Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

disney fan 13

imagination is right....

but that's exactly it IMO. Its in a theme park so why didn't they just go that extra mile and make it themed better!? Idk I can see where it looks artistic on a roller coaster track level...but it still is an exposed coaster.....like every six flags ride. Its ok if they had one but they honestly have 3 more just like that.

Because ya know, in the real world there are budgets, and "theming" Hulk would have meant that (needed) rides would not have been made elsewhere.

PhotoDave219

BTMR is a coaster, I guess, but it is a very mild one. Just one step up from a little-kid coaster. It is well themed.

But it isn't a thrilling, fun, WOW kind of coaster.

Real coasters go too fast to have much theme...and don't need theming to make them amazing rides.

He i like to have a water feature around when you go fast....

PhotoDave219

Anyone remember this at Sea World?

seaworld.JPG

super+hero+ski+show+1.gif

Super-Hero-Water-Ski1.png

My 6-year-old self was in awe.

Holy S thats amazing

twebber55

If Universal acquired the theme park rights to LOTR, there is no way they could ever build all of Middle Earth without devoting an entire park to it, so I think that point is moot. I think Toon Lagoon would be plenty of room for a Hobbiton, Rivendale, Minas Tirith, or Edoras.

However, I honestly think there is no place in Middle Earth to placemake that stands out above others in the series. If any theme park ever decides to devote a land/attraction to the series, it will be interesting to see how they tackle it.
totally agree..love LOTR just dont know where they would start...i guess hobbiton...similar to star wars no specific place unlike hogwarts..would be really curious

BryceM

The Lost Continent is wonderfully themed. Toon Lagoon is nice, but it's a dying breed of entertainment. The whole Comic Strip Lane area feels like a really well themed strip mall. There's a dead zone of carnival games and an unused theater. Dudley is just bad. It's fun, but it's bad.

Popeye and The Sweet Haven area are really the redeeming factors of Toon Lagoon for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Toon Lagoon is bigger. And Lord of the Rings right next to Wizarding World of Harry Potter? No thanks. That's like, two super IP themed lands side by side. That would make one half of the park dead for quite some time.

Turtle

Hotel Transylvania went through several directors and attempts before it got handed to Genndy. It was probably going to end up so-so regardless of who took over in the end.
Yeah, I know (I'm an animation buff). That's why I said be a bit cautious. The same thing happened in Brave and Cars 2 (late game director change).

BryceM

I love how exposed coaster tracks is always immediately associated with Six Flags. Six Flags is so much more than exposed roller coaster tracks...

You've got rides built on parking lots, ads for cell phone companies plastered everywhere, vomit inducing chili dogs, the latest rap hits, walls covered in gum, carnival rides, rude employees... Sounds like fun!

Honestly, there are tons of gorgeous roller coasters in the world, WITH exposed tracks. You don't have to theme every inch of track to make it a great experience. It's the way the coaster interacts with it's surroundings, the way the coaster symbolizes something greater (Hulk, Dragons, Loch Ness Monster). Hulk is certainly a very iconic and photogenic roller coaster. It's the way that it fits in with it's surroundings... The way that you can hear the roar throughout the park, the massive inversions over the lagoon, the gamma ray accelerator, etc.

YOU are a part of the Hulk. The coaster symbolizes the Hulk. Loud, dominating, scary. And don't try to argue with me about how Big Thunder or Mummy or Everest are better themed, because I know that they are. It isn't the point I'm trying to make...

Last edited:

Turtle

Brave's issue was that they gave us 2/3rds of a movie.... I fully expected another 20 minutes that took it to an awesome level, not credits.
Yeah, but the problem was that animation had already begun on the first draft of the film.Then when Mark Andrews came in (Head of Story on Ratatouille and Incredibles) he had to quickly fix what he can but the time was a big limit on how much he could've changed from Brenda Chapman's version of it.

Captain Chaos

Thanks Dave... A live action Star Wars TV series has been discussed and rumored for a long time now... I always thought ABC was a good fit since Disney owns ABC and had the theme park rights... Now that they own Star Wars/LucasFilm, this only makes sense...

RSoxNo1

Who said anything about it being bad?

I'm talking about two things: First, Universal's tendency to use or overuse video screen technology in the past several years.

Second, equally criticizing Universal when we criticize Disney. I mean If we're going to criticise Disney for the Yeti not working, we sure can criticize Universal for their inability to focus a video projector on Harry Potter.
Disney went more than 12 years without putting in a new ride in Florida that had more than a single animatronic.

RSoxNo1

No one is saying that Disney needs to build the next X2. But I am not a toddler, my kids aren't toddlers, and if Disney wants us to visit their resort they need to pony up some "NEW" attractions that aren't aimed at toddlers. They have built exactly one (1) new attraction that isn't aimed at toddlers since 1999.
I'm saying they should build the next X2. It would be the only one in Florida and would help do away with the "just for kids" misconception. Also, can't wait to ride x2 in a week.

RSoxNo1

Uni's use of screens is better than Disney's. The screens are part of an overall ride experience, not just something to baby-sit us as we sit there. We are engaged in Uni's rides. We are having an experience, not just passing a screen on which something is shown. It's a big difference.

I wouldn't mind a new, animatronic-filled, dark ride at Uni. I also wouldnt mind a ride that goes round-and-round, like most amusement parks have...those are fun, too...but I have a hard time faulting them for putting in big, amazing stuff.

It just seems odd to say, "Hey, stop with all this big, cool stuff!"
I would argue that Star Tours is the exception.

luv

All I'm saying is that now that Universal has stepped up to big-boy-theme-park-table, they're open to criticisms as well.
They are. Criticize away.

I'd like to see the Aflac duck out by where they sell tickets, wandering around saying, "Aflac!" It would be so funny and good advertising for Aflac. IMO. The ticket booths are cute, but could use some entertainment there, too.

I could stand a little more street entertainment.

Since Uni keeps getting better, I have a hard time criticizing, but the staff still needs some work.

I don't know much about fast food. If I eat there, it's usually at a CityWalk restaurant. If I'm going to pony up cash for food, I want Pastamore or Margaritaville!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom