Meryl Streep Blasts Walt Disney at National Board of Review Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaz10

It's funny that she said that about women. I've heard the anti-Semitic stuff thousands of times but oddly never the women thing (thats to say I really don't research old points of views on 1 man)

My husband always used to joke that Disney (as a company) hated women purely based on the fact that a lot of Disney villains are women. It was totally a joke!

But it's funny now that Meryl is saying that it's a true thing.

AND ITS OK...I DONT TRUST CATS EITHER! :eek:

Nemo14

It's funny that she said that about women. I've heard the anti-Semitic stuff thousands of times but oddly never the women thing (thats to say I really don't research old points of views on 1 man)

My husband always used to joke that Disney (as a company) hated women purely based on the fact that a lot of Disney villains are women. It was totally a joke!

But it's funny now that Meryl is saying that it's a true thing.

AND ITS OK...I DONT TRUST CATS EITHER! :eek:

But that was the prevailing attitude then, he was no different from any other corporate man at the time.

BradyJacobs

Original Poster
Over 400 comments have been posted to the Yahoo article I linked to earlier, and the majority of them defend Walt and what he stood for. Glad to see so many fans out there, even all these years after his death. If there is one person in history I would like to meet and have a conversation with, it would be Walt. I know, I know, I have a problem.

Californian Elitist

Over 400 comments have been posted to the Yahoo article I linked to earlier, and the majority of them defend Walt and what he stood for. Glad to see so many fans out there, even all these years after his death. If there is one person in history I would like to meet and have a conversation with, it would be Walt. I know, I know, I have a problem.

It's not unlikely he was racist. I bet he was. I bet if sheer proof came out he was racist, people would defend him and say "it was a sign of the times." That's no excuse.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's not unlikely he was racist. I bet he was. I bet if sheer proof came out he was racist, people would defend him and say "it was a sign of the times." That's no excuse.

A couple things before I respond to the above....

1. TWDC should part ways with her immediately. Drop any ties they have to her. They won't of course, because TWDC is now simply DISNEY, and they don't seem to give a rat's behind about Walt or his legacy. Except to exploit it.

2. The fact that this is now going to be the story coming out of Saving Mr. Banks is criminal. She is a selfish, self centered moron.

About Walt "probably" being a racist. You condemn the man for something you have no clue about? Why? What are you gaining? You bet he was? What do you bet? Ridiculous.

Californian Elitist

About Walt "probably" being a racist. You condemn the man for something you have no clue about? Why? What are you gaining? You bet he was? What do you bet? Ridiculous.

*sigh* Do you understand the reason I said "bet"? Clearly not. I'm not condemning anyone, I said he may have been racist. I never knew him, which is why I didn't state it as fact. Take a chill pill and re-read my post.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
*sigh* Do you understand the reason I said "bet"? Clearly not. I'm not condemning anyone, I said he may have been racist. I never knew him, which is why I didn't state it as fact. Take a chill pill and re-read my post.

I did read it. First you constructed a straw man. "Walt was probably racist" Then you went ahead and attacked those who would dare defend this racist. Then you said there was no excuse for his racism. I read it.

Californian Elitist

I did read it. First you constructed a straw man. "Walt was probably racist" Then you went ahead and attacked those who would dare defend this racist. Then you said there was no excuse for his racism. I read it.

So what? What's so wrong about saying somebody was probably a certain way? Am I stating it as a fact? NO. Relax. Attacked? I "attacked" no one. Again, relax. You are taking things way out of context.

There's no excuse for any kind of racism, I don't care who it is.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So what? What's so wrong about saying somebody was probably a certain way? Am I stating it as a fact? NO. Relax. Attacked? I "attacked" no one. Again, relax. You are taking things way out of context.

There's no excuse for any kind of racism, I don't care who it is.

I am quite relaxed. I just don't like what you did there. It was pointless and inflammatory. I am taking things exactly as you stated them. Walt was probably a racist. Based on what? People here would defend his racism. Based on what?

Pointless and inflammatory.

Californian Elitist

I am quite relaxed. I just don't like what you did there. It was pointless and inflammatory. I am taking things exactly as you stated them. Walt was probably a racist. Based on what? People here would defend his racism. Based on what?

Pointless and inflammatory.

It was not pointless. Why you're so defensive I what I'm trying to figure out.

Have you seen Dumbo? Fantasia, before it was edited? Mickey and Thursday? Peter Pan? Why do you think Song of the South has never been released on DVD?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It was not pointless. Why you're so defensive I what I'm trying to figure out.

Have you seen Dumbo? Fantasia, before it was edited? Mickey and Thursday? Peter Pan? Why do you think Song of the South has never been released on DVD?

I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom