Is this it!????..

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Good Morning..Now we have only stayed at moderate resorts but we always like to check out what other resorts look like,mostly deluxe..I remember walking into the lobby at AKL and my jaw dropped..I loved the layout and the whole concept of design..The same response was at the Wilderness Lodge,again I was overpowered by the sheer beauty of the resort,and especially the lobby area..However when we checked out ( This is where I put on my flak jacket ) The Polynesian, we were wondering what all the fuss was about..The lobby entrance was nice but not jaw dropping, and when we walked onto the white sands to get the boat to MK. I stopped and looked back and thought to myself..Is this it.?...It just didn't do it for me..Now maybe at night when the torches are alight,it takes on a new look,but I just didn't sway me to consider a vacation here..Phew!!...:oops:...There..I've said it...Now over to yourself's...Have you visited a resort to check it out and weren't that over impressed..???:eek:...

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Good Morning..Now we have only stayed at moderate resorts but we always like to check out what other resorts look like,mostly deluxe..I remember walking into the lobby at AKL and my jaw dropped..I loved the layout and the whole concept of design..The same response was at the Wilderness Lodge,again I was overpowered by the sheer beauty of the resort,and especially the lobby area..However when we checked out ( This is where I put on my flak jacket ) The Polynesian, we were wondering what all the fuss was about..The lobby entrance was nice but not jaw dropping, and when we walked onto the white sands to get the boat to MK. I stopped and looked back and thought to myself..Is this it.?...It just didn't do it for me..Now maybe at night when the torches are alight,it takes on a new look,but I just didn't sway me to consider a vacation here..Phew!!...:oops:...There..I've said it...Now over to yourself's...Have you visited a resort to check it out and weren't that over impressed..???:eek:...
Ooooh i have my marshmallows ready for roasting over a flamed hatter :D

NiarrNDisney

Yep and I may be alone on this but I can honestly say that I am just not that into the Contemporary! Maybe its because it's so sterile and reminds me of DIA (Denver International Airport). I feel like staying in the main building would be reminiscent of the Hilton or the Holiday Inn in DTD on Hotel Lane. Plus with the 4th floor Concourse always astir with guests, monorail traffic, diners, etc. etc. I don't think I would find it very restful or relaxing. Maybe if I stayed in the Garden Wing I would have a different experience :cautious:

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Yep and I may be alone on this but I can honestly say that I am just not that into the Contemporary! Maybe its because it's so sterile and reminds me of DIA (Denver International Airport). I feel like staying in the main building would be reminiscent of the Hilton or the Holiday Inn in DTD on Hotel Lane. Plus with the 4th floor Concourse always astir with guests, monorail traffic, diners, etc. etc. I don't think I would find it very restful or relaxing. Maybe if I stayed in the Garden Wing I would have a different experience :cautious:
Totally agree..We had a CG ADR last year and spent some time looking round it..It reminded me of a block of flats in Glasgow..Posh block of flats..:joyfull:

I'm with you...sort of. I LOVE the Contemporary! Everything about it just appeals to me and it's one of the major Disney icons in my mind. However, I have no interest in staying there. I have previously stayed in the Garden Wing, not bad but nothing special (no balcony). I'd like to hangout in a room in the main building, but not stay the night (especially if it were for multiple nights). Noisy, rooms shake due to the monorail, also the rooms aren't worthy of the Deluxe category, IMO. Bay Lake Tower, OTOH.....

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I'm with you...sort of. I LOVE the Contemporary! Everything about it just appeals to me and it's one of the major Disney icons in my mind. However, I have no interest in staying there. I have previously stayed in the Garden Wing, not bad but nothing special (no balcony). I'd like to hangout in a room in the main building, but not stay the night (especially if it were for multiple nights). Noisy, rooms shake due to the monorail, also the rooms aren't worthy of the Deluxe category, IMO. Bay Lake Tower, OTOH.....
Good old Disney..Thinks of everything..Monorail shaking rooms available at Contemporary at no extra cost.:joyfull:

DisneyDebNJ

We love the Poly and yes, at night there is a nice feel, and very relaxing. We do ADRs at the other deluxes, even stayed at the GF and Contemporary. We loved the Contemporary way back in the day, but wouldn't stay there again. Too much of a *convention hotel* feel to it for us

jkl2000

The only two WDW resorts I've stayed at are the Contemporary and the Polynesian. Back in the '70s, the Contemporary was a really cool place to stay if you were a teenage boy - it felt like being in the movie Logan's Run. Remember, back then this is what people thought all buildings were going to look like in the future.

We stayed at the Poly in 2000, and liked it a lot. It doesn't go overboard in it's theming - it's like staying at a Polynesian resort. It really did feel like our vacation was 1/2 WDW, and 1/2 enjoying a tropical resort. I think the Poly takes advantage of the Florida environment (tropical weather, palm trees, etc.) without, as I said, going overboard. If I was a local, I'm sure it wouldn't impress me. But as someone who used to go to Miami a lot as a kid, but doesn't since the mid-80s, it was fun to be back in that kind of environment.

LuLaSue

I sooooo AGREE!!

fbp

I've posted this before about my feelings about the Poly, but I'll post it again:

It has a certain 'je ne sais qoui'.

The Poly captures this feeling of a young newly married couple from the '50's or '60's full of optimism and looking forward to the adventure and pleasures of life.

Vader2112

Hatter I agree with you here. I know that people love the Poly and I can understand why they they do it is a pretty hotel; however, for me the Poly is a bit dated in a Brady's go to Hawaii sort of way. Altough having Dole Whips on premises (Captain Cooks) that I can load with the adult beverage of my choosing is fantastic.. OK FOrget what I said Poly RULES

Dog Ate Mouse

Let's forget about the Poly for a moment, You see I have stayed and visited various resorts in WDW and had some of those Jaw dropping experiences and others I did not. The Wilderness Logde was one of those moments and the Animal Kingdom lodge was to. Okay so there are a few jaw dropping Resorts for me. Now I have been in the Contemporary and when you first look at it from the outside it was nothing much. But on the inside is was quite nice and gave me a happy feeling. I ate at Chef Mickey's and shopped at their gift shop and taken Fishing Excusions from it's dock. The Contemporary grew on me. The Poly is pretty cool and I thought the theming and feel was pleasent, layed back and fit with the beach and water. Love the lush plants and water in the lobby. Now CSR is not my favorite place, but I have a few things about it that made my stay pleasent and enjoyable. The pool with the Ruin is awesome, drinks when you want them and staying at the Casita's is the way to go. So what is my point here. My point that there is a resort for almost everyones's taste and feel. Just like in real life what you like some one will think not for me, bland so-so and so on. So this holds true with the Resorts as well. Now my favorite resort that I always can afford is PORS, when I can afford extra we stay at the Wilderness lodge. My DW has expressed interest in staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge next. We both loved the decor and theme and felt so comfotable and emerged in it's details and beauty. Now we may finally stay there and not like it as much as the Wilderness Lodge. But that is what life is about, We gave it a shot and it may or may not be for us. We never let a resort ruin our vacation or make our WDW visit dissapointed because it turned out not to be our style or taste. We know next time it's not for us. But isn't that part of the fun of life trying something new or trying a different experience. Sometimes you thought I might not like this and it turns out you were pleasently surprised. The only way a resort will ever make my stay or visit to WDW dissapointed would be by run down rooms, bad staff and poor service. I have not ever experienced that in WDW and one time we did have an issue we talked to the front desk and explained and asked them to look. The one time we had this issue we were moved to another room that was awesome. Now that's service at its finest, no arguement or attiudes just respectful conversation backed by very good customer service and respect.

zurgandfriend

I love the lobbies of the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness lodge and the grand canyon concourse of the Contemporary but I have to agree with hatter, the Poly Lobby to me is meh. I love the Poly restaurants and the location but I last stayed there after staying in the newly refurbished Contemporary rooms the previous trip so I was underwhelmed.

pixiesteno

Like others have stated I think it is a matter of "to each his own". I think the WL has a beautiful lobby, but it has not moved me to say "I have to stay here.". The Poly has been on my "must stay here list" since I was 9 years old and first laid eyes on it in 1972! However, I am not sure that it will ever happen as personally I don't think that I would be comfortable in paying in excess of $300 per night at any hotel. I just don't think I could bring myself to do that. But the Poly is a "must visit" on every trip. We will usually head over during the middle of the day for a visit and a break from the MK on each trip.
We also like to try to tour around different resorts just to check them out during our visits, sometimes with a meal, sometimes not. I would like to take a couple of days during the holiday season to just resort hop and see how each resort does their Christmas decorations. That is my, "I love Christmas Decorations" side showing.;)

awoogala

I do agree. The Garden Wing was amazing. I stayed in BLT, and it was also calming, compared to the hustle of the main building.. but The Garden Wing won me on size room, the quiet, and the patio with a view to the water parade! If it was closer to EPCOT, it may be my favorite place I've ever stayed! (Parking right near the room was also great! The main building just seems..too much.

awoogala

I love the Poly Lobby. Happiest place in the world for me! I also love tiki bars, and tropical themed places. I love the waterfall. Just sitting there with a Lapu-lapu...sigh.
I would never pay the outrageous prices for a room there, however. I don't think it's worth it.
Now I am not at all impressed with GF. It's got a sickly southern antebellum ickiness to me, and the whole place just makes me uncomfortable! To each his own! Everyone has a style and that is why it's nice to have the different resorts... Now, if they would go back to slightly more reasonable rates, I'd try a few more!:D

Tinkerbell397

I have stayed at the Contemporary, Port Orleans Riverside when it was Dixie Landing, The Poly, The Wilderness Lodge and The Animal Kingdom Lodge. I loved them all because they were in Disney-world but I must say that The Contemporary has been my favorite since my first visit in 1987. It is often criticized for a lack of theming.....it's theme is "contemporary"..... I love the business of it and the convenience of the monorail. The California Grill is wonderful and I have never been anything but happy with a meal at The Wave. The Poly is nice but it is a bit dated and needs some sprucing up. I enjoyed the Wilderness Lodge but I found the counter service breakfast at Roaring Forks dreadful...small and slow. Breakfast was actually a chore. Whispering Canyons is a bit too much like Cracker Barrel for my liking. I prefer The Kona Cafe, The Grand Floridian Cafe or The Wave. I enjoyed The Animal Kingdom Lodge and it's great restaurants but it was just too far from the MK, EPCOT and Disney Studios. I have never stayed at The Grand Floridian but I would like to someday..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom