet with Bob Weis and the team building the place and then Tweets a photo of the Tron Light Cycle coaster (you know, the one myself and others have told you was being built for years now) in the background. A photo like that says so much. It doesn't say that Michael is proud of The Weatherman. It says ''I opened China. I paved the way for this. I can do as I please as a citizen and oh ... you didn't announce this ride? Oopsy!''

Nobody in the building with the Dwarfs holding it up (publically) were happy by Michael's little 'PR stunt' ... but you better believe it got attention, which was the purpose.

Much like Michael's tweets from HKDL like a proud papa. Everyone criticized (me included) the park's opening day roster after the budget hammer removed 60% of what was supposed to be built on Lantau. But now, 18 months shy of the park being open a decade (and with design work well under way for a third resort hotel that will be announced very shortly), the park is a jewel and strong enough to stand on its own. Michael just wants Bob and Co to understand who was responsible and why things are the way they are.

Even standing next to Woody at the entrance to Toy Story Land, Michael was sending a not so subtle message to John Lasseter that ''I made you. Do not forget that.''

I love Hollywood politics.

Much better than D.C. or even FLA politics!

WDW1974

Original Poster
DM2 was a huge disappointment. SHIELD finally got good the last episode before hiatus. Even with the pandering, throw away Bucky Barnes line, it finally felt like it was going somewhere. The characters started getting some depth, and for once I wanted to watch the next episode. Far better than the Coulson non-reveal.

I agree on DM2. It was the first of many films I caught up on ... and it lacked much of the heart and Spirit of the first film. I know a lot of UNI fanbois liked to rub Disney's noses in it (which seems a tad absurd considering what Monsters U finished with and what Frozen is still pulling in), but it simply was a very bland film.

I have no comments on SHIELD since I stopped watching about five episodes into the season. I think @Lee may still be watching if Mrs. Lee lets him.

asianway

So, y'all may have noticed I haven't been around much of late.

That is either because I was off-continent for six weeks for my Faux Top One Percent Spirited Winter Holiday Abroad if you live in reality or because I was forced to work OT at the Walmart and just got the 'net reconnected in Mom's basement if you live in delusion.

Anyway, I have debated starting this because there isn't a whole lot of news to share right now. But then I gave a read of the top 10-15 threads on this board and see that hasn't stopped anyone here and I would like to add some big picture perspective on everything from what Joe Rohde really thinks of creating Pandora in the Swamps to what was behind Michael Eisner's recent Tweets from China to an unannounced (but happening anyway) attraction for HKDL to a possible delay in the Snow White kiddie coaster's debut (and another train is having some slow issues up the road too!) to a comparison of the operational 'issues' facing DLP and how they compare (and don't) to WDW's to how Disney markets/sells its BRAND in France and Germany versus the USA to some movie and TV thoughts as well (DM2 was not all that ... and can someone tell me why MARVEL'S Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is still on?)

Frankly, I think that's all a whole lot more interesting than reading the same arguments over and over again. All opinions are welcome, but I'd appreciate it if they were on the topics being discussed and not my value as a human being.

One other note before we get started ... OK ... two ... first congrats to the Seattle Seahawks and their 'special' fan @Lee and second, if you take at least one Disney related trip every month or two and then blog about it or Tweet about it, well, you ARE a Lifestyler.

With that said, put on your saddles and let's go riding ...
Ok so as long as I don't blog about it I haven't crossed the line. GTK

WDW1974

Original Poster
There was a rumor floating around about the swinging cards having a problem as they went into the unload area. Is this what you had heard?

That is part of what I have heard, yes.

But I have been out of the O-Town loop for a bit ... and, let's face it, O-Town is quite loopy to begin with.

As I spent much of my holidays abroad with a special someone (we'll call her 'Angie M.' here), we often walked into town through a REAL medieval castle and all I could think about was how crazy folks get over a fake fiberglass girlie castle at the MK. It doesn't even have a kewl dragon in the dungeon like DLP does!

Back to the original topic ... all I can say right now is that both the MK coaster and the Hogwart's Express have fallen quite behind schedule and that is why neither Disney or UNI will come close to giving opening dates out yet. I believe they'll both be open by early summer ... BUT we shall see ...

stevehousse

Glad your back! Can't wait to hear what all u have for us to discuss!

I actually do still watch SHIELD, it's ok, nothing special. At least ABC is keeping it around to see what kind of viewership it can garner, rather than going the FOX route and canceling new shows 2 episodes in for "low ratings" ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok so as long as I don't blog about it I haven't crossed the line. GTK

I probably shouldn't talk since I have plans for multiple DCL voyages as well as visits to DLR and TDR on my agenda for the rest of the year ... and I'll certainly visit WDW a few times and UNI as well ... but I don't blog or tweet about it and I don't live it 24/7 (although for matters of full disclosure I am typing this while wearing a DL tee) but I get the feeling that for many Disney lovers life is what they kill in between giving Bob Iger their money.

I was away for six weeks. I spent four days at DLP. The rest of the trip involved touring through France and Germany. I loved all of it. I even felt what single digit weather feels like again for the first time since I was 8 or 9 and did not like it (but did like snow and temps in the 30s and 40s more than a day like today where it is humid and 84 in paradise!)

BTW, while we are talking Lifestylers, heard that one of my faves @WDWFigment took a DCL voyage this weekend. I can't wait to hear about it. Good thing about those is you can stay on deck all night to take pics and don't have to get it arranged by Dr. Blondie in advance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom