Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue_Vongello

Want...need...some love for my favorite ride.
Hey, TDO...remember that Jungle refurb you've been bumping for years now? Stop.

Remember that Jungle Cruise movie they were trying to make? I remember reading a script online about a year ago it was SO GOOD, way better than it was supposed to be and it incorporated the Adventurer's Club ... I couldn't believe how good it was ...

... so naturally I assume that's why it never got made, too good of a script.

Goofyernmost

Arguably, they have created a new Walt Disney, one who is squeaky clean and often misquoted.
It's the fan base (bois, if it makes you feel better) that have misquoted Walt Disney again and again. They take bits of things that he said, filter out the words they don't like, paraphrase the daylights out of it and make it sound like gospel. (actually, that is pretty much how gospel is arrived at). Anyway, we all know that for his purposes, his version of Mary Poppins (i.e. Mr. Banks) was highly successful. It made Mary Poppins a household name that the books were never able to do. How do you argue with that kind of success. At the same time, it is absolutely natural for the creator of the character to be defensive about them being who they were created to be. She was mule headed, but no more then Walt himself. She had no vision of what he was going to do and why, she didn't trust him, she know next to nothing about him and was only trying to protect her interests.

Ask yourself this, if any persons first exposure to Mary Poppins was via the Disney film, how bogus do you think those books would seem?

Mr Bill

Anecdotal, but I've noticed a lot of the Brazilian tour groups with their matching custom t-shirts also have Universal Orlando logos on them along with the WDW logo this year. My favorite group had Walt Disney World in the proper font on a light blue shirt with pictures of Dragon Challenge and Harry Potter to go with it.

rael ramone

Much of the talent in the creation of Disneyland (IIRC) came from the movie studio, correct?

I suspect if TDO were ever in charge of a studio, we'd get Syfy production values (though I don't think many sheltered 4 year olds are into Sharknado)...

Lee

Adventurer
Remember that Jungle Cruise movie they were trying to make? I remember reading a script online about a year ago it was SO GOOD, way better than it was supposed to be and it incorporated the Adventurer's Club ... I couldn't believe how good it was ...

... so naturally I assume that's why it never got made, too good of a script.
Wait...wait...WHERE IS THAT!!!!!!!!!
Must. Have.

the.dreamfinder

Anecdotal, but I've noticed a lot of the Brazilian tour groups with their matching custom t-shirts also have Universal Orlando logos on them along with the WDW logo this year. My favorite group had Walt Disney World in the proper font on a light blue shirt with pictures of Dragon Challenge and Harry Potter to go with it.

Speaking on a related subject, I have noticed that MAGIC serves up less UNI ads.

PhotoDave219

OK, so is it just me or did the woman who hated dated EPCOT and is simple as a ham and American cheese on Wonder Bread pull her blog post?

I tried to share with someone and we both get a 'page doesn't exist' message. Weird. Seems like she wanted attention if she isn't a Disney fan and yet this fell into our community.

She yanked them down, yes.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Speaking on a related subject, I have noticed that MAGIC serves up less UNI ads.

I think it goes by tracking cookies.... I have Adblock at home, so I dont see any ads at all, but at work it kinda pulls something off each page. Its almost always either Uni or Disney ads. Once or twice, Sea World.

Not positive, but I think that's how it works. ?

PhotoDave219

So someone posted this blog, from a casual park goer, husband and wife, with 2 kids.. on their WDW vacation. these people aren't disney fans, just regular vacation goers.

"...Oh, and we watched the 1980's movie "Captain EO" with Michael Jackson. It was creepy. Mostly because this is clearly the forgotten park and you can tell no real effort or money has gone into making this park worthwhile for people to go to. You never hear anyone say, "Man- Epcot was a blast!!". You know why? Because it's not. It's a huge disappointment and at $371 or so for us to get in? Should have went to another park. Or Sea World. *sigh*..."

http://strandupdate.blogspot.com/2013/07/vacation-day-2-epcot-or-bust.html?m=1

I find the entire post very telling of what I keep hearing from people about WDW, and the general sentiment of the product.

She's a friggin idiot. She also has a YouTube channel....

SirLink

I hope it exposes her as the vile-tempered witch she often was. We'll see.

Eh ... is it going to show the bit of Walts life where Roy bundled him off to another country - as Walt was losing the plot.

May I point out it was her IP - she can do whatever she wanted with it - and tried to protect it before it was too late, but it is Magenta - @WDW1974 There should be a chapter about the these people in your book.

Also I take it you never read the originals books ... oh well I guess ignorance is surely bliss.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
It's amazing when people give up on life after 2-3-4 years of unemployment and wind up living with family and friends and basically play out the stretch like a last place baseball team in August that anyone can claim our economy is better.

The economy is not better, not by a long shot, for most people.

Oh, and things just make you wonder how screwed we are. Like we're about to become the top oil producing nations on the planet, yet we pay $4 plus a gallon ... While other oil producers have gas that is close to free. It's all fixed. We have allowed it and now we get to enjoy life in the Homeland with the Illusion of Choice, the Illusion of Freedom. ...But maybe I shouldn't post while paying attention to the news.

Well... I'm not saying its fixed... Not at all... If anything it's gotten worse over the past few years as more industries started to feel the effects of the economy and it is now starting to turn. Right now I see a few positive signs with lending and companies relaxing hiring freezes (granted it is a lot of part time and temporary positions, which is driving down unemployment). All my thoughts are purely based on my own assessment from work. I wouldn't give the time of day to the media's BS.

Oil... Ugh... There is no reason to continue buying it from OPEC when we are a large producer. Explain how we drill our own oil and sell it to other countries and then we buy from others.

Anyway if more companies do hire temps... Although it isn't a true recovery it could spark the start of a real one as money gets back in the hands of the people via paychecks.

SirLink

On Imagination again, I have heard that two franchises were being considered for this pavilion a while back. In the interest of community sanity, I refuse to put them out here because 1.) this was a ways back; 2.) I have never been able to confirm; 3.) most fans would not be pleased with either choice, and might be apocalyptic over one.

No, don't ask me, even in private. You don-t want to know and I don't know how serious they truly were/are.

Wallace and Gromit and Phineas and Ferb or Muppets - two out of those three...right?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
True, but it was her property that Walt wanted.

And he was extremely difficult himself to work with as any of the greats that worked with him -- and are left -- can attest.

He was a visionary and a genius, but also obstinate and not nice at times. In other words, he was human.

sad thing is many people likely believe he is a character created by TWDC ...no, I am not kidding.

Disney would really do right by Walt to do an academy award deserving biopic of Walt and his creation of TWDC. They are fortunate to have such an American icon as the founder. He wasn't just a producer, animator or bussinessman... He was a world icon at the time and a true visionary... He was also human and one of the most relatable people that ever became so huge in culture.

Captain Neo

Technically, Fitzgerald was portfolio leader for Disneyland. Tony was only in charge of minor projects for Disneyland Park.

Wait are you sure? I thought around 2007/8 when there was a big shakeup at WDI Baxter got Disneyland, Weiss got DCA, and Fitzgerald got all of WDW. When Star Tours 2 was in production ('08-'11) my understanding was that Baxter was still portfolio leader for Disneyland because even Al Lutz mentioned he was the one who spearheaded the refresh of Rivers of America, bringing back the Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough, etc. I thought it was fairly recently (like last year) that Baxter was kicked off and Fitzgerald took over.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Wallace and Gromit and Phineas and Ferb or Muppets - two out of those three...right?

Many, many moons ago it was rumored that Imagination was getting a Monsters Inc. overlay. It may have been before the most recent refurb.

I may have missed it in my scanning of this and the double quickie thread, but is opening up the top floor playground part of the Imagination refurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom