Disney Christmas Parade! Whats your take?

James122

I normally can't stand Neil Patrick Harris, but I actually thought his opening number was pretty good.

Agree that the magic band stuff was stupid, but I enjoyed all the Darth Vader stuff.

I also agree that all the informercial stuff has gotten way out of hand in recent years, but overall I enjoyed it - the parade always adds a nice touch of Disney magic to our Christmas day!

luv

I'm not a Neil Patrick Harris fan. I didn't watch Doogie and I don't watch that Mother show. I did like him in Cold Sassy Tree...I think that was him, anyway. I don't dislike him, I just don't watch his shows, so am not a fan.

But I loved him for the parade! He was fantastic. It would've been much worse without him. He's funny!!

krash9924

I believe my 5 year old daughter summed it up best about an hour in. Her exact words...Daddy when is the parade going to start. She has been watching the short clips of the toy soldiers training for the parade for the past couple weeks so this was a complete letdown for her. Not sure what demographic Disney was going for but they completely missed the 5 yr old girls. The canned crowd noise was awful and just made Disney look like a lower class product that need more help. Sad day for Disney.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Did they really think people wouldn't notice the canned crowd noise? Who did they hire to sync it up? The janitor? What's sad is I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

The Duck

I think Vader got more airtime than Santa did. I enjoyed the Star Wars additions but the whole parade didnt have much of a Christmas feel at all. I guess theyre being as PC as possible.
What was up with Vader riding on Santa's float? I know that the whole broadcast was heavily scripted for maximum B.S. but are we to believe that the crowd present for the taping were treated to Darth Vader instead of Santa Claus? If I were a parent of young children in the crowd, I would have been royally P.O'd.
Hopefully, he was there for a few moments in front of the camera and then quickly replaced by Santa.

Matt_Black

What was up with Vader riding on Santa's float? I know that the whole broadcast was heavily scripted for maximum B.S. but are we to believe that the crowd present for the taping were treated to Darth Vader instead of Santa Claus? If I were a parent of young children in the crowd, I would have been royally P.O'd.
Hopefully, he was there for a few moments in front of the camera and then quickly replaced by Santa.

I'm betting that in WDW, Santa showed up right behind, they just didn't air it. You'll notice that in the broadcast they staggered the appearances of the characters between WDW and DL, no doubt to preserve the magic. Nothing like spending Christmas morn in the home answering the kids' question of "How can Aladdin be in Florida AND California at the same time?"

Matt_Black

I personally don't understand the appeal either, but then there's a lot about modern culture that I don't get. "Who are these Kardashians, and why should I care about them? What is anyone supposed to like about Glee? They don't even produce any original content? Even the arrangements are ripped off of other people without any credit given! And why do vampires sparkle nowadays?!?"

I just nod and realize that there's a lot of stuff that I'm not the target audience. At night, I close my eyes and wish for more Gargoyles stuff, knowing that might take a good long while. Let the kids have their Duck Dynamos and their True Bloods and such.

asianway

They preserve character integrity now that they do the dual coast thing-that includes Santa. WDW usually has Santa, while DL has been getting the "fake out" - Santa Goofy, Santa Nick, etc. this year they flipped it. Darth was the only one present at the taping it was on all the blogs

janoimagine

We in America don't understand either. My best guess is he's the poor man's Will Smith. But I think even that is giving him way too much credit.

Pact with Satan? I really have no idea.
I am not a Cannon fan at all ... but have to give him credit that he did shack up with Mariah Carrey ... and this was back before she made a fool of herself on American Idol and was popular ... just sayin'. :D

Voxel

President of Progress City
Can someone explain to me how Nick Cannon is even a thing?
Apologies, I'm from Australia and don't really understand...
Many people in America under 30 grew up with Nick Cannon in their life. Many people remember the kids comedy show All That which he got his start in. We remember him in many tv shows and movies that we grew up with. And now that we are the age of parenthood and having kids it uses a person we grew up with to bring back our own childhood memories. As for ahost kids things he is really perfect for if you see him in many of his other material. The Disney parade did not good job showing how well he connects to children. He will always take the time to get on the same level as kids talking to them

northmusic

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m not sure what the need is for celebrities to host the parade anyway. My guess is people might appreciate the parade more if they replaced the “celebrity” hosts with Mickey and Minnie (or other characters). Besides, call me old fashioned, but part of me cringed when I saw a man (who plays a sexual addicted womanizer on TV), host this parade. Thankfully, they didn’t let MC swing down Main Street on her wrecking ball. ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

For the sake of comparison, here's a view from back when it was live. It was much simpler and quaint by today's standards, but somehow more exciting because the parade seemed "real"—like you were really watching something in another city.

Oh geez - so much amazing 80's craziness in this. The Splash Mountain Rap is the most painful/wonderful thing to come out of the Eisner era. I also love how when Joan Lunden takes her kids to see the show in Mickey's Birthdayland they sit in comfy theater seats - that show was a sit-on-the-floor affair and I've got the 8mm video to prove it. And Regis touring MGM - "fooled you didn't I? Movie magic!!" Love it.

And LOL at the shout out from Alan to Robin Thicke at the end. Now he's famous for butt humping Miley Cyrus, whose portrait hangs at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln as a major contributor to the arts in America, right next to Michael Jackson and Lucille Ball.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom