Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Katherine

Thought of you today as I was singing silently along with my music and dancing with my shoulders. Love your phrase "sassy running!"
Hahaha... love it! I do it regularly. Generally when I'm training I listen to podcasts so I only look crazy when I start laughing or I make a face to something that was said. #runnerprobs

Hope you had a good run!

FerretAfros

Ugh, why? They seemed to do just fine without the "challenge" component of it this past year. I wonder if they'll hand out retroactive medals for those of us who did both. I was considering doing Tink again simply because the Half is on my birthday next year, but this might complicate things

And maybe I just have a warped view of the world after doing Goofy/Dopey a few times, but is a 10K and a Half really that much of a "challenge"? If you're properly trained to do a Half, a 10K shouldn't be a big deal

Mad Stitch

I'm not surprised. An Avengers or W&D challenge will be next.

And maybe I just have a warped view of the world after doing Goofy/Dopey a few times, but is a 10K and a Half really that much of a "challenge"? If you're properly trained to do a Half, a 10K shouldn't be a big deal

I'm not a fan of the challenges. I'd rather run a half/full and beat my PR than participate in a challenge. If I make my personal challenge to become a better runner and continuously beat my PR, then maybe someday I'll be good enough to qualify for Boston. I'd rather have one Boston medal over a wall full of challenge medals.

Last edited:

Ariel484

Ugh, why?
$$$$$$$$$$

Tink registration starts at $195
10K registration starts at $105
Challenge registration starts at $320

For each challenge spot that replaces an individual spot in those races they make an extra $20 without even increasing each race's capacity. So if there are 5,000 challenge runners, for example, bam - an extra $100,000 (minus the cost of the extra medals/shirts...which we all know can't be that much).

Purely from a money making standpoint, whoever thought up these challenges is a genius.
If you're properly trained to do a Half, a 10K shouldn't be a big deal
I agree.

Texas84

I'm a big fan of the challenges but I'll leave this one for the ladies. :)

But doesn't this also mean potentially more money for the charities? Every runDisney event has one. Not sure how the cut works but they do very well thanks to these events.

dreamfinder

Not at all surprised they added the challenge. I still think they just didn't have it planned out in time for last year. More cash (be it for Disney or the charities) without any real additional work other than making more shirts/medals.

LindsayLoves

Anyone signing up for 2015? I know the new date bugged a lot of people but the addition of a challenge always get people out to run at Disney.

Edit: The weekend is sponsored by Pandora? Interesting.

Ariel484

Anyone signing up for 2015? I know the new date bugged a lot of people but the addition of a challenge always get people out to run at Disney.

Edit: The weekend is sponsored by Pandora? Interesting.
I'd like to do this one someday. I've heard people like the course better than the DLH course, but I just really cannot stand Tink...so that makes me not really want to dive in just yet. :p

Looks like it's filling up fast...shocking!

LindsayLoves

I'd like to do this one someday. I've heard people like the course better than the DLH course, but I just really cannot stand Tink...so that makes me not really want to dive in just yet. :p

Tink is not my favorite either but I am more likely to do this race now that it is not in January.

Open for an hour and its not sold out yet. Here's some things I was thinking about...
- Maybe DL has hit their saturation point for half marathons? This opened up after Avengers and Star Wars people might have opted for those instead of this one.
- Is there a shift away from the women's themed races?
- Are people really that ed about running on Mother's Day? I get the whole take your family on vacation for the weekend for this race and watch mommy run thing but apparently this race brought in a lot of females traveling with friends and leaving the kids/spouse at home. But I am also the kind of person who would love to run a big race on their birthday, I am guessing most people want to take it easy/be pampered on this day.

FerretAfros

I swore I was going to be one-and-done with Tink and the January DLR weekend. Yet here I am registered again for both. *sigh* It works nicely for me, since the Tink Half is now on my birthday (so I can do some celebrating) and it's over Mother's Day so I can visit my grandma that weekend. Somehow it still feels like Disney tricked me into this!
Tink is not my favorite either but I am more likely to do this race now that it is not in January.

Open for an hour and its not sold out yet. Here's some things I was thinking about...
- Maybe DL has hit their saturation point for half marathons? This opened up after Avengers and Star Wars people might have opted for those instead of this one.
- Is there a shift away from the women's themed races?
- Are people really that ed about running on Mother's Day? I get the whole take your family on vacation for the weekend for this race and watch mommy run thing but apparently this race brought in a lot of females traveling with friends and leaving the kids/spouse at home. But I am also the kind of person who would love to run a big race on their birthday, I am guessing most people want to take it easy/be pampered on this day.
I would think that DLR may have hit the saturation point. I know that the locals there fawn over anything special or exclusive, and having 4 race weekends may take away some of the specialness. Plus, there are now (roughly) 4 times as many registration slots as there were a couple years ago

If the recent Princess registration indicates anything, I don't think the women-centric races are done yet. They've always filled a little slower than the flagship weekends, so I don't think there's too much to be concerned about yet. Last year's Tink 10K still had plenty of space available after the DL1/2 races (I didn't register for it until after having such a great time on the DL10K course)

Perhaps people are less inclined to run on Mother's Day, but with the huge number of locals/semi-locals at the DLR races I think it would be less of a concern. As a single guy I may be completely off-base here, but it seems like it would be fairly easy for a family to reschedule their Mother's Day plans to a different weekend, since it's not really tied to a specific date (like a birthday) or government/school holiday. My family always gave it some leeway, but that may have also been since my birthday is always right around then

Ariel484

@LindsayLoves - first of all I think it's funny that runDisney has conditioned us to think, "wow, it's not sold out yet!" when it's been just under 2 hours. :p They are truly messing with our brains.

Of course, it's been an hour since I posted that last update and the Pixie Dust Challenge still seems to be sitting at 80%, so you may be on to something...

ETA: Looked back at the Princess Half thread and this year's Glass Slipper Challenge sold out in less than 2 hours. So far the Pixie Dust Challenge doesn't seem quite as popular.
Maybe DL has hit their saturation point for half marathons? This opened up after Avengers and Star Wars people might have opted for those instead of this one.
I'm thinking this is possible. I think I remember reading about people who'd registered for Avengers and were then upset that Star Wars was announced afterward...as they didn't want to do both. I was surprised to read that.
Is there a shift away from the women's themed races?
I hope so. For various reasons I am not really a fan of them. :grumpy: Princess Half seems to still be pretty popular though...
Are people really that ed about running on Mother's Day? I get the whole take your family on vacation for the weekend for this race and watch mommy run thing but apparently this race brought in a lot of females traveling with friends and leaving the kids/spouse at home. But I am also the kind of person who would love to run a big race on their birthday, I am guessing most people want to take it easy/be pampered on this day.
I have no idea. I'm truly not sure if my mom would be hurt if I went to a race weekend on Mother's Day, or if she'd be okay doing it another time. I could see some moms getting their feelings hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom