Magic Carpets of Aladdin

Castle Cake Apologist

Bouncing on the Carpets is fairly common among guests (especially Cast Members in the parks on their off days, who I guess would be more "in the know") and a hell of a lot of fun...

I don't really see any way that it could harm the ride system. I've always assumed it was a built-in feature. A sort of Easter Egg if you will. I know that none of the other spinners are able to do it. I used to work Astro, and can definitely tell you that there's no way to bounce the rockets.

Really, the bouncing is the only thing that makes riding Carpets tolerable to me. It really is fun.

BwanaBob

How would you know that it won't ruin the attraction? Looks like you definitely are an expert............
Let me re-phrase my post for the sake of a few:

The constant pulsating of the actuators may put undue stress on the wear rings and seals inside the barrels. These will need to be replaced eventually, as most seals do with any application. The size and counterweight of the arms, including each carpet, were taken into consideration. At some point, if it becomes a problem that seals are giving and arms can not hold their tolerance under regular testing, then engineering will undoubtedly adjust the sensitivity and this thread will be a mute point

But you're right. For the sake of the post, I'm no expert on Carpets itself. Next time I see one of the 'engineering' chaps in there, I'll ask what the tolerances are set to and what kind of issues they perceive down the road.

Last edited:

djlaosc

I don't understand the Magic Carpet hate. On our last visit, this was my son's favorite ride.

It mostly seems to be duplication and location.

There are now 4 spinners in the Magic Kingdom.
When they added the Carpets to Adventureland, then changed the surrounding area (and it is no longer as good as it was).

If WDW used one of the Adventureland expansion plots for a complete Agrabah area (Carpets, Aladdin show from DCA, Aladdin dark ride), then people would complain less about them.

MOXOMUMD

The constant pulsating of the actuators may put undue stress on the wear rings and seals inside the barrels. These will need to be replaced eventually, as most seals do with any application. The size and counterweight of the arms, including each carpet, were taken into consideration. At some point, if it becomes a problem that seals are giving and arms can not hold their tolerance under regular testing, then engineering will undoubtedly adjust the sensitivity and this thread will be a mute point

But you're right. For the sake of the post, I'm no expert on Carpets itself. Next time I pass the 500 gal air tank in the tunnel (next to the pump system for Tiki's curtain waterfall) and I see one of the 'engineering' chaps in there, I'll ask what the tolerances are set to and what kind of issues they perceive down the road.

:confused: Umm, yes. :D

Tomi-Rocket

The memory I have of riding MCoA are this - my first time last Nov. and the party of 3-4 in front of us slowly grew to 14-15 by people cutting in line to join their party. SO much fun!

puntagordabob

I don't understand the Magic Carpet hate. On our last visit, this was my son's favorite ride.

This versus this. The pre-carpet view shows an area full of open space and life..... I remember a fountain too, but as it was so long ago the fountain could be a mistaken memory. I remember this area being a nice relaxing area that transported you to what seemed to be another time and exotic place... however with the addition of the carpets below in second picture this area is now cramped and clausterphobic, not to mention crowded even on the Best of days due to the constriction the carpets creates for traffic flow.

Walt Disney said that his Florida Project has the Blessings of Size...and yet the powers in Orlando prefer to cram more and more into tighter spaces or else they destroy x number of things to bring in one new thing...

So I think most people do not hate the carpets...but rather simply hate WHERE they are located..... hope these pictures help....somewhere I have some really nice pics of Pre-carpet Adventureland and if I find them Ill attempt to remember to post....
WDW-205%20-%20Adventureland%20at%20Night.jpg

tumblr_lmukpzxD8t1qlvrrxo1_500.png

KaliSplash

This versus this. The pre-carpet view shows an area full of open space and life..... I remember a fountain too, but as it was so long ago the fountain could be a mistaken memory. I remember this area being a nice relaxing area that transported you to what seemed to be another time and exotic place... however with the addition of the carpets below in second picture this area is now cramped and clausterphobic, not to mention crowded even on the Best of days due to the constriction the carpets creates for traffic flow.

Walt Disney said that his Florida Project has the Blessings of Size...and yet the powers in Orlando prefer to cram more and more into tighter spaces or else they destroy x number of things to bring in one new thing...

So I think most people do not hate the carpets...but rather simply hate WHERE they are located..... hope these pictures help....somewhere I have some really nice pics of Pre-carpet Adventureland and if I find them Ill attempt to remember to post....

KaliSplash

Would love to see this moved to Morocco in World Showcase. World Showcase needs more rides and especially more things that children find enjoyable. Also, poor EPCOT doesn't have a spinner! :)

Neph-Neph

That first picture fills me with so much happiness. That's my childhood right there.

puntagordabob

Would love to see this moved to Morocco in World Showcase. World Showcase needs more rides and especially more things that children find enjoyable. Also, poor EPCOT doesn't have a spinner! :)

As much as I would love to have the Carpets leave Adventureland, placing it in World Showcase would seriously ruin the entire theming of the World Showcase.... however somewhere in the Studios would be great as they do not have a spinner there at all..

Clever Name

But you're right. For the sake of the post, I'm no expert on Carpets itself. Next time I pass the 500 gal air tank in the tunnel (next to the pump system for Tiki's curtain waterfall) and I see one of the 'engineering' chaps in there, I'll ask what the tolerances are set to and what kind of issues they perceive down the road.
I assume that the "regular testing" of which you speak, is done without passengers on board and all CM's are protected against possible injury. If that is the case, then I'm sure that most of us would like to see a catastrophic failure of the spinner causing several of the carpets to come loose from their mountings and slam into the Tiki Room at high speed ending in a total destruction of both attractions. With the proper trajectory and sufficient mass of the carpets, CBJ might be taken out too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I assume that the "regular testing" of which you speak, is done without passengers on board and all CM's are protected against possible injury. If that is the case, then I'm sure that most of us would like to see a catastrophic failure of the spinner causing several of the carpets to come loose from their mountings and slam into the Tiki Room at high speed ending in a total destruction of both attractions. With the proper trajectory and sufficient mass of the carpets, CBJ might be taken out too.

That would be awesome! Then they can all be replaced with themed bathrooms and benches!

Or maybe a Jack Sparrow meet and greet?

Or, now that booze is allowed on the MK, a bar?

Spike-in-Berlin

Magic Carpets is perhaps the worst imagineering EVER in WDW. They built it on AL plaza and created an area that often is congested, they added a tiny little Aggrabah section to the surrounding buildings, that doesn't fit in at all, between colonial Africa and South Seas and creates a theming overkill, spoils the entire area and all that for a boring, absolutely nothing special, cheap spinner attraction that is, a shame for TDO but who is really surprised by this, the ONLY addition to the Adventureland attraction roster since the 1970ies! I would greatly appreciate a removal of both, attraction and Aggrabah-section.

cheezbat

Magic Carpets is perhaps the worst imagineering EVER in WDW. They built it on AL plaza and created an area that often is congested, they added a tiny little Aggrabah section to the surrounding buildings, that doesn't fit in at all, between colonial Africa and South Seas and creates a theming overkill, spoils the entire area and all that for a boring, absolutely nothing special, cheap spinner attraction that is, a shame for TDO but who is really surprised by this, the ONLY addition to the Adventureland attraction roster since the 1970ies! I would greatly appreciate a removal of both, attraction and Aggrabah-section.

I totally agree! Either move the spinner to a corner of Fantasyland or get rid of it completely.

How come we can't actually get a cool attraction based on Aladdin? I mean seriously! I think of the new classics its the most underused in all the parks. Mermaid gets a show and a ride...Beauty and the Beast get a show an elaborate meet n greet and restaurant, Lion King gets a show, and Aladdin only gets a spinner? Really?

Clever Name

I totally agree! Either move the spinner to a corner of Fantasyland or get rid of it completely.

How come we can't actually get a cool attraction based on Aladdin? I mean seriously! I think of the new classics its the most underused in all the parks. Mermaid gets a show and a ride...Beauty and the Beast get a show an elaborate meet n greet and restaurant, Lion King gets a show, and Aladdin only gets a spinner? Really?
Aladdin is a rogue, scoundrel, liar and a thief. He hangs out all day with Abu and uses the excuse of poverty to rationalize stealing from the local merchants. After Disney creates a really good attraction for Aladdin, I think they should get the rights to Dexter and plan their next big attraction around him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom