Once Upon a Toy gets Disney Infinity 2 days early AND a free character piece.

NowInc

Anyone who has played the Toy Story 3 game will remember how much fun the sandbox/toybox mode was. This is basically built off of that..in a HUGE scale. This is a genius idea if you think about it like this: Disney fans + collectables + games. I personally have already invested more money than I would like to admit on the game and can't wait until Sunday to get my copy...as well as the extras I purchased as well.

There are a few things about this that will feed off of a lot of peoples Disney obsessions. For one...TRADING. Power discs come in random inside booster packs. Similar to vinylmations or pins...people will be very inclined to have trade stations for things (as there are rares involved). Another thing as I said above..the figurines. They are actually nice enough to WANT (they already sell branded display cases for them).

As for "exclusives"...nothing has been confirmed BUT it has been hinted at in a few interviews that there WILL be park exclusives as well as unlockables that will tie to...you guessed it..your Disney Experience. Example: Wear your wristband, ride pirates, your game gets pirate themed extras in game to use.

The "learning" curve is pretty non existent...as its designed for kids..but its flexible enough that adults will get a lot out of it as well (not as much as they will with Project spark but thats a whole other thing).

Judging by the reviews of those who HAVE played it..its actually a TON of fun...and I hope it continues to do well and expand :)

bhg469

Anyone who has played the Toy Story 3 game will remember how much fun the sandbox/toybox mode was. This is basically built off of that..in a HUGE scale. This is a genius idea if you think about it like this: Disney fans + collectables + games. I personally have already invested more money than I would like to admit on the game and can't wait until Sunday to get my copy...as well as the extras I purchased as well.

There are a few things about this that will feed off of a lot of peoples Disney obsessions. For one...TRADING. Power discs come in random inside booster packs. Similar to vinylmations or pins...people will be very inclined to have trade stations for things (as there are rares involved). Another thing as I said above..the figurines. They are actually nice enough to WANT (they already sell branded display cases for them).

As for "exclusives"...nothing has been confirmed BUT it has been hinted at in a few interviews that there WILL be park exclusives as well as unlockables that will tie to...you guessed it..your Disney Experience. Example: Wear your wristband, ride pirates, your game gets pirate themed extras in game to use.

The "learning" curve is pretty non existent...as its designed for kids..but its flexible enough that adults will get a lot out of it as well (not as much as they will with Project spark but thats a whole other thing).

Judging by the reviews of those who HAVE played it..its actually a TON of fun...and I hope it continues to do well and expand :)
Project spark seems to have loads of potential but there are some amazingly creative people that get into these games and wow me every time. I'm very excited to see what they have up their sleeves.

SirLink

To my knowledge, the games are coded with only the characters in in those worlds in mind. It would probably be difficult to just drop any character in any game. The sandbox mode however is really intriguing! Seems like its is almost unlimited as far as potential. I cannot wait until people start making virtual Disney parks. The sandbox mode looks to be minecraft with lots of little big planet ability. Definitely not a bad idea. I will not be getting it but I'm sure it will be a huge success.

The thing is they started with Sandbox then needed single player content - thus characters and a storyline to tie the lose worlds together.

Avalanche wanted to allow all characters to play in each world, such as using Cars characters in the PoTC, etc.

Its not a technical limitation more an ideology of several teams that are in charge of "Key IP" that prevented that from happening.

Ignohippo

On Aug. 16, receive ONE (1) complimentary Disney Interactive Game Piece with the purchase of a Disney Infinity Starter Pack ($74.99, plus tax) for the PlayStation®3 system, Xbox 360® console, Wii™ console, Wii U™ console or Nintendo 3DS™ system at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace at the Walt Disney World Resort. For details, limits and restrictions, p
The article says game piece.

Yes. The free "game piece", as of now, is a free Power Disc. I've also seen it referred to as a "character piece", which makes it even more confusing (and sounds like you may be getting a character figure).

The Power Discs (in case people are confused) are small discs that the player can use to add things like health or speed to their character, add a vehicle to the Toy Box, or change the environment in the Toy Box. They are stackable, and you can have 3 at any one time in the game.

I just got off the phone with someone at OUAT. There is still confusion as to whether the giveaway will be a Power Disc or character figure. He said they had received Power Discs as the freebie, but has heard that they may get character figures to give away as well. He said he should find out tonight.

I'll update the info as soon as I hear what they're actually giving away.

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's what the power discs look like..
bonus_disney_infinity_powerdisks_large_v2.jpg

Ignohippo

That what a focus test is for to maximize sales. People wanted a feature so that it incentivised them to purchase more characters ... they haven't been given one. It'll be interesting to see the sales breakdown of starter sets vs play sets vs individual characters.

Also that would not of been the easiest "fix" - the easiest way of been to tell Skipper John to buzz off. The amount of concessions just to get characters from Pixar in has been staggering. Can't wait until Pete takes over.

As I understand it, they've received unparalleled cooperation from Pixar and the game is being championed by "Skipper John". I'm not sure where you get your info, but it isn't at all in line with what I've heard.

To me, the biggest problems are:
• They needed a better variety of figures at launch. IMO, they should have created one multi-level Story (maybe WDW or DL), where any kind of character could go into, and they should have released more of the "main" characters at launch (MM, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Princesses). I know Disneyland will be a free downloadable Toy Box at launch, but it should have been a "Story" with specific tasks to accomplish and it should have shipped with the game.

• It looks like a cash grab to only allow certain characters in certain areas. Skylanders succeeds in that, as long as I have one character of each element, I can play the entire game and get to every area. With DI, if you want to play with 2 people, you have to have 2 characters of that franchise. Skylanders allows any character into any area, as long as you open the area with the specified element character.

• The vault. Each level will contain a "vault" which is a special item you can only get if you have every character of that franchise. Once again, Skylanders doesn't stoop to such things to make people buy their figures.

• The actual Story Mode areas are limited. From what I understand, each Story area (Monsters U, Incredibles, etc.) is 6-7 levels. That really isn't enough and they needed to have come up with a way for each "Story" to be expanded down the line by DLC.

Ignohippo

To my knowledge, the games are coded with only the characters in in those worlds in mind. It would probably be difficult to just drop any character in any game. The sandbox mode however is really intriguing! Seems like its is almost unlimited as far as potential. I cannot wait until people start making virtual Disney parks. The sandbox mode looks to be minecraft with lots of little big planet ability. Definitely not a bad idea. I will not be getting it but I'm sure it will be a huge success.

You can actually download DL at launch. I'll probably alter it and make my own MK asap!

Yeah, I can understand it with the CARS playset area (after all, the environment is made for cars to drive), but there's no reason why the other areas should be limited by franchise.

Marc Gil

I think it was trying to attempt to make it's own Little Big Planet but it fell bad..

But, This game is still fun to play! Including the corny Game Boy Advance version. Hearing 8bit version of Attraction music..Just hilarious.
1242507532-00.jpg
:O
Where's my PS1?? I loved this game!

SirLink

As I understand it, they've received unparalleled cooperation from Pixar and the game is being championed by "Skipper John". I'm not sure where you get your info, but it isn't at all in line with what I've heard.

"The Buzzword of the Day - Unparalleled Cooperation" - they only got that after they changed so much stuff.
  • The team wanted every character to look like the movie counterpart. Skipper John didn't.
  • The team wanted to created one overarching story. Skipper John didn't.
  • The team wanted every character to team up. Skipper John didn't.
Thus Avalanche managed to be granted access to Pixar creations.
This wouldn't be the first time Skipper John has stuck his nose into a field where he shouldn't e.g. The Little Mermaid attraction and getting in the face of, then, Squaresoft over Toy Story and Bugs.

Captain Neo

"The Buzzword of the Day - Unparalleled Cooperation" - they only got that after they changed so much stuff.
  • The team wanted every character to look like the movie counterpart. Skipper John didn't.
  • The team wanted to created one overarching story. Skipper John didn't.
  • The team wanted every character to team up. Skipper John didn't.
Thus Avalanche managed to be granted access to Pixar creations.
This wouldn't be the first time Skipper John has stuck his nose into a field where he shouldn't e.g. The Little Mermaid attraction and getting in the face of, then, Squaresoft over Toy Story and Bugs.

He stuck his nose into The Little Mermaid to preserve Jon Musker & Ron Clements creative vision. The Imagineers were trying to load the ride up with cheap CG projections and very few figures. Honestly, they should have just went with Tony Baxter's version from the late 80s or the trackless proposal but no we got the boring omnimover instead

SirLink

He stuck his nose into The Little Mermaid to preserve Jon Musker & Ron Clements creative vision. The Imagineers were trying to load the ride up with cheap CG projections and very few figures. Honestly, they should have just went with Tony Baxter's version from the late 80s or the trackless proposal but no we got the boring omnimover instead

Honestly I would rather have CG projections to create depth than having tons of plastic mounted fish. You mean Baxters version from the 90s the original E-ticket like one was only proposed for DLP. There was also never a trackless proposal - one was similar vehicle like Peter Pan but it had track.

Captain Neo

Honestly I would rather have CG projections to create depth than having tons of plastic mounted fish. You mean Baxters version from the 90s the original E-ticket like one was only proposed for DLP. There was also never a trackless proposal - one was similar vehicle like Peter Pan but it had track.

946911913_AtvjZ-X3.jpg

Also Baxter's version was not an "e ticket" lol.

Last edited:

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Yes. The free "game piece", as of now, is a free Power Disc. I've also seen it referred to as a "character piece", which makes it even more confusing (and sounds like you may be getting a character figure).

The Power Discs (in case people are confused) are small discs that the player can use to add things like health or speed to their character, add a vehicle to the Toy Box, or change the environment in the Toy Box. They are stackable, and you can have 3 at any one time in the game.

I just got off the phone with someone at OUAT. There is still confusion as to whether the giveaway will be a Power Disc or character figure. He said they had received Power Discs as the freebie, but has heard that they may get character figures to give away as well. He said he should find out tonight.

I'll update the info as soon as I hear what they're actually giving away.
I asked a manager today, and she said CHARACTER PIECE..

She also said the character piece may be given out without purchase. They have 100 characters to hand out and only 30 something starter sets.

Ignohippo

I asked a manager today, and she said CHARACTER PIECE..

She also said the character piece may be given out without purchase. They have 100 characters to hand out and only 30 something starter sets.

You're missing the point my friend. A "character piece" means absolutely nothing - it could be either a figure or a Power Disc. It's simply a Disney-fied term because they have no idea what they're going to be giving away.

If you're following the game, you'll know the term "character piece" has never been used by anyone associated with the game and basically has no meaning.

I spoke to a manager earlier as well and they said that they had received the Power Discs as the freebies, but that they may get figures in to give away also. As of 4:00 this afternoon, they didn't know because they were waiting to see what was on their truck this evening.

Btw, with this debuting on three different consoles, there's no way they'd only have 30 on hand.

Ignohippo

Okay I just got off the phone with a manager and they WILL be giving away a character figure with the purchase of the game, but they might be somewhat limited.

They are also getting more than 30 of the starter packs for each console.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Okay I just got off the phone with a manager and they WILL be giving away a character figure with the purchase of the game, but they might be somewhat limited.

They are also getting more than 30 of the starter packs for each console.
Thanks for the extra digging. I know you have much better connections than my camping out has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom